SMW Search extensions

Ryan Glasnapp
Is anyone aware of any Search extensions that interface with SMW?

I know SMW+ used to have one, but that's been gone for a while.

Mostly I'm just thinking something that allows you to filter search results based on properties.

Thanks!
--Ryan

Re: SMW Search extensions

Neill Mitchell
Hi Ryan.

There is the Filtered format of the Semantic Results Format extension. I often couple it with a Semantic Forms runQuery to provide search capabilities with property filters.

You can see it working on a site we're currently building here:
http://www.prescientsoftware.co.uk/localoffer_final/index.php/Special:RunQuery/Guided_Search

The site doesn't is currently still being populated with data, but you'll get the idea.

Or here: http://www.hampshiregateway.info

Click the "Find regular club activities near your postcode" button and enter GU32 1EP in the Postcode field

Also here: http://www.aroundisleofwight.info

Just click on a subsection e.g. Days Out

Hope this helps!

All the best
Neill.

On 22/08/14 15:58, Ryan Glasnapp wrote:
Is anyone aware of any Search extensions that interface with SMW?

I know SMW+ used to have one, but that's been gone for a while.

Mostly I'm just thinking something that allows you to filter search results based on properties.

Thanks!
--Ryan

Re: SMW Search extensions

Yury Katkov
Hi Ryan!

I you want a fully-fledged faceted search with full-text search
features, like the one you see in Amazon, and that can replace
MediaWiki search, then the answer is no. There is no such tool for
SMW.

Your options:
1) Semantic Drilldown. Faceted search without fulltext search support.
 + Very nice setup interface and very flexible extension.
 - Incomprehensible appearance by default: you will have to write your
own CSS to make it clear.
 - can be slow on the big amount of properties
2) Filtered result format. Good for visualizing the queries (<1K-2K
pages I guess). Nice setup of facets, allow search by property values.
Don't include fulltextsearch by pages.

-----
Yury Katkov

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Ryan Glasnapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is anyone aware of any Search extensions that interface with SMW?
>
> I know SMW+ used to have one, but that's been gone for a while.
>
> Mostly I'm just thinking something that allows you to filter search results
> based on properties.
>
> Thanks!
> --Ryan

Re: SMW Search extensions

Ryan Glasnapp
Thanks, I'm already using Drilldown with some custom templates to provide alternate browsing method.

I knew of the filtered result in SRF, but hadn't thought of using it like some of your example Neill. Thanks I'll take a closer look at that.

--Ryan

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ryan!

I you want a fully-fledged faceted search with full-text search
features, like the one you see in Amazon, and that can replace
MediaWiki search, then the answer is no. There is no such tool for
SMW.

Your options:
1) Semantic Drilldown. Faceted search without fulltext search support.
 + Very nice setup interface and very flexible extension.
 - Incomprehensible appearance by default: you will have to write your
own CSS to make it clear.
 - can be slow on the big amount of properties
2) Filtered result format. Good for visualizing the queries (<1K-2K
pages I guess). Nice setup of facets, allow search by property values.
Don't include fulltextsearch by pages.

-----
Yury Katkov

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Ryan Glasnapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any Search extensions that interface with SMW?
>
> I know SMW+ used to have one, but that's been gone for a while.
>
> Mostly I'm just thinking something that allows you to filter search results
> based on properties.
>
> Thanks!
> --Ryan

Re: SMW Search extensions

Argbert
Hi Ryan,

I have a not-flawlessly-working version in SMW 1.9 of the former
SMWPlus-fulltext working on solr.

Former had two parallel approaches: Every new page pushed itself to the
solr, and there was a dataimporthandler-config to rebuild the index.

I dropped the push functionality and adopted the dataimporthandler to the
new smwstore. Via cronjob, the dataimporthandler is running every minute in
incremental mode - no performance issues here. As it won't delete removed
pages, I run a full import regularly, deleting the old index. Thus, the
index works fine, after all. The search page has full faceting for
namespaces, categories and properties.

Still there remain some problems: date formats are not handled well (you
can't select dates as faceting values), some properties don't work properly
for faceting, but I could not get into analysis yet. Probably we have to
adjust the schema.xml or something.

So it works not too bad, but far from perfect (on Ubuntu).

I will try to collect all necessary information and files for you to try
(and modify) it and send it to the group this weekend. Please don’t expect
professional level of code or documentation...

Kind regards

Argi