Quantcast

SMW as form interface to RDF data

Mikael Pesonen

Hi,

We are looking for a web form system with which we can add, edit and
view records of data. For example people, document metadata, IT infra
(devices, software) etc.
Data is stored in a Jena triplestore. We are handling triplets only so
no need to edit or view text content for which media wiki is mainly for?

So with SMW is it possible to do following?
- define a set of data (triplets) which make up a logical unit using
some kind of templates. For example "person" with name, email, phone
number etc or "document" with title, creator etc
- input boxes have search function built in. So for example when adding
a creator of a document (dcterms:creator), people can be searched by
typing few letters of name, and selected people's id will be stored as
creator
- bonus: inplace editor - if person is not found, user can open a
inplace mini form to input new person with required fields.

I read some of SMW doc and Page Forms extension but could not figure out
if this is possible.

Br,
Mikael Pesonen

--
Lingsoft - 30 years of Leading Language Management

www.lingsoft.fi

Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books

Mikael Pesonen
System Engineer

e-mail: [hidden email]
Tel. +358 2 279 3300

Time zone: GMT+2

Helsinki Office
Eteläranta 10
FI-00130 Helsinki
FINLAND

Turku Office
Kauppiaskatu 5 A
FI-20100 Turku
FINLAND

Re: SMW as form interface to RDF data

Krabina Bernhard
Hello Mikael,

welcome to SMW!

> So with SMW is it possible to do following?
> - define a set of data (triplets) which make up a logical unit using
> some kind of templates. For example "person" with name, email, phone
> number etc or "document" with title, creator etc

yes. especially in conjunction with the Page Forms extension, this is the way to do it. You define a categoy, e. g. person and then a form and a template. the form is for inputing the data elements, the template for actually assigning the values the user has put in and displaying the resulting page the way you want.

> - input boxes have search function built in. So for example when adding
> a creator of a document (dcterms:creator), people can be searched by
> typing few letters of name, and selected people's id will be stored as
> creator

yes. page forms calls this "autocompletion" and its quite powerful.

> - bonus: inplace editor - if person is not found, user can open a
> inplace mini form to input new person with required fields.

can be done by putting a page form parser function next to the input field. But there is also another way: the user simply enters the name of a person that is not found in the field anyway. it results in a MediaWiki red link. Page forms can be defined that open the correct person form if the user clicks on it.

cheers,
Bernhard

Re: SMW as form interface to RDF data

Mikael Pesonen

Hi, thank you for quick reply!

Okay this is looking very good, so I'll install SMW and continue studying.

Br,
Mikael

--
Lingsoft - 30 years of Leading Language Management

www.lingsoft.fi

Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books

Mikael Pesonen
System Engineer

e-mail: [hidden email]
Tel. +358 2 279 3300

Time zone: GMT+2

Helsinki Office
Eteläranta 10
FI-00130 Helsinki
FINLAND

Turku Office
Kauppiaskatu 5 A
FI-20100 Turku
FINLAND

Re: SMW as form interface to RDF data

Yaron Koren-2
Mikael - it's not clear from your question; are you asking about a normal
usage of SMW, which connects wikitext to a triplestore; or are you asking
about using SMW and the rest *without a wiki* at all - i.e., having all
this software connect directly to a triplestore? If it's the latter, it's
not possible. I guess you would be asking about something like Ruby on
Rails, but for a triplestore: a framework that essentially builds
interfaces for viewing and modifying a data store. I don't know if such a
thing exists, but it certainly sounds like it could be useful, for people
who use triplestores. If that's what you want, though, you may be better
off using a wiki anyway, even though that's not your current plan - besides
the fact that there's tons of software already written for it, it gives you
a version history for everything, which can be very useful.

-Yaron

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Mikael Pesonen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, thank you for quick reply!
>
> Okay this is looking very good, so I'll install SMW and continue studying.
>
> Br,
> Mikael
>

> On 15.3.2017 13:33, Krabina Bernhard wrote:
> > Hello Mikael,
> >
> > welcome to SMW!
> >
> >> So with SMW is it possible to do following?
> >> - define a set of data (triplets) which make up a logical unit using
> >> some kind of templates. For example "person" with name, email, phone
> >> number etc or "document" with title, creator etc
> > yes. especially in conjunction with the Page Forms extension, this is
> the way to do it. You define a categoy, e. g. person and then a form and a
> template. the form is for inputing the data elements, the template for
> actually assigning the values the user has put in and displaying the
> resulting page the way you want.
> >
> >> - input boxes have search function built in. So for example when adding
> >> a creator of a document (dcterms:creator), people can be searched by
> >> typing few letters of name, and selected people's id will be stored as
> >> creator
> > yes. page forms calls this "autocompletion" and its quite powerful.
> >
> >> - bonus: inplace editor - if person is not found, user can open a
> >> inplace mini form to input new person with required fields.
> > can be done by putting a page form parser function next to the input
> field. But there is also another way: the user simply enters the name of a
> person that is not found in the field anyway. it results in a MediaWiki red
> link. Page forms can be defined that open the correct person form if the
> user clicks on it.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Bernhard
>
> --
> Lingsoft - 30 years of Leading Language Management
>
> www.lingsoft.fi
>
> Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and
> Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books
>
> Mikael Pesonen
> System Engineer
>
> e-mail: [hidden email]
> Tel. +358 2 279 3300
>
> Time zone: GMT+2
>
> Helsinki Office
> Eteläranta 10
> FI-00130 Helsinki
> FINLAND
>
> Turku Office
> Kauppiaskatu 5 A
> FI-20100 Turku
> FINLAND

Re: SMW as form interface to RDF data

Mikael Pesonen

Hi, yes we would only need form based editing of triples - without wiki.
As you said there aren't so much options to choose from.

So we would have to setup some kind of dummy wiki then in order to use
semantic forms?

Thanks,
Mikael

On 15.3.2017 15:36, Yaron Koren wrote:

> [...]
>
>     www.lingsoft.fi <http://www.lingsoft.fi>
>
>     Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's
>     and Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books
>
>     Mikael Pesonen
>     System Engineer
>
>     e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Tel. +358 2 279 3300 <tel:%2B358%202%20279%203300>
>
>     Time zone: GMT+2
>
>     Helsinki Office
>     Eteläranta 10
>     FI-00130 Helsinki
>     FINLAND
>
>     Turku Office
>     Kauppiaskatu 5 A
>     FI-20100 Turku
>     FINLAND

Lingsoft - 30 years of Leading Language Management

www.lingsoft.fi

Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books

Oh okay so direct editing/viewing of triples in a Jena TDB is not
possible at all?

Mikael

--
Lingsoft - 30 years of Leading Language Management

www.lingsoft.fi

Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books

Mikael Pesonen
System Engineer

e-mail: [hidden email]
Tel. +358 2 279 3300

Time zone: GMT+2

Helsinki Office
Eteläranta 10
FI-00130 Helsinki
FINLAND

Turku Office
Kauppiaskatu 5 A
FI-20100 Turku
FINLAND

Re: SMW as form interface to RDF data

Yaron Koren-2
There may be a way to do direct viewing and editing of a triplestore, but
not via MediaWiki or any of its extensions. And yes, if you wanted to use
the software, you'd have to set up a wiki - and it couldn't be a "dummy
wiki"; the actual data storage would have to happen in the wiki, and then
the contents of the triplestore would just reflect the current contents of
the wiki.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Mikael Pesonen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > www.lingsoft.fi
> >
> > Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and
> Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books
> >
> > Mikael Pesonen
> > System Engineer
> >
> > e-mail:[hidden email]
> > Tel. +358 2 279 3300
> >
> > Time zone: GMT+2
> >
> > Helsinki Office
> > Eteläranta 10
> > FI-00130 Helsinki
> > FINLAND
> >
> > Turku Office
> > Kauppiaskatu 5 A
> > FI-20100 Turku
> > FINLAND
>
> --
> Lingsoft - 30 years of Leading Language Management
>
> www.lingsoft.fi
>
> Speech Applications - Language Management - Translation - Reader's and
> Writer's Tools - Text Tools - E-books and M-books

Okay thank you for the help. Still couple of systems to check out:
OntoWiki and Vivo...

Br,
Mikael