Quantcast

SMW hosting

Raffi
Hi - I've scoured the web looking for a hosting company offering SMW as an
easy install script on a shared server.  Some of them offer Mediawiki
installs in their control panels, but not Semantic Mediawiki so far as I
can tell.

Does anyone know of any?  If there aren't any I can just do the MW install,
then the SMW, but even for that I'd be interested in hosting
recommendations.

The site should have its own domain name, will have hundreds of pages, up
to maybe a couple of thousand, and probably generate not much traffic.  I'd
guess a few dozen to a hundred visitors per day.

Thanks!

Re: SMW hosting

badon
The only one I know if is Referata:

http://www.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

However, if you can handle administration of the site yourself, I recommend doing it that way. If you're not sure yet, you can always do it with Referata first and then move later if you want to.

Re: SMW hosting

Robin Patterson
Wikia sites are allowed to have SMW, SF, and SDD on request if you know how
to handle it; see http://help.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Semantic_MediaWiki.
There's little or no support, but this list provides a bit of support.
I would have mentioned that earlier, but the requester wanted his own domain
name, which neither Referata nor Wikia would provide, I presume..

Robin F Patterson, 88 Motuhara Road,
Plimmerton, Porirua City, New Zealand

http://genealogy.wikia.com/wiki/User:Robin_Patterson
http://newzealand.wikia.com/wiki/User:Robin_Patterson

> However, if you can handle administration of the site yourself, I
> recommend
> doing it that way. If you're not sure yet, you can always do it with
> Referata first and then move later if you want to.

> Nabble.com.

Re: SMW hosting

david-217
El dv 02 de 03 de 2012 a les 21:59 +1300, en/na Robin Patterson va
escriure:
> but the requester wanted his own domain
> name, which neither Referata nor Wikia would provide, I presume..

With the options "Ad-Supported" or "Enterprise" you can use your own
domain name in referata wikis.
See:
http://www.referata.com/wiki/Referata:Features

Re: SMW hosting

Robin Patterson
I see. Yes, sorry, I had forgotten that I once looked at Referata's terms
and didn't fully examine the "pay" versions.
So the only problem might be the file storage, and the original enquirer
will know whether that is a problem.
Robin

> El dv 02 de 03 de 2012 a les 21:59 +1300, en/na Robin Patterson va
> escriure:
>> but the requester wanted his own domain
>> name, which neither Referata nor Wikia would provide, I presume..
>
> With the options "Ad-Supported" or "Enterprise" you can use your own
> domain name in referata wikis.
> See:
> http://www.referata.com/wiki/Referata:Features
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: SMW hosting

Raffi

> Thanks for the thoughts.  I've looked into Wikia and Referata.  Wikia I
just don't see as working for this site.  I don't want ads at all.
 Referata I have not ruled out, but it has space limitations and a
noticeably higher price tag than say some of these mass hosting sites.  So
I'm curious if any of the mass hosting sites you guys use have SMW as one
of the scripts in their easy install script libraries, and if not whether
any of you have good experience hosting relatively low volume SMW sites on
one of these sites costing around $10/mo...  or more, or less, I'd like to
hear recommendations or even problems you've had that I could avoid!!

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:24:42 -0800 (PST)
> From: badon <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Semediawiki-user] SMW hosting
> To: [hidden email]
>
> The only one I know if is Referata:
>
> http://www.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> However, if you can handle administration of the site yourself, I recommend
> doing it that way. If you're not sure yet, you can always do it with
> Referata first and then move later if you want to.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 21:59:41 +1300
> From: "Robin Patterson" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Semediawiki-user] SMW hosting
> To: "badon" <[hidden email]>,
>        <[hidden email]>
>
> Wikia sites are allowed to have SMW, SF, and SDD on request if you know how
> to handle it; see http://help.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Semantic_MediaWiki.
> There's little or no support, but this list provides a bit of support.
> I would have mentioned that earlier, but the requester wanted his own
> domain
> name, which neither Referata nor Wikia would provide, I presume..
>
> Robin F Patterson, 88 Motuhara Road,
> Plimmerton, Porirua City, New Zealand
>
> http://genealogy.wikia.com/wiki/User:Robin_Patterson
> http://newzealand.wikia.com/wiki/User:Robin_Patterson

Just some thoughts for you to consider in making your decisions:

All hosts that do not use ZFS in a fundamental level of their architecture will gradually lose your data. I don't know of any inexpensive hosts that can do preinstalled SMW for you, that also won't lose your data eventually. I recommend finding a good ZFS host, and then learning to admin your SMW site yourself. Another good option is to find a quality ZFS host, and then hire someone to install and maintain SMW for you.

Either way, I have to admit that having an SMW site is not as easy as I thought it would be. I have had to learn a lot in the last year to do everything myself, and even then, I've had to get help from time to time. In general, MediaWiki and everything related to it is pretty dynamic over time. It's not "set and forget", unfortunately.

Because of that, you end up having to make the choice between having everything done for you, or having to do everything yourself. Any options in between can be very expensive. The advantage of learning to do it yourself is that you control your site. You can move it when needed, and you can upgrade, add features, or do basic maintenance tasks, whenever you want to.

Whatever option you choose, if you're serious about keeping your site online for a while, you will probably eventually learn the basics of SMW admin anyway, so anything you do to avoid that will only delay the process.

One final bit of info: If you want to save a lot of money on hosting, and you plan to do VERY FREQUENT BACKUPS, nosupportlinuxhosting.com is only $1 per month. They use ZFS in their data storage architecture (even though the OS is linux!), so your data won't gradually be lost - BUT, it could ALL be lost suddenly whenever they need to do something drastic, like wiping drives to fix a security intrusion.

For $1 per month, they expect you to keep your own backups and be able to restore your own site when something like that happens. If your site is small and you can handle backups and the possibility of sudden loss, you could probably go with NSLH, and get quality hosting for an extremely cheap price. Then, use the money you save to hire help when you need it, and apply it to ensuring your data is ready for something bad to happen to it suddenly.

None of these options are perfect. The only one that can approach your idea of perfection is the one that you do entirely yourself.

I hope this info helps.