SMW integration in other tools

Krabina Bernhard
Hi,

as great as SMW is by itself, I'd like to hear your thoughts or experiences regarding integration in or collaboration with other tools.

In some cases, SMW can be a real competitor to other "bigger" solutions, in other it might not have a chance to compete. Many other tools offer wikis as well and we know, how poor they perform compared to SMW. So the question is, how could an integration of SMW be done? With what other tools? What would be feasible and what not?

Let me share my first thoughts:

Microsoft Sharepoint
--------------------
* focus: portal/document management
* SMW replacing the internal wiki

Liferay
-------
* focus: enterprise portal
* SMW replacing the internal wiki
* http://www.liferay.com/de/documentation/liferay-portal/6.2/user-guide/-/ai/working-together-with-the-wiki-liferay-portal-6-2-user-guide-08-en
* http://www.liferay.com/de/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Wiki+Portlet
* the wiki "is completely integrated with Liferay’s user management, tagging, and security features."
* Java-based

Alfresco
--------
* focus: document management
* SMW replacing the internal wiki
* Java-based
* PHP Api

Drupal
-------
* focus: web cms
* usecase unclear...
* PHP based!

Zimbra/Zarafa/OpenText..
-----------------------
* focus: groupware
* SMW adding wiki to the groupware, importing/exporting content (LDAP, vcard, ical)...

others?

-Bernhard

Re: [Semediawiki-user] SMW integration in other tools

Argbert
Hi Bernhard,

I mainly use SMW as a means of information integration, which somehow seems to point into the same direction as your topic.

One example:

I integrated SMW into a document management system by linking up both systems. For that, I created some special properties to hold the object and parent id of the dms. For every page created, I created a linking object in the dms via REST and set the special properties with the ids received from the REST call. The objects created in the dms where simply html pages containing a redirect to the respective page. The pages content then was pushed into the index of the solr the dms used.

Thus, users could query the content of the dms and the smw via the search interface. SMW results showed up as the referring html objects in the dms. If opened, they were displayed in the browser interface of the dms fat client and could be edited and saved there.

The objects were saved to a folder that had certain access rights applied to, which were respected by solr using filters. It was possible to install several SMWs for different access rights.

Then we began automatically importing external data into the smw, like support tickets and knowledge base articles. Thus, the dms became a viable single point of information.

I hope, I could somewhat describe the approach.

In my opinion, the flexibility and robustness SMW provides somewhat logically lead to the integration of data and information from heterogenous sources and their projection onto a common data model.

Regards

Argi

[...]

November Webinars for C, C++, Fortran Developers Accelerate application performance with scalable programming models. Explore techniques for threading, error checking, porting, and tuning. Get the most from the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60136231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: SMW integration in other tools

planetenxin
Hi Bernhard,

we usually use Data Integration Tools to extract, transform, load (ETL)
data from and to SMW using the MediaWiki API.

This approach is generic and saves us from creating tool specific
extensions. This way, one can easily integrate other databases, excel,
web services, SAP Solutions and so on.

If you scan the market for ETL tools you might find some promising
candidates...

/Alexander Gesinn

Am 12.11.2013 08:40, schrieb Krabina Bernhard:

> Hi,
>
> as great as SMW is by itself, I'd like to hear your thoughts or experiences regarding integration in or collaboration with other tools.
>
> In some cases, SMW can be a real competitor to other "bigger" solutions, in other it might not have a chance to compete. Many other tools offer wikis as well and we know, how poor they perform compared to SMW. So the question is, how could an integration of SMW be done? With what other tools? What would be feasible and what not?
>
> Let me share my first thoughts:
>
> Microsoft Sharepoint
> --------------------
> * focus: portal/document management
> * SMW replacing the internal wiki
>
> Liferay
> -------
> * focus: enterprise portal
> * SMW replacing the internal wiki
> * http://www.liferay.com/de/documentation/liferay-portal/6.2/user-guide/-/ai/working-together-with-the-wiki-liferay-portal-6-2-user-guide-08-en
> * http://www.liferay.com/de/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Wiki+Portlet
> * the wiki "is completely integrated with Liferay’s user management, tagging, and security features."
> * Java-based
>
> Alfresco
> --------
> * focus: document management
> * SMW replacing the internal wiki
> * Java-based
> * PHP Api
>
> Drupal
> -------
> * focus: web cms
> * usecase unclear...
> * PHP based!
>
> Zimbra/Zarafa/OpenText..
> -----------------------
> * focus: groupware
> * SMW adding wiki to the groupware, importing/exporting content (LDAP, vcard, ical)...
>
> others?
>
> -Bernhard

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Re: SMW integration in other tools

vitalif
Hi! Generally you're correct, but why do you say `SMW` instead of just `MW` or `MW+extensions` or even `MW bundle` like our wiki.4intra.net one?

I mean MW is a great wiki software even without SMW - the latter only provides you with a small aspect of knowledgebase management.