SMW marketing

Markus Krötzsch-2
Hi again,

there has been some discussion at the SMW Camp that we should improver our
marketing to engage more users and contributors into the project, which should
help to improve the software and its extensions, user support, and overall
impact. This email is meant to initiate a discussion to collect concrete
proposals.

A number of ideas have been brought forward:

(1) Promotional material: we should print T-shirts and laptop stickers. This
idea will need to have some funding, but most of all it hinges upon the
creation of a logo (see my other email). We should have this settled for the
next meeting at the latest.

(2) More documentary media: Screencasts, videos of introduction talks, and
maybe other media (preconfigured VMWare images have been mentioned) would be
helpful to allow for a quicker start in SMW. We are soliciting contributions
here: if you have resources to produce such material, do not hesitate to send
it to us so we can include it on our site or put up a link.

(3) Blog posts: The first thing that anyone can do is to publish blog entries
about successful applications of SMW. We are happy to set up links from our
homepage if you send us the link.

(4) Popular media publications: Articles in (technology or other) magazines
and the like are reaching many users. We should look out for opportunities for
raising awareness in this way. I don't see a concrete action that one can take
here at the moment.

(5) Social Web activities: Dedicated groups in social networking sites could
be of some use. Maybe we should start a Facebook group. A LinkedIn group was
launched by Philipp recently. Twitter currently is also raising awareness in
some groups. However, please keep important communication activities on this
list, as it is otherwise very hard to follow the various discussion threads.

(6) More aggressive linking home: SMW could by default replace the "powered
by" button of MediaWiki in the standard skins (configurable, but enabled by
default). We have been too modest to do this so far, but it might by of some
use. Not sure if the layout of the button would allow for a shared "MW/SMW"
linking there. This action also depends on the new logo.

These are all proposals that I recall from the meeting. Comments,
contributions, or further ideas are welcome.

Cheers,

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch  <[hidden email]>
* Personal page: http://korrekt.org

Re: SMW marketing

Alex Kozak
I think the best way to market SMW is to show how powerful it can be, and
the best way to do that would be to show off use cases. The power of SMW
isn't just in what it can do, but in what it can do compared to how
difficult it is to get going. Using SMW an organization could set up a the
infrastructure for a collaborative database within hours. There are plenty
of good examples of this.

But I also think that it's going to be really hard to market it without all
of the necessary extensions getting built in in some way. When I tell people
about SMW and they're interested in trying it, I then have to qualify my
recommendation with a whole list of extensions that they need to research.
It would be nice if that wasn't necessary and if it were all part of the
core functionality.

I also think that there are some desired features still missing, the biggest
of which being better support for multi-lingual wikis. I understand this is
mostly a problem with MediaWiki, but the semantic aspect adds an extra layer
of complexity. Hopefully I'll be able to share a paper that I've been
working on about that soon.

- Alex

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Markus Krötzsch <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> was
> launched by Philipp recently. Twitter currently is also raising awareness
> in
> some groups. However, please keep important communication activities on
> this
> list, as it is otherwise very hard to follow the various discussion
> threads.
>
> (6) More aggressive linking home: SMW could by default replace the "powered
> by" button of MediaWiki in the standard skins (configurable, but enabled by
> default). We have been too modest to do this so far, but it might by of
> some
> use. Not sure if the layout of the button would allow for a shared "MW/SMW"
> linking there. This action also depends on the new logo.
>

> These are all proposals that I recall from the meeting. Comments,
> contributions, or further ideas are welcome.

Education Program Assistant
Creative Commons
415.369.8492

Re: SMW marketing

Markus Krötzsch-2
On Mittwoch, 18. November 2009, Alex Kozak wrote:
> I think the best way to market SMW is to show how powerful it can be, and
> the best way to do that would be to show off use cases. The power of SMW
> isn't just in what it can do, but in what it can do compared to how
> difficult it is to get going. Using SMW an organization could set up a the
> infrastructure for a collaborative database within hours. There are plenty
> of good examples of this.

I agree. This is probably something that is best reported in blog posts ("We
have recently set up this great site within just two hours. ...") We could
also make a list of "good" publicly accessible show cases on our homepage.

> But I also think that it's going to be really hard to market it without all
> of the necessary extensions getting built in in some way. When I tell
>  people about SMW and they're interested in trying it, I then have to
>  qualify my recommendation with a whole list of extensions that they need
>  to research. It would be nice if that wasn't necessary and if it were all
>  part of the core functionality.

This is what SMW+ and Semantic Bundle try to address. If these are not
suitable for your case, then you can contribute by providing some feedback to
the maintainers of these distributions. I am sure that reasonable requests
will be answered.

The separation into extensions outside the core mainly serves maintenance by a
globally distributed and loosely connected group of developers. Each extension
has a responsible person and can be improved, released, and (if necessary)
given up without interfering with the others.

> I also think that there are some desired features still missing, the
>  biggest of which being better support for multi-lingual wikis. I
>  understand this is mostly a problem with MediaWiki, but the semantic
>  aspect adds an extra layer of complexity. Hopefully I'll be able to share
>  a paper that I've been working on about that soon.

I agree that this is a complex topic, but there is probably no straightforward
way to solve this problem. But don't hesitate to file concrete feature
requests.

-- Markus

> [...]
> > was
> > launched by Philipp recently. Twitter currently is also raising awareness
> > in
> > some groups. However, please keep important communication activities on
> > this
> > list, as it is otherwise very hard to follow the various discussion
> > threads.
> >
> > (6) More aggressive linking home: SMW could by default replace the
> > "powered by" button of MediaWiki in the standard skins (configurable, but
> > enabled by default). We have been too modest to do this so far, but it
> > might by of some
> > use. Not sure if the layout of the button would allow for a shared
> > "MW/SMW" linking there. This action also depends on the new logo.
> >

> > These are all proposals that I recall from the meeting. Comments,
> > contributions, or further ideas are welcome.

Scott MacLeod
Hello Markus & Alex!

Greetings from Mountain View, California, near the Computer History Museum.

I wrote to you, Markus, about World University & School, databases and
wikis some months ago. Pursuant to this email thread, I'm wondering
whether SemanticWiki might like to help develop WUaS - a wiki, like
Wikipedia with MIT Open Course Ware - potentially in all 3000-8000
languages, all 220 nation states and territories, all subjects and at
all levels, and including, potentially, all musical instruments
(10,000?), as a kind of showcase? WUaS is free, open, and virtual -
it's an 'Edit this University' idea, focusing, too, on great
universities open, free content, as well as One Laptop per Child
Countries; as languages come on line, a free and open teaching and
learning wiki in those langauges will be there. And people will be
able to teach to their web cameras and post to free video sites, as
well as interactively in virtual worlds, like Second Life.

I think an excellent and powerful semantic database will help it flourish.

Let's communicate further about this.

All the best,
Scott

http://scottmacleod.com
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/World_University

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Markus Krötzsch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > was
>> > launched by Philipp recently. Twitter currently is also raising awareness
>> > in
>> > some groups. However, please keep important communication activities on
>> > this
>> > list, as it is otherwise very hard to follow the various discussion
>> > threads.
>> >
>> > (6) More aggressive linking home: SMW could by default replace the
>> > "powered by" button of MediaWiki in the standard skins (configurable, but
>> > enabled by default). We have been too modest to do this so far, but it
>> > might by of some
>> > use. Not sure if the layout of the button would allow for a shared
>> > "MW/SMW" linking there. This action also depends on the new logo.
>> >

>> > These are all proposals that I recall from the meeting. Comments,
>> > contributions, or further ideas are welcome.

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged
and confidential. If the reader of this email message is not the
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
have received this email in error, please notify the sender and
destroy/delete all copies of the transmittal. Thank you.

Re: SMW marketing

Krabina Bernhard

regarding showcases: I think there should be a SMW on SMW installations.

Maybe you can just add a SF for users to report about their SMW installations (avialable online or also Intranet sites). You can use and show many extension, have google maps display the locations of the wikis, use exhibit, etc.

Therefore you can demonstrate the power of SMW AND people can get information on where it is used and get more detailed information.

-Bernhard

Re: SMW marketing

Patrick Nagel
Hi,

On 19/11/09 17:57, Krabina Bernhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> regarding showcases: I think there should be a SMW on SMW
> installations.
>
> Maybe you can just add a SF for users to report about their SMW
> installations (avialable online or also Intranet sites). You can use
> and show many extension, have google maps display the locations of
> the wikis, use exhibit, etc.
>
> Therefore you can demonstrate the power of SMW AND people can get
> information on where it is used and get more detailed information.
I believe that that exists already :)

http://smw.referata.com/

But yes, maybe we could add more showcasing features there.

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4

Re: SMW marketing

Dan Bolser-3
2009/11/19 Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> regarding showcases: I think there should be a SMW on SMW installations.
>
> Maybe you can just add a SF for users to report about their SMW installations (avialable online or also Intranet sites). You can use and show many extension, have google maps display the locations of the wikis, use exhibit, etc.
>
> Therefore you can demonstrate the power of SMW AND people can get information on where it is used and get more detailed information.

This is what http://smw.referata.com aims to do.

I agree, a glossy 'exhibit' overview would be a great addition.

I'm all for anything that helps showcase my work and attracts more
developers and users to the wikis.

Right... Patrick beat me to the draw ;-)

About WUaS, count me in!  Sounds wonderful! I'll refrain from spamming
my own projects her to prevent this turning into a monster thread, but
I think the community would really benefit from higher visibility
'showcases'... a blog is probably a good way to go. Anyone built a SMW
blogging app?

Dan.

> -Bernhard

Re: SMW marketing

Philipp Zaltenbach
Hi,

Markus has created a blog based on SMW for his homepage:
http://korrekt.org/page/Blog

There is also an article, giving hints about how to build an SMW-based blog:
http://korrekt.org/page/Note:Using_SMW_for_content_management#Towards_wiki-based_blogging

Regards,
Philipp

Dan Bolser schrieb:

> 2009/11/19 Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> regarding showcases: I think there should be a SMW on SMW installations.
>>
>> Maybe you can just add a SF for users to report about their SMW installations (avialable online or also Intranet sites). You can use and show many extension, have google maps display the locations of the wikis, use exhibit, etc.
>>
>> Therefore you can demonstrate the power of SMW AND people can get information on where it is used and get more detailed information.
>>

> This is what http://smw.referata.com aims to do.
>
> I agree, a glossy 'exhibit' overview would be a great addition.
>

> I'm all for anything that helps showcase my work and attracts more
> developers and users to the wikis.
>
> Right... Patrick beat me to the draw ;-)
>

> About WUaS, count me in!  Sounds wonderful! I'll refrain from spamming
> my own projects her to prevent this turning into a monster thread, but
> I think the community would really benefit from higher visibility
> 'showcases'... a blog is probably a good way to go. Anyone built a SMW
> blogging app?
>
> Dan.
>

>> -Bernhard

Professional Services
ontoprise GmbH – know how to use Know-how
- - -
ontoprise has become a Microsoft Certified Partner:
http://www.ontoprise.de/en/home/news/news-en/microsoft-certified-partner/
- - -
An der RaumFabrik 29; 76227 Karlsruhe; Germany
Tel.: +49 721 509809-0; Fax: +49 721 509809-11
mailto:[hidden email], www: http://www.ontoprise.de
Registered Office: Karlsruhe, Germany, HRB 109540
Managing Directors: Prof. Dr. Juergen Angele, Hans-Peter Schnurr
- - -

Re: SMW marketing

Laurent Alquier-2
In case you don't know already, I found that SMW is one of the 10 Semantic Web technologies selected for : http://demozone.semantic-web.at/

That's another way to showcase SMW and put it in context next to other technologies.

- Laurent

On Nov 19, 2009, at 6:04 AM, Philipp Zaltenbach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Markus has created a blog based on SMW for his homepage:
> http://korrekt.org/page/Blog
>
> There is also an article, giving hints about how to build an SMW-based blog:
> http://korrekt.org/page/Note:Using_SMW_for_content_management#Towards_wiki-based_blogging
>
> Regards,
> Philipp
>
> Dan Bolser schrieb:
>> 2009/11/19 Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> regarding showcases: I think there should be a SMW on SMW installations.
>>>
>>> Maybe you can just add a SF for users to report about their SMW installations (avialable online or also Intranet sites). You can use and show many extension, have google maps display the locations of the wikis, use exhibit, etc.
>>>
>>> Therefore you can demonstrate the power of SMW AND people can get information on where it is used and get more detailed information.
>>>

>> This is what http://smw.referata.com aims to do.
>>
>> I agree, a glossy 'exhibit' overview would be a great addition.
>>

>> I'm all for anything that helps showcase my work and attracts more
>> developers and users to the wikis.
>>
>> Right... Patrick beat me to the draw ;-)
>>

>> About WUaS, count me in!  Sounds wonderful! I'll refrain from spamming
>> my own projects her to prevent this turning into a monster thread, but
>> I think the community would really benefit from higher visibility
>> 'showcases'... a blog is probably a good way to go. Anyone built a SMW
>> blogging app?
>>
>> Dan.
>>

>>> -Bernhard

> Professional Services
> ontoprise GmbH – know how to use Know-how
> - - -
> ontoprise has become a Microsoft Certified Partner:
> http://www.ontoprise.de/en/home/news/news-en/microsoft-certified-partner/
> - - -
> An der RaumFabrik 29; 76227 Karlsruhe; Germany
> Tel.: +49 721 509809-0; Fax: +49 721 509809-11
> mailto:[hidden email], www: http://www.ontoprise.de
> Registered Office: Karlsruhe, Germany, HRB 109540
> Managing Directors: Prof. Dr. Juergen Angele, Hans-Peter Schnurr
> - - -

Re: SMW marketing

Markus Krötzsch-2
On Donnerstag, 19. November 2009, Philipp Zaltenbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Markus has created a blog based on SMW for his homepage:
> http://korrekt.org/page/Blog
>
> There is also an article, giving hints about how to build an SMW-based
>  blog:
>  http://korrekt.org/page/Note:Using_SMW_for_content_management#Towards_wiki
> -based_blogging

Right, though as you see there, I did not get very far with documenting this
application. The blog still lacks a commenting functionality, mostly due to
access permission issues (posting and displaying comments would be easy enough
with SF+ask).

Still I would like to see more people documenting their insights in using SMW
in a particular domain, maybe in a similar format (one blog post would already
help a lot). Detailed documentation is of course time-consuming, but even
general descriptions can be extremely useful for others to find solutions to
their particular task.

-- Markus

2009/11/19 Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]>:

> On Donnerstag, 19. November 2009, Philipp Zaltenbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Markus has created a blog based on SMW for his homepage:
>> http://korrekt.org/page/Blog
>>
>> There is also an article, giving hints about how to build an SMW-based
>>  blog:
>>  http://korrekt.org/page/Note:Using_SMW_for_content_management#Towards_wiki
>> -based_blogging
>
> Right, though as you see there, I did not get very far with documenting this
> application. The blog still lacks a commenting functionality, mostly due to
> access permission issues (posting and displaying comments would be easy enough
> with SF+ask).
>
> Still I would like to see more people documenting their insights in using SMW
> in a particular domain, maybe in a similar format (one blog post would already
> help a lot). Detailed documentation is of course time-consuming, but even
> general descriptions can be extremely useful for others to find solutions to
> their particular task.

This is where I think site metadata would come in really handy. For
example, with some modifications to SF, it could create semantic data
to describe the structure of such applications.

Perhaps its a bit far fetched, but I think it's a nice idea to pursue.
You won't find many database systems that don't have metadata. I don't
see why SMW should not be able to do this.

I have tried to document my own 'applications' here:

http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Tips

But again, I think we need to work on that site (collectively) to
increase the visibility of such resources.

Re: SMW marketing

Laurent Alquier-2
Use cases with SMW already exist online in the form of papers like this one : http://ftp1.de.freebsd.org/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-401/iswc2008pd_submission_23.pdf (not affiliated... just an example I came across today).

Maybe a first step could be a page on the SMW site with a bibliography of these type of papers and experience reports.

- Laurent

2009/11/19 Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]>:

> On Donnerstag, 19. November 2009, Philipp Zaltenbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Markus has created a blog based on SMW for his homepage:
>> http://korrekt.org/page/Blog
>>
>> There is also an article, giving hints about how to build an SMW-based
>>  blog:
>>  http://korrekt.org/page/Note:Using_SMW_for_content_management#Towards_wiki
>> -based_blogging
>
> Right, though as you see there, I did not get very far with documenting this
> application. The blog still lacks a commenting functionality, mostly due to
> access permission issues (posting and displaying comments would be easy enough
> with SF+ask).
>
> Still I would like to see more people documenting their insights in using SMW
> in a particular domain, maybe in a similar format (one blog post would already
> help a lot). Detailed documentation is of course time-consuming, but even
> general descriptions can be extremely useful for others to find solutions to
> their particular task.

This is where I think site metadata would come in really handy. For
example, with some modifications to SF, it could create semantic data
to describe the structure of such applications.

Perhaps its a bit far fetched, but I think it's a nice idea to pursue.
You won't find many database systems that don't have metadata. I don't
see why SMW should not be able to do this.

I have tried to document my own 'applications' here:

http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Tips

But again, I think we need to work on that site (collectively) to
increase the visibility of such resources.

Re: SMW marketing

Philipp Zaltenbach
A central collection of uses cases would be indeed a good idea and complement
the testimonial section. Another, rather introductional one is this here:
http://www.academypublisher.com/jetwi/vol1/no1/jetwi01019496.pdf

Regards,
Philipp

Laurent Alquier <[hidden email]> hat am 19. November 2009 um 21:33
geschrieben:

> Use cases with SMW already exist online in the form of papers like this one :
> http://ftp1.de.freebsd.org/Publications/CEUR-WS/Vol-401/iswc2008pd_submission_23.pdf
>  (not affiliated... just an example I came across today).
>
> Maybe a first step could be a page on the SMW site with a bibliography of
> these type of papers and experience reports.
>
> - Laurent

I had an idea last night to help make SMW more visible.

Use SMW to manage MediaWiki extensions.

The current list of extensions is a mess. There is no way to query them at all. The lists on the index page are static and (I hope) updated by a script.

They already use an 'Extension' template. How hard could it be to set up SMW + forms on the MediaWiki site and replace the 'Extension' template with a semantic template ?

- Laurent

2009/11/19 Markus Krötzsch <[hidden email]>:

> On Donnerstag, 19. November 2009, Philipp Zaltenbach wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Markus has created a blog based on SMW for his homepage:
>> http://korrekt.org/page/Blog
>>
>> There is also an article, giving hints about how to build an SMW-based
>>  blog:
>>  http://korrekt.org/page/Note:Using_SMW_for_content_management#Towards_wiki
>> -based_blogging
>
> Right, though as you see there, I did not get very far with documenting this
> application. The blog still lacks a commenting functionality, mostly due to
> access permission issues (posting and displaying comments would be easy enough
> with SF+ask).
>
> Still I would like to see more people documenting their insights in using SMW
> in a particular domain, maybe in a similar format (one blog post would already
> help a lot). Detailed documentation is of course time-consuming, but even
> general descriptions can be extremely useful for others to find solutions to
> their particular task.

This is where I think site metadata would come in really handy. For
example, with some modifications to SF, it could create semantic data
to describe the structure of such applications.

Perhaps its a bit far fetched, but I think it's a nice idea to pursue.
You won't find many database systems that don't have metadata. I don't
see why SMW should not be able to do this.

I have tried to document my own 'applications' here:

http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Tips

But again, I think we need to work on that site (collectively) to
increase the visibility of such resources.

Re: SMW marketing

Jan Steinman
> From: "Laurent Alquier" <[hidden email]>
>
> I had an idea last night to help make SMW more visible.
>
> Use SMW to manage MediaWiki extensions.
>
> The current list of extensions is a mess. There is no way to query
> them at all.

Yes!

Whenever I think, "Someone must have already done an extension for
this thing I want to do," I get depressed at the hours of work it will
take for me to tease it out.

:::: "I feel frustrated that whenever I have a comment or criticism
about your behavior, you immediately turn it back onto me." ::::
:::: "But what about you; you do the same thing!" ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::

Re: SMW marketing

Krabina Bernhard
that's an excellent idea!!

- Bernhard

2009/11/20 Laurent Alquier <[hidden email]>:
> I had an idea last night to help make SMW more visible.
>
> Use SMW to manage MediaWiki extensions.
>
> The current list of extensions is a mess. There is no way to query them at all. The lists on the index page are static and (I hope) updated by a script.
>
> They already use an 'Extension' template. How hard could it be to set up SMW + forms on the MediaWiki site and replace the 'Extension' template with a semantic template ?

I asked the MW developers about this a few weeks ago. The response I
got was, "that isn't planned". I think it's definitely worth pestering
the devs about this, but if they just don't want to try it, we'll have
to just do it ourselves and run the site in parallel. Lets see.

You can talk to the devs, including Byron at irc://irc.freenode.net/#mediawiki

http://webchat.freenode.net/

Dan.

> - Laurent

I heard that to get SMW installed on MW.Org, it would require a 'code
review' from a staffer there. Someone like Tim Starling (often found
in #mediawiki). I said that a code review would be very welcome, and
asked if there was anything we could do to help with that. The main
thing that we could do is to check that all queries are optimized,
which I assume they are. Other than that, Tim would need to do it for
it to be meaningful for them.

So basically it's a matter of just persuading them to put the time in
to check over the code. However, I guess we'd want SMW, SF, SRF, SD,
and others... Reviewing all that code will be less and less trivial
with each extension...

So before we can present the case via MW.Org, we need to present the
case *to* MW.Org ;-)

HTH,
Dan.

2009/11/22 Dan Bolser <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/11/20 Laurent Alquier <[hidden email]>:
>> I had an idea last night to help make SMW more visible.
>>
>> Use SMW to manage MediaWiki extensions.
>>
>> The current list of extensions is a mess. There is no way to query them at all. The lists on the index page are static and (I hope) updated by a script.
>>
>> They already use an 'Extension' template. How hard could it be to set up SMW + forms on the MediaWiki site and replace the 'Extension' template with a semantic template ?
>
> I asked the MW developers about this a few weeks ago. The response I
> got was, "that isn't planned". I think it's definitely worth pestering
> the devs about this, but if they just don't want to try it, we'll have
> to just do it ourselves and run the site in parallel. Lets see.
>
> You can talk to the devs, including Byron at irc://irc.freenode.net/#mediawiki
>
> http://webchat.freenode.net/
>
> Dan.
>

>> - Laurent

Great, Markus, Dan, Alex, Semantic MediaWiki, and People interested in
World University and School.

Looking forward to being in touch about
http://worlduniversity.wikia.com/wiki/World_University
as we develop it.

All the best,
Scott

http://scottmacleod.com

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Dan Bolser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I heard that to get SMW installed on MW.Org, it would require a 'code
> review' from a staffer there. Someone like Tim Starling (often found
> in #mediawiki). I said that a code review would be very welcome, and
> asked if there was anything we could do to help with that. The main
> thing that we could do is to check that all queries are optimized,
> which I assume they are. Other than that, Tim would need to do it for
> it to be meaningful for them.
>
> So basically it's a matter of just persuading them to put the time in
> to check over the code. However, I guess we'd want SMW, SF, SRF, SD,
> and others... Reviewing all that code will be less and less trivial
> with each extension...
>
> So before we can present the case via MW.Org, we need to present the
> case *to* MW.Org ;-)
>

> HTH,
> Dan.
>
> 2009/11/22 Dan Bolser <[hidden email]>:
>> 2009/11/20 Laurent Alquier <[hidden email]>:
>>> I had an idea last night to help make SMW more visible.
>>>
>>> Use SMW to manage MediaWiki extensions.
>>>
>>> The current list of extensions is a mess. There is no way to query them at all. The lists on the index page are static and (I hope) updated by a script.
>>>
>>> They already use an 'Extension' template. How hard could it be to set up SMW + forms on the MediaWiki site and replace the 'Extension' template with a semantic template ?
>>
>> I asked the MW developers about this a few weeks ago. The response I
>> got was, "that isn't planned". I think it's definitely worth pestering
>> the devs about this, but if they just don't want to try it, we'll have
>> to just do it ourselves and run the site in parallel. Lets see.
>>
>> You can talk to the devs, including Byron at irc://irc.freenode.net/#mediawiki
>>
>> http://webchat.freenode.net/
>>
>> Dan.
>>

>>> - Laurent

Robin Patterson