SMW vs SharePoint

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Some of my customers use SharePoint and are interested in the SMW solutions I propose. So they want to know if the same is possible in their SharePoint environment. Probably sounds familiar to some of you.

Based on the information from the WikiWorks site (thanks Yaron!) I created a comparison. I'm not very confident that the information is extremely accurate since I know SharePoint only as a (power) enduser.

My proposal is to create a page on the SMW site with the comparison. From the main page there should be a link to the page, e.g. in the 'More about Semantic MediaWiki' section.

Is there support for this idea and would there be support for improving the content? And could someone create the link on the main page?

Thanks! Ad

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

Joshua TAYLOR
Where I work, my group has been using SMW and moving some things away
from SharePoint.  I wasn't much of a SharePoint poweruser either, but
I know that some things have gotten a bit easier for us, just in being
able to search for documents semantically.  I'd be in favor of a page
somewhere that helps document the differences, and describes
transition patterns for people looking to make the switch.

//JT

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Ad Strack van Schijndel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some of my customers use SharePoint and are interested in the SMW solutions I propose. So they want to know if the same is possible in their SharePoint environment. Probably sounds familiar to some of you.
>
> Based on the information from the WikiWorks site (thanks Yaron!) I created a comparison. I'm not very confident that the information is extremely accurate since I know SharePoint only as a (power) enduser.
>
> My proposal is to create a page on the SMW site with the comparison. From the main page there should be a link to the page, e.g. in the 'More about Semantic MediaWiki' section.
>
> Is there support for this idea and would there be support for improving the content? And could someone create the link on the main page?
>
> Thanks! Ad

Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

Yaron Koren-2
Hi,

Ad - could you share what you've created so far?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Joshua TAYLOR <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Where I work, my group has been using SMW and moving some things away
> from SharePoint.  I wasn't much of a SharePoint poweruser either, but
> I know that some things have gotten a bit easier for us, just in being
> able to search for documents semantically.  I'd be in favor of a page
> somewhere that helps document the differences, and describes
> transition patterns for people looking to make the switch.
>
> //JT
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Ad Strack van Schijndel
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Some of my customers use SharePoint and are interested in the SMW
> solutions I propose. So they want to know if the same is possible in their
> SharePoint environment. Probably sounds familiar to some of you.
> >
> > Based on the information from the WikiWorks site (thanks Yaron!) I
> created a comparison. I'm not very confident that the information is
> extremely accurate since I know SharePoint only as a (power) enduser.
> >
> > My proposal is to create a page on the SMW site with the comparison.
> From the main page there should be a link to the page, e.g. in the 'More
> about Semantic MediaWiki' section.
> >
> > Is there support for this idea and would there be support for improving
> the content? And could someone create the link on the main page?
> >
> > Thanks! Ad

> Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

Krabina Bernhard
I don't think that SMW and SharePoint are real contestors. From my point of view, SMW has a clear advantage if content is king (content that usually resides in documents should be brought to a wiki without the need for the documents). SharePoint is probably one possible solution if you need a document management system. If you can't get rid of your documents and have to manage them better than in the filsystem, go for a document management system (and look at Alfresco etc. before you look at Sharepoing :-), if you can manage to get rid of the documents and manage the content, go for SMW.

just my 2 cents.

By the way, this brings me to an interesting point: I think in spite of the above mentioned, SMW would clearly benefit from better document management features (most of which would mean to improve MW itself, not SMW)!

-Bernhard

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

> Some of my customers use SharePoint and are interested in the SMW
> solutions I propose. So they want to know if the same is possible in
> their SharePoint environment. Probably sounds familiar to some of
> you.
>
> Based on the information from the WikiWorks site (thanks Yaron!) I
> created a comparison. I'm not very confident that the information is
> extremely accurate since I know SharePoint only as a (power)
> enduser.
>
> My proposal is to create a page on the SMW site with the comparison.
> From the main page there should be a link to the page, e.g. in the
> 'More about Semantic MediaWiki' section.
>
> Is there support for this idea and would there be support for
> improving the content? And could someone create the link on the main
> page?
>
> Thanks! Ad

> analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for
> building
> our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free
> account!

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi Bernhard, what document features do you have in mind that would improve SMW in this area?

Ad

On 12 april 2013, at 08:36, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think that SMW and SharePoint are real contestors. From my point of view, SMW has a clear advantage if content is king (content that usually resides in documents should be brought to a wiki without the need for the documents). SharePoint is probably one possible solution if you need a document management system. If you can't get rid of your documents and have to manage them better than in the filsystem, go for a document management system (and look at Alfresco etc. before you look at Sharepoing :-), if you can manage to get rid of the documents and manage the content, go for SMW.
>
> just my 2 cents.
>
> By the way, this brings me to an interesting point: I think in spite of the above mentioned, SMW would clearly benefit from better document management features (most of which would mean to improve MW itself, not SMW)!
>
> -Bernhard
>
> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
>> Some of my customers use SharePoint and are interested in the SMW
>> solutions I propose. So they want to know if the same is possible in
>> their SharePoint environment. Probably sounds familiar to some of
>> you.
>>
>> Based on the information from the WikiWorks site (thanks Yaron!) I
>> created a comparison. I'm not very confident that the information is
>> extremely accurate since I know SharePoint only as a (power)
>> enduser.
>>
>> My proposal is to create a page on the SMW site with the comparison.
>> From the main page there should be a link to the page, e.g. in the
>> 'More about Semantic MediaWiki' section.
>>
>> Is there support for this idea and would there be support for
>> improving the content? And could someone create the link on the main
>> page?
>>
>> Thanks! Ad

>> Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced
>> analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for
>> building
>> apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use
>> our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free
>> account!
>> http://www2.precog.com/precogplatform/slashdotnewsletter

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

Krabina Bernhard
- bugs in document uploads on MW installations on windows machines (some kind of php bug on windows)
- drag&drop document upload
- ability to enhance the upload form (especially with semantic information, I am aware of this: http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Simple_Semantic_File_Management but it really seems very basic...)
- ability to search in document content as well (can be done with some lucene installations, but is not straigtforward)
- document check in/check out
- one easy but annoying thing: I'd like to be able to use the text in the field "Summary:" in the MW upload dialogue
- semantic querying of documents: it would be great if all information of Special:ListFiles would be available via properties - this could be a job for a nice SemanticFileManagement extension :-)

regards,
Bernhard

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

> Hi Bernhard, what document features do you have in mind that would
> improve SMW in this area?
>
> Ad
>
> On 12 april 2013, at 08:36, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't think that SMW and SharePoint are real contestors. From my
> > point of view, SMW has a clear advantage if content is king
> > (content that usually resides in documents should be brought to a
> > wiki without the need for the documents). SharePoint is probably
> > one possible solution if you need a document management system. If
> > you can't get rid of your documents and have to manage them better
> > than in the filsystem, go for a document management system (and
> > look at Alfresco etc. before you look at Sharepoing :-), if you
> > can manage to get rid of the documents and manage the content, go
> > for SMW.
> >
> > just my 2 cents.
> >
> > By the way, this brings me to an interesting point: I think in
> > spite of the above mentioned, SMW would clearly benefit from
> > better document management features (most of which would mean to
> > improve MW itself, not SMW)!
> >
> > -Bernhard
> >
> > ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> >> Some of my customers use SharePoint and are interested in the SMW
> >> solutions I propose. So they want to know if the same is possible
> >> in
> >> their SharePoint environment. Probably sounds familiar to some of
> >> you.
> >>
> >> Based on the information from the WikiWorks site (thanks Yaron!) I
> >> created a comparison. I'm not very confident that the information
> >> is
> >> extremely accurate since I know SharePoint only as a (power)
> >> enduser.
> >>
> >> My proposal is to create a page on the SMW site with the
> >> comparison.
> >> From the main page there should be a link to the page, e.g. in the
> >> 'More about Semantic MediaWiki' section.
> >>
> >> Is there support for this idea and would there be support for
> >> improving the content? And could someone create the link on the
> >> main
> >> page?
> >>
> >> Thanks! Ad

> >> Precog is a next-generation analytics platform capable of advanced
> >> analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for
> >> building
> >> apps and a phenomenal toolset for data science. Developers can use
> >> our toolset for easy data analysis & visualization. Get a free
> >> account!
> >> http://www2.precog.com/precogplatform/slashdotnewsletter

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

thingles
The media management aspects of MediaWiki (uploading and finding files) is a huge weakpoint that I continually struggle with new users on. For those of you that follow the WordPress platform, they've made some great strides in this area recently (drag and drop upload, multiple files handled easily, nice navigator). I'd love to see some of this innovation come into MediaWiki in the future.

BTW, the ability to search in a document is an interesting one and one that could possibly be easily hacked into MediaWiki. It would be fairly simple to write a bot that scanned files for certain document types, then process them through a tool like pandoc, and take the resultant wikitext back to the file wiki page.
Jamie Thingelstad
[hidden email]
mobile: 612-810-3699
find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

On Apr 12, 2013, at 4:42 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - bugs in document uploads on MW installations on windows machines (some kind of php bug on windows)
> - drag&drop document upload
> - ability to enhance the upload form (especially with semantic information, I am aware of this: http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Simple_Semantic_File_Management but it really seems very basic...)
> - ability to search in document content as well (can be done with some lucene installations, but is not straigtforward)
> - document check in/check out
> - one easy but annoying thing: I'd like to be able to use the text in the field "Summary:" in the MW upload dialogue
> - semantic querying of documents: it would be great if all information of Special:ListFiles would be available via properties - this could be a job for a nice SemanticFileManagement extension :-)
>
> regards,
> Bernhard
>
> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
>> Hi Bernhard, what document features do you have in mind that would
>> improve SMW in this area?
>>
>> Ad
>>
>> On 12 april 2013, at 08:36, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think that SMW and SharePoint are real contestors. From my
>>> point of view, SMW has a clear advantage if content is king
>>> (content that usually resides in documents should be brought to a
>>> wiki without the need for the documents). SharePoint is probably
>>> one possible solution if you need a document management system. If
>>> you can't get rid of your documents and have to manage them better
>>> than in the filsystem, go for a document management system (and
>>> look at Alfresco etc. before you look at Sharepoing :-), if you
>>> can manage to get rid of the documents and manage the content, go
>>> for SMW.
>>>
>>> just my 2 cents.
>>>
>>> By the way, this brings me to an interesting point: I think in
>>> spite of the above mentioned, SMW would clearly benefit from
>>> better document management features (most of which would mean to
>>> improve MW itself, not SMW)!
>>>
>>> -Bernhard
>>>
>>> ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

David Leonelli
It seems to me that (although adding functionality to SMW is a good thing),
it is not a document/content management system and trying to make it one is
"swimming against the river". Functionality like document check-in/out,
document user groups and such break the Wiki model at its core.

Sharepoint (open source vs. propitiatory issues aside) is great at what it
does, as is SMW.  They were just never conceived to do the same thing. If
you need to turn a screw, pick up a screwdriver. If you need to pound a
nail pick up a hammer. They both qualify has "hand tools" (much as
Sharepoint and SMW both qualifyas "Sematic Web tools"), but they are not
meant to solve the same problems.

That said, it would be nice, at least for my selfish purposes, if more
granular edit ownership, was simpler to achieve.

Dave

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Jamie Thingelstad
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> The media management aspects of MediaWiki (uploading and finding files) is
> a huge weakpoint that I continually struggle with new users on. For those
> of you that follow the WordPress platform, they've made some great strides
> in this area recently (drag and drop upload, multiple files handled easily,
> nice navigator). I'd love to see some of this innovation come into
> MediaWiki in the future.
>
> BTW, the ability to search in a document is an interesting one and one
> that could possibly be easily hacked into MediaWiki. It would be fairly
> simple to write a bot that scanned files for certain document types, then
> process them through a tool like pandoc, and take the resultant wikitext
> back to the file wiki page.
> Jamie Thingelstad
> [hidden email]
> mobile: 612-810-3699
> find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn
>
> On Apr 12, 2013, at 4:42 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > - bugs in document uploads on MW installations on windows machines (some
> kind of php bug on windows)
> > - drag&drop document upload
> > - ability to enhance the upload form (especially with semantic
> information, I am aware of this:
> http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Simple_Semantic_File_Management but it
> really seems very basic...)
> > - ability to search in document content as well (can be done with some
> lucene installations, but is not straigtforward)
> > - document check in/check out
> > - one easy but annoying thing: I'd like to be able to use the text in
> the field "Summary:" in the MW upload dialogue
> > - semantic querying of documents: it would be great if all information
> of Special:ListFiles would be available via properties - this could be a
> job for a nice SemanticFileManagement extension :-)
> >
> > regards,
> > Bernhard
> >
> > ----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
> >> Hi Bernhard, what document features do you have in mind that would
> >> improve SMW in this area?
> >>
> >> Ad

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

Laurent Alquier-2
Sharepoint qualifies as a Semantic Web Tool? Unless I missed something,
that's a bit of a stretch (although there *are* third party extensions that
add a semantic layer to SP).

Kidding aside... we have to be careful to not turn SMW into something it is
not.

One of the major issues with SharePoint is that it fails when it is trying
to be a bit of everything: a discussion forum, a wiki, a blog, a document
management system.

If you want to add a document management layer to MediaWiki (and SMW), a
better approach would be to develop an extension that would allow SMW to
interface with a real document management system. In this case, a bridge to
Alfresco to SharePoint that would allow the management of metadata in SMW
for documents stored in a remote system.

That said, I wouldn't mind improvements to the file management side of MW,
especially allowing drag and drop upload of multiple files and a way to
upload files from the wiki editor instead of having to load files
separately. These two features alone would help a lot, but they reside
squarely in MediaWiki.. not SMW.

- Laurent

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM, David Leonelli
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > > - bugs in document uploads on MW installations on windows machines
> (some
> > kind of php bug on windows)
> > > - drag&drop document upload
> > > - ability to enhance the upload form (especially with semantic
> > information, I am aware of this:
> > http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Simple_Semantic_File_Management but it
> > really seems very basic...)
> > > - ability to search in document content as well (can be done with some
> > lucene installations, but is not straigtforward)
> > > - document check in/check out
> > > - one easy but annoying thing: I'd like to be able to use the text in
> > the field "Summary:" in the MW upload dialogue
> > > - semantic querying of documents: it would be great if all information
> > of Special:ListFiles would be available via properties - this could be a
> > job for a nice SemanticFileManagement extension :-)

- Laurent Alquier
http://www.linfa.net

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

David Leonelli
I agree that "a better approach would be to develop an extension that would
allow SMW to
interface with a real document management system."

But I still think it is wasted effort.. And I do think that SharePoint is a
semantic tool. One of the hardest things for us to define is the meaning of
"semantic". An irony, not lost on any of us!

To me, giving semantic meaning to a document/page/whatever just means I can
find it.

Dave

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Laurent Alquier <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> then
> > > process them through a tool like pandoc, and take the resultant
> wikitext
> > > back to the file wiki page.
> > > Jamie Thingelstad
> > > [hidden email]
> > > mobile: 612-810-3699
> > > find me on AIM Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

> > (some
> > > kind of php bug on windows)
> > > information, I am aware of this:
> > > http://smw.referata.com/wiki/Simple_Semantic_File_Management but it
> > > really seems very basic...)
> some
> > > lucene installations, but is not straigtforward)
> > > the field "Summary:" in the MW upload dialogue
> information
> > > of Special:ListFiles would be available via properties - this could be
> > > job for a nice SemanticFileManagement extension :-)

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

CWinDC
I think it's more common to pit SMW against SharePoint in a business
environment where files uploads are more common than page creation. Here's
a use case and an opinion.

We often want to link to a document or other file in the context of its
utility or relevance.  For example, we like to use our SMW to organize
projects. It would be  nice to be able to upload files to our wiki related
to the meetings: the agenda, presentations, white papers, signed memoranda,
etc. We schedule the meetings by adding a wiki page for the meeting (date,
time, location, invited participants...) and type up meeting notes from the
meetings as wiki pages.  ...but the files...

* What we cannot really do very well is provide users a search interface to
find a presentation delivered at some series of meetings, but on an unknown
date.
* We do not have a good mechanism to alert users when a new version of a
file has been uploaded (so that they can review it before the meeting).
* We cannot provide users a good way to find a slide that was presented in
a series of meetings (say, first to minions, vetted by managers, and
approved by the masters).
* We cannot pull together all the uploads that touch on a certain topic and
when it was provided to certain groups.

I think that this is a use case where SMW could outshine SharePoint. It can
be done already, but would be better/easier with semantification of the
file upload form and file metadata. Drag-n-drop file uploads and search of
the file contents would be nice, but does not seem (to me) to be the role
of SMW.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM, David Leonelli <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> one
> > is
> > > "swimming against the river". Functionality like document check-in/out,
> > > document user groups and such break the Wiki model at its core.
> > >
> > > Sharepoint (open source vs. propitiatory issues aside) is great at what
> > it
> > > does, as is SMW.  They were just never conceived to do the same thing.
> If
> > > you need to turn a screw, pick up a screwdriver. If you need to pound a
> > > nail pick up a hammer. They both qualify has "hand tools" (much as
> > > Sharepoint and SMW both qualifyas "Sematic Web tools"), but they are
> not
> > > meant to solve the same problems.
> > >
> > > That said, it would be nice, at least for my selfish purposes, if more
> > > granular edit ownership, was simpler to achieve.

Re: SMW vs SharePoint

nischay nahata
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Laurent Alquier <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Sharepoint qualifies as a Semantic Web Tool? Unless I missed something,
> that's a bit of a stretch (although there *are* third party extensions that
> add a semantic layer to SP).
>
> Kidding aside... we have to be careful to not turn SMW into something it is
> not.
>
> One of the major issues with SharePoint is that it fails when it is trying
> to be a bit of everything: a discussion forum, a wiki, a blog, a document
> management system.
>
> If you want to add a document management layer to MediaWiki (and SMW), a
> better approach would be to develop an extension that would allow SMW to
> interface with a real document management system. In this case, a bridge to
> Alfresco to SharePoint that would allow the management of metadata in SMW
> for documents stored in a remote system.
>
> That said, I wouldn't mind improvements to the file management side of MW,
> especially allowing drag and drop upload of multiple files and a way to
> upload files from the wiki editor instead of having to load files
> separately. These two features alone would help a lot, but they reside
> squarely in MediaWiki.. not SMW.

I recently got to know the extension MsUpload (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MsUpload)
This one allows you to drag and drop on the wiki editor. Besides, Upload
Wizard also allows drag-n-drop
though we didn't advertise this that much.

Nischay Nahata
nischayn22.in