SMWCon is next week!

david mason-2
Semantic MediaWiki Conference (SMWCon) Spring 2014: Call for Participation
and final call for contributions

The Semantic MediaWiki Conference (SMWCon) Spring 2014 in Montreal [1] is
less than a week away (May 21-23). We have an interesting lineup of talks
and
tutorials, with major themes around the use of wikis in science and
hospitals,
using Semantic Forms, and developing elements of the Semantic Mediawiki
universe, including two sessions on Wikidata. We even have a session on
Cirque
du Soleil's wiki!

About SMWCon

SMWCon is a twice-yearly conference that brings together researchers, users,
developers and enthusiasts of Semantic MediaWiki and related projects, such
as
Wikidata. Semantic MediaWiki is a family of extensions to the open-source
wiki
software MediaWiki (best known for powering Wikipedia) that allow a wiki to
store structured data in addition to textual content, thereby, turning a
wiki
into a flexible, collaborative knowledge repository.

Keynote Speaker

Markus Krötzsch is our keynote speaker, with the provocative talk "Wikidata
and what it means for SMW."

Program Outline and Late-Breaking Submissions

This year, unlike at previous SMWCons, we will have both regular talks and
tutorials on the first day, starting Wednesday morning with sessions on
wikis
and science and tutorials Wednesday afternoon. So please review the
preliminary
schedule [1] and we hope you can be here for all three days. If you're
already
signed up for a talk, please let us know if you need a different time slot.

We still have room for a few more talks, and will enable lightning talks.
You
can also bring a poster or demo. For any questions, please contact the
program
chair at vid at zooid.org.

Important Facts

Event Dates: May 21st to 23rd 2014 (Wednesday to Friday)
Location: Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
Conference wiki page: http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Spring_2014
Conference poster:
https://semantic-mediawiki.org/w/images/6/67/Smwcon_spring2014_poster.pdf
Participants: Everybody interested in semantic wikis, especially in
Semantic MediaWiki, e.g. users, arts and community groups, developers,
consultants, business representatives and researchers.

Organizing Committee

René Witte [General Chair]
David Mason [Program Chair]
Bahar Sateli [Local Chair]

Sponsors

Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science, Concordia University, Montréal,
Canada

Registration

Registration is open at EventBrite [2].

We hope to see you in vibrant Montreal next week!

1. https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Spring_2014
2. http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/smwcon-spring-2014-registration-11160710987

Re: SMWCon is next week!

Yury Katkov
Hi David!

Will you organize the video streaming of the conference? It would be
great for people outside North America who will not be able to attend
the event.
-----
Yury Katkov

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM, david mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Conference wiki page: http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Spring_2014
> Conference poster:
> https://semantic-mediawiki.org/w/images/6/67/Smwcon_spring2014_poster.pdf
> Participants: Everybody interested in semantic wikis, especially in
> Semantic MediaWiki, e.g. users, arts and community groups, developers,
> consultants, business representatives and researchers.
>
> Organizing Committee
>
> René Witte [General Chair]
> David Mason [Program Chair]
> Bahar Sateli [Local Chair]
>
> Sponsors
>
> Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
> Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science, Concordia University, Montréal,
> Canada
>
> Registration
>
> Registration is open at EventBrite [2].
>
> We hope to see you in vibrant Montreal next week!

We do plan to offer video streaming and chat. The final details have not
been settled yet.

David

On 15 May 2014 12:06, Yury Katkov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMWCon_Spring_2014
> > Conference poster:
> >
> https://semantic-mediawiki.org/w/images/6/67/Smwcon_spring2014_poster.pdf
> > Participants: Everybody interested in semantic wikis, especially in
> > Semantic MediaWiki, e.g. users, arts and community groups, developers,
> > consultants, business representatives and researchers.
> >
> > Organizing Committee
> >
> > René Witte [General Chair]
> > David Mason [Program Chair]
> > Bahar Sateli [Local Chair]
> >
> > Sponsors
> >
> > Concordia University, Montréal, Canada
> > Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science, Concordia University,
> Montréal,
> > Canada
> >
> > Registration
> >
> > Registration is open at EventBrite [2].
> >
> > We hope to see you in vibrant Montreal next week!

Peter Brooks
It would be good to know - I'd also be very interested to follow it that way.