SOA in .NET, or Microsoft is going open source MIT style

SOA in .NET, or Microsoft is going open source MIT style

Yuri Astrakhan-2
<flame war ahead>

For those not adicted to slashdot, see here
<http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/02/04/0332238/microsoft-open-sources-coreclr-the-net-execution-engine>
.

Licenced under MIT
<https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT>, plus an
additional patents promise
<https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/master/PATENTS.TXT>.

If Microsoft continues to go in the direction of the OSS as before, I
suspect we just might benefit from some good quality components as
individual services on a completelly open source stack.

Re: SOA in .NET, or Microsoft is going open source MIT style

Nikolas Everett
On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> <flame war ahead>
>
> For those not adicted to slashdot, see here
> <
> http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/02/04/0332238/microsoft-open-sources-coreclr-the-net-execution-engine
> >
> .
>
> Licenced under MIT
> <https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT>, plus an
> additional patents promise
> <https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/blob/master/PATENTS.TXT>.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but are promises legally binding?

Re: SOA in .NET, or Microsoft is going open source MIT style

David Gerard-2
Functionally. If you make a loud public declaration "WE SHALL NOT SUE"
then you sue, judges *tend* to look upon it very unfavourably. YMMV of
course.