SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Richard Symonds-3

All,

Just a followup email to let you know that the English Wikipedia community have decided on an action for the English Wikipedia with regard to the SOPA and PROTECT acts. The English Wikipedia will be blacked out, worldwide, from 5am GMT on 18 January. The blackout will last for roughly 24 hours. There’s a timer counting down at http://www.worldtimebuddy.com/event?lid=0&h=0&sts=22114080&sln=5-6&a=show&euid=2a1130f2-81f4-e3c4-7d37-0a1c1001632d.

If you get any UK press interest, forward them to Jon and me in the office on 020 7065 0990, or to [hidden email]. We have a few volunteers with press experience who will be helping out, too (many thanks to them, they know who they are!) Bear in mind that tomorrow will be extremely busy in the WMF and WMUK offices, even though Wikipedia itself will be down. The key points to remember are:

·         It’s the community who decided to do this – not a decree from Jimmy or the WMF, and not Wikimedia UK. We all support the decision of the community, however – we’re all in this together

·         These acts are something that will hurt the freedom of information globally, even though they’re (on the surface) US laws. This may well affect every .com, .org or .net site worldwide

·         Non-English Wikipedias may (or may) be blacking out, depending on the views of their individual communities

If you have any major problems over the course of the next 48 hours, or a press query, please get in touch. And if you’re looking for something to do, Commons isn’t being blacked out, and I imagine that there is a fair categorisation backlog…

All the best,

Richard Symonds

Office & Development Manager

Wikimedia UK

--

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Our Registered Charity No. is 1144513. The Registered Office is 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.

Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Tom Morris-5
And those of you who are entering panic mode about not being able to
edit the wiki for 24 hours, why not take it as an opportunity to try
editing one of the sister projects? It's looking like the sister
projects are going to remain online.

Come write something for Wikinews! ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Do we have a list of just who people should contact in the UK? People
will ask. (I still don't actually know.)

Have we got even slightly geolocated notices that can have this in them?

- d.

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Roger Bamkin
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wikimedia UK's office is on 020 7065 0990 with press enquiries at [hidden email].

On 17 January 2012 08:20, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do we have a list of just who people should contact in the UK? People
will ask. (I still don't actually know.)

Have we got even slightly geolocated notices that can have this in them?

- d.

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Gordon Joly
On 17/01/2012 02:19, Tom Morris wrote:
> And those of you who are entering panic mode about not being able to
> edit the wiki for 24 hours, why not take it as an opportunity to try
> editing one of the sister projects? It's looking like the sister
> projects are going to remain online.
>
> Come write something for Wikinews! ;-)

Over to Commons? What about Wiktionary...???

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/blackout

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Roger Bamkin
... and reading the talk page I see that Simple will be up and running despite the banner running on the site.

On 17 January 2012 09:51, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17/01/2012 02:19, Tom Morris wrote:
> And those of you who are entering panic mode about not being able to
> edit the wiki for 24 hours, why not take it as an opportunity to try
> editing one of the sister projects? It's looking like the sister
> projects are going to remain online.
>
> Come write something for Wikinews! ;-)

Over to Commons? What about Wiktionary...???

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/blackout

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Roger Bamkin
01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Jon Davies
Nicely put. Luckily we are all singing from the same song sheet.

Are you coming in?
A bit hectic here.

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Harry Burt
What is the official UK call to action here?

Emailing the embassy? Or could you create a Number10-esque petition?

Or did I miss something else entirely?

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the local chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

David Gerard-2
On 17 January 2012 11:09, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the official UK call to action here?
> Emailing the embassy? Or could you create a Number10-esque petition?
> Or did I miss something else entirely?

I'm wondering too ... we need to know ASAP.

- d.

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Tom Morris-5
On 17 January 2012 11:09, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is the official UK call to action here?
>
> Emailing the embassy? Or could you create a Number10-esque petition?

1. Find an American friend.
2. Shout at them until they write to their congressman/senator.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Mark (Markie)-2
Not too sure what the official action is but  http://americancensorship.org/  suggests petitioning the State Department?

Regards,
Mark

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17 January 2012 11:09, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the official UK call to action here?
> Emailing the embassy? Or could you create a Number10-esque petition?
> Or did I miss something else entirely?

I'm wondering too ... we need to know ASAP.

- d.

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Jon Davies
Good question.
In reality the black-out IS the protest. Phoning the US embassy or
contacting our MPs not really going to have much of an impact is it?

On 17 January 2012 11:19, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17 January 2012 11:09, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What is the official UK call to action here?
>> Emailing the embassy? Or could you create a Number10-esque petition?

> 1. Find an American friend.
> 2. Shout at them until they write to their congressman/senator.

Contacting one's own government is useful. Though how to put that in a
nuanced fashion is another matter.

- d.

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Michael Peel-4
For the US, part of the plan is to get people to call their congress people and get them to oppose the legislation (and by having so many telephone calls, make it clear that this is a big issue). So the blackout isn't the only part of this, just the most publicly-visible part.

I'm really not sure what we can do to help in the UK, though....

Mike

On 17 January 2012 11:29, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm really not sure what we can do to help in the UK, though....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_State_for_Trade ?

Visa, Mastercard, PayPal - all US companies. SOPA can switch British
businesses off like a light.

- d.

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Harry Burt
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_of_State_for_Trade ?

Visa, Mastercard, PayPal - all US companies. SOPA can switch British
businesses off like a light.

- d.

That might be a bit much to ask for.

On the other hand, I don't know how many petition signatures we could get in a day for:
Her Majesty's Government should voice its disapproval of any proposed American legislation that would limit the ability of British citizens to speak freely on the internet.
Say, or something similar.

Just a thought.

Harry (Jarry1250)

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

David Gerard-2
On 17 January 2012 12:26, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Her Majesty's Government should voice its disapproval of any proposed
> American legislation that would limit the ability of British citizens to
> speak freely on the internet.

Sounds good :-D

- d.

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Thomas Dalton
On 17 January 2012 12:29, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17 January 2012 12:26, Harry Burt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Her Majesty's Government should voice its disapproval of any proposed
>> American legislation that would limit the ability of British citizens to
>> speak freely on the internet.
>

> Sounds good :-D

I like the idea too. If we're going to be blacked out in the UK, we
ought to have a call to action. That kind of petition would be good.
If we get enough signatures, the matter might get a short debate in
Parliament, which wouldn't hurt.

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Gordon Joly

Jimbo (Jimmy Wales) on Radio 4 - World at One -today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019fx9j

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: SOPA/PROTECT Blackout

Richard Symonds-3
AFAIK, there hasn't been time to put in proper geolocation notices, and the
WMF are still asleep (it's 4 or 5am there).

However, I believe the best place to forward any comments would be the
Foreign Office. That said, I think there's a petition being set up,
however...