SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Tanvir Rahman
Hello Fellow Translators,

I have a bit of urgent translation request. Maybe all of you know that English Wikipedia is going to do a blackout in less than 17 hours to protest SOPA and PIPA. WMF Executive Director Sue Gardner has already written a letter to the community about this. Since it will be visible to all (not English speakers are the only readers of English Wikipedia), so we need your quick help with translating that letter. It's not that small, but worth a try if you want to let your people know in your language! :)

For translation, see the Meta-Wiki translation request page: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to any other list if you find that will be useful.

Thank you very much in advance for your quick response!

Regards,
Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir on Wikimedia

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Olli-6
Hi,

I think some shorter version for other languages than English would be better.
At least I have no time to complete so big translation in 17 hours.

So could you make shorter version of it, and then other languages could translate it?

Olli

2012/1/17 Tanvir Rahman <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hi Olli,

Thanks for your interest. It's a bit long one I know. But I don't know if there is a shorter version. And I don't have the authority to modify Sue's letter. I think we need others' collaboration to complete the translation. Lets give it a try I would say. And I will try to get a shorter version of course.

Regards,
Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir on Wikimedia

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Olli-6
Hi,

Ok, you can also ask Sue to make abbreviation of the original letter.
Olli

2012/1/17 Tanvir Rahman <[hidden email]>
I think some shorter version for other languages than English would be better.
At least I have no time to complete so big translation in 17 hours.

So could you make shorter version of it, and then other languages could translate it?

Hi Olli,

Thanks for your interest. It's a bit long one I know. But I don't know if there is a shorter version. And I don't have the authority to modify Sue's letter. I think we need others' collaboration to complete the translation. Lets give it a try I would say. And I will try to get a shorter version of course.

Regards,
Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir on Wikimedia

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Olli, 17/01/2012 14:27:
> Ok, you can also ask Sue to make abbreviation of the original letter.

Or en.wiki community could write a more easily translatable letter.

Nemo

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Kong Soon Lim
Malay (ms) translation is now ready.

Is there any banner that will be placed on all other wikis?

Cheers,
KongSoon Lim
User: Diagramma Della Verita

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Tomasz W. Kozłowski
On 17.01.2012 18:14, Kong Soon Lim wrote:

> Is there any banner that will be placed on all other wikis?

There is none. Every wiki decides for itself about taking part (or not)
in the protest or about informing (or not) its readers about the protest
on the English Wikipedia.

For now, there are several wikis that are joining the English WP:
German, Vietnamese and Russian Wikipedias, and Wikimedia Commons.

More and more communities are currently discussing the case, so the list
might grow very fast in the upcoming hours.

--
Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Анастасия Львова
2012/1/17 Tomasz Kozłowski <[hidden email]>:
> For now, there are several wikis that are joining the English WP:
> German, Vietnamese and Russian Wikipedias, and Wikimedia Commons.
Likely, the Ukrainians are also involved

--
regards,
Lvova Anastasiya

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Tanvir Rahman
For now, there are several wikis that are joining the English WP:
German, Vietnamese and Russian Wikipedias, and Wikimedia Commons.

Bengali Wikipedia too. :) bn.wikipedia.org

Regards,
Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir on Wikimedia

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Olli-6
Hi,
Do registered users have access to commons also when it's closed?

Olli

2012/1/17 Tanvir Rahman <[hidden email]>
For now, there are several wikis that are joining the English WP:
German, Vietnamese and Russian Wikipedias, and Wikimedia Commons.

Bengali Wikipedia too. :) bn.wikipedia.org

Regards,
Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir on Wikimedia

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Vi to
Il 17/01/2012 18:34, Tanvir Rahman ha scritto:
For now, there are several wikis that are joining the English WP:
German, Vietnamese and Russian Wikipedias, and Wikimedia Commons.

Bengali Wikipedia too. :) bn.wikipedia.org

Regards,
Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir on Wikimedia

it.wiki supports the creation of a skip-through page plus a banner.

Vito

On 17.01.2012 18:46, Olli wrote:

> Hi,
> Do registered users have access to commons also when it's closed?

Wikimedia Commons *will not be closed*. The community is merely
discussing the possibility of displaying a banner in solidarity with the
English Wikipedia.

*No other* Wikimedia wiki seems to be willing to go for a blackout, with
the English Wikipedia being the only one.

--
Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Huji Lee
Persian translation is done:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout/fa

On 17.01.2012 18:46, Olli wrote:

> Hi,
> Do registered users have access to commons also when it's closed?

Wikimedia Commons *will not be closed*. The community is merely
discussing the possibility of displaying a banner in solidarity with the
English Wikipedia.

*No other* Wikimedia wiki seems to be willing to go for a blackout, with
the English Wikipedia being the only one.

--
Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

vassia atanassova-2
Bulgarian translation is also done. Actually the important 99% were
ready last night but because of the commented "share on ..." block it
was returned to "needs updating" stayed for the whole night. Now, when
this last 1% is ready too, could please someone add the BG translation
to the letter, since the working day has started long ago and people
are reading...
Thank you!
Vassia / Spiritia

On 1/18/12, Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Persian translation is done:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout/fa
>
> 2012/1/17 Tomasz Kozłowski <[hidden email]>
>
>> On 17.01.2012 18:46, Olli wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > Do registered users have access to commons also when it's closed?
>>
>> Wikimedia Commons *will not be closed*. The community is merely
>> discussing the possibility of displaying a banner in solidarity with the
>> English Wikipedia.
>>
>> *No other* Wikimedia wiki seems to be willing to go for a blackout, with
>> the English Wikipedia being the only one.
>>
>> --
>> Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share the sum of all
knowledge.
Help us make it a reality!  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

SpeedyGonsales
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:04:12 +0100

> From: Tomasz Koz?owski<[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Translators-l] SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your
> translation
> To: [hidden email]
>
> On 17.01.2012 18:46, Olli wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Do registered users have access to commons also when it's closed?
> Wikimedia Commons *will not be closed*. The community is merely
> discussing the possibility of displaying a banner in solidarity with the
> English Wikipedia.
>
> *No other* Wikimedia wiki seems to be willing to go for a blackout, with
> the English Wikipedia being the only one.

Please check http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glavna_stranica

Community of Croatian wiki voted for blackout of our whole Main page.

Support for protest against possible SOPA censorship was unanimous,
community was/is willing to do what we can to show our support of
freedom of Internet.

SpeedyGonsales

Il 18/01/2012 15:42, SpeedyGonsales ha scritto:

> Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:04:12 +0100
>> From: Tomasz Koz?owski<[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Translators-l] SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your
>>     translation
>> To: [hidden email]
>>
>> On 17.01.2012 18:46, Olli wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Do registered users have access to commons also when it's closed?
>> Wikimedia Commons *will not be closed*. The community is merely
>> discussing the possibility of displaying a banner in solidarity with the
>> English Wikipedia.
>>
>> *No other* Wikimedia wiki seems to be willing to go for a blackout, with
>> the English Wikipedia being the only one.
>
> Please check http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glavna_stranica
>
> Community of Croatian wiki voted for blackout of our whole Main page.
>
> Support for protest against possible SOPA censorship was unanimous,
> community was/is willing to do what we can to show our support of
> freedom of Internet.
>
> SpeedyGonsales

Added to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Actions_by_other_communities

thank you

Vito

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

Olsi Hysa
Albanian Wikipedia and Wikinews also support the  blackout of English Wikipedia.

Olsi

> Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:48:26 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Translators-l] SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation
>
> Il 18/01/2012 15:42, SpeedyGonsales ha scritto:
> > Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:04:12 +0100
> >> From: Tomasz Koz?owski<[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [Translators-l] SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your
> >> translation
> >> To: [hidden email]

> >> Wikimedia Commons *will not be closed*. The community is merely
> >> discussing the possibility of displaying a banner in solidarity with the
> >> English Wikipedia.
> >>
> >> *No other* Wikimedia wiki seems to be willing to go for a blackout, with
> >> the English Wikipedia being the only one.
> >
> > Please check http://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glavna_stranica
> >
> > Community of Croatian wiki voted for blackout of our whole Main page.
> >
> > Support for protest against possible SOPA censorship was unanimous,
> > community was/is willing to do what we can to show our support of
> > freedom of Internet.
> >
> > SpeedyGonsales
> >

> Added to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Actions_by_other_communities
>
> thank you
>
> Vito

Re: SOPA blackout - Sue's letter needs your translation

George Mel
Georgian Wikipedia - the banner and information on FB page.