SQL-S2 down and new status-files

DaB.-2
Hello all,

perhaps anybody (someone?) didn't notice it: The msql-db on zedler (=S2 and
userdatabases) crashed. The restore is in progress, please wait a bit.

We get many questions from tool-user "The tool xyz does not work" or "Why is
the toolserver defect/crashed/explode?".

To inform our tool-user better in future, I created some files:

http://tools.wikimedia.de/status_s1 (same for s2 and s3).

I think that ERRO and DOWN should be compulsive for tools, INFO and WARN is
optionally.

I plan to update the rules for this at October 1, so please use the time to
update your tools. Suggestion are of corse very welcome :).

Sincerly,
DaB.

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Hello,

To confirm, are you suggesting we edit our scripts to read this file
and put in "sorry, server is down" if that is the case?

This only applies to tools using sql too, right?

I am personally against an enforcable rule (but would definately
follow it if imposed).

Thanks,

Sean

Am Montag 03 September 2007 23:01 schrieb Sean Whitton:
> Hello,
>
> To confirm, are you suggesting we edit our scripts to read this file
> and put in "sorry, server is down" if that is the case?

You should read the file and parse the first line, that not beginns with "#".
Then your tool knows, what's the status of cluster is. Is it "OK", you have
to do nothing more, if it's "INFO" and "WARN", it's your decison if you
display something. Is it "ERRO" or "DOWN" you must ("must" like in rfc 2119
[1]) give out the text. But that is the better decision anyway, because your
tools did not work because the cluster is down :). If you add additional
informations in your tools, is your desicion of corse.

> This only applies to tools using sql too, right?

Of corse :). If you need no mysql, information about mysql is useless, isn't
it? Perhaps there can be a general-information-file in future (for warning
about planing down-time of the hole cluster) - but not yet.

> I am personally against an enforcable rule (but would definately
> follow it if imposed).

The enforcable is ONLY for ERRO and DOWN. And if you have good reasons to use
it not, then use it not (but we send all users to you ;)).

BTW: Erwin asked in chat, if there is a way to read the files without using
http. Yes, there is. The files can be found in /var/www/

> Thanks,
>
> Sean

Sincerly,
DaB.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?doc=2119

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

Platonides
DaB.:
> You should read the file and parse the first line, that not beginns with "#".
> Then your tool knows, what's the status of cluster is. Is it "OK", you have
> to do nothing more, if it's "INFO" and "WARN", it's your decison if you
> display something. Is it "ERRO" or "DOWN" you must ("must" like in rfc 2119
> [1]) give out the text. But that is the better decision anyway, because your
> tools did not work because the cluster is down :).

What about tools not using a fixed db (depends on user choose)?
Also, being only a line i'd make it the first one.

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

The Fearow
You could quite easily load the file when they choose a particular db, or read all the DBs statuses and hide their entries on the box or reject any wikis from them from being selected.

-Matt

> Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 00:08:57 +0200

> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Toolserver-l] SQL-S2 down and new status-files
>
> DaB.:
> > You should read the file and parse the first line, that not beginns with "#".
> > Then your tool knows, what's the status of cluster is. Is it "OK", you have
> > to do nothing more, if it's "INFO" and "WARN", it's your decison if you
> > display something. Is it "ERRO" or "DOWN" you must ("must" like in rfc 2119
> > [1]) give out the text. But that is the better decision anyway, because your
> > tools did not work because the cluster is down :).
>
> What about tools not using a fixed db (depends on user choose)?
> Also, being only a line i'd make it the first one.

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

Byrial Jensen
DaB. wrote:
> To inform our tool-user better in future, I created some files:
>
> http://tools.wikimedia.de/status_s1 (same for s2 and s3).

That accounts for connections to sql-s1, sql-s2 and sql-s3.

What about connections to sql to access the toolserver database?
Shouldn't there be a status file for that?

Best regards,
Byrial

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Hello,

Could someone kindly remind me which box user databases are on (1, 2 or 3?)?

Thanks,

Sean

On 05/09/07, Byrial Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> DaB. wrote:
> > To inform our tool-user better in future, I created some files:
> >
> > http://tools.wikimedia.de/status_s1 (same for s2 and s3).
>
> That accounts for connections to sql-s1, sql-s2 and sql-s3.
>
> What about connections to sql to access the toolserver database?
> Shouldn't there be a status file for that?
>
> Best regards,
> Byrial

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

Bryan Tong Minh
On 9/5/07, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone kindly remind me which box user databases are on (1, 2 or 3?)?

s2. However currently both s1 and s2 point to the same server.

Bryan

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

River Tarnell-2
Sean Whitton:
> Could someone kindly remind me which box user databases are on (1, 2 or
> 3?)?

user databases are on "sql".  you shouldn't rely on them being on a particular
cluster, since they might move to another one (after zedler crashed, i moved
user dbs from zedler to vandale).

        - river.

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

Kolossos-2
Sometimes, I didn't know on which server I work, because I use as
mysql-host:
$lang."wiki"."-p.db.ts.wikimedia.org"
I'm happy about this solution.
These are multilingual script and I don't want to think about on which
server the special language is.

I don't think that it is really neccesary to change the rules in future.
Else, one which from me: Could someone write a script so that I only
need to include it.

Greetings

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
Okay, how can I tell that this server is down using this new system?

Sean

On 05/09/07, River Tarnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sean Whitton:
> > Could someone kindly remind me which box user databases are on (1, 2 or
> > 3?)?
>
> user databases are on "sql".  you shouldn't rely on them being on a particular
> cluster, since they might move to another one (after zedler crashed, i moved
> user dbs from zedler to vandale).
>
>         - river.

Re: SQL-S2 down and new status-files

River Tarnell-2
Sean Whitton:
> Okay, how can I tell that this server is down using this new system?

i created another status file, "status_sql".  (it's actually a symlink to the
server currently holding user databases).

        - river.