SRF: Timeline and Histopedia

Krabina Bernhard
Dear all,

I wrote to the Histopedia team if it was possible to get some kind of histopedia result format for SMW. The problem with the timeline and eventline formats is that they are very old and not maintained.

Here is some snippets of what they wrote me:

"We've recently released a JavaScript library called HistropediaJS, which allows you to use any data source with the Histropedia timeline engine. The basic licence is free for non-commercial use, including the right to edit the code where advanced customisation is required (most simple customisation can be done with the built in options). Is this licence permissive enough for use in SMW wikis? We do plan on open sourcing at some point, but not sure of the timescale yet as we need to get a bit further with our business model first. p.s. Very happy to offer any advise/assistance needed in using HistropediaJS"

So my questions to the SMW developers:
1. Is anybody interested in developing a new result format based on Histopedia.js
2. Is anybody interested in taking over https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ChapTimeline - another abandoned approach on prividing a new timeline format
3. Is anybody interested in doing another sort of current timline/eventline format

I am happy to connect you with the Histopedia person.

To the users/organisations: is anybody interested in this and can put up some funding?

cheers,
Bernhard

Re: [Semediawiki-user] SRF: Timeline and Histopedia

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Bernhard,

Could you enumerate what features you would ideally like to see in a timeline format? The Exhibit Timeline library, which is used by SMW (and, let me note, by Cargo as well), is indeed old and poorly-maintained, but it still works fine. I'm guessing that you would also prefer the Histropedia and CHAP Timeline libraries because of their different displays (such as showing an image for each event) and/or additional features, though I could be wrong.

-Yaron

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Yaron,

that's a good question. Basically I'd like to see the existing functionality from the exhibit timeline/eventline in a more modern style (and probably also better responsiveness). Futhermore both of the others (histropedia and chap) feature the display of pictures on the timeline, which of course is also nice to have.

cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 4. Okt 2016 um 15:09 schrieb Yaron Koren <[hidden email]>:
[...]

I don't mean to needlessly draw out this discussion, but I think it would help if you were more specific - there are a lot of timeline JS libraries out there, and it would be good to know what people consider the most important features. What do you mean by "modern style" - the use of colors? A bigger display?

By "responsiveness", do you mean that Exhibit Timeline can be slow to scroll? I hadn't noticed any particular slowness, but it might depend on the number of points loaded.

-Yaron