SVG guidelines

Lars Aronsson
A friend of mine, noting that Wikipedia uses SVG images
for diagrams, asked if it also had some written guidelines
for how to write the SVG source code, in particular to
express measurement values in the original units rather
than on a pixel scale. He had found some SVG diagram that
made a curve from 140 pixels to 190 pixels, rather than
from 7 million to 9.5 million inhabitants, which was the
unit that the y axis displayed. (Or something like that.)

I said "probably not, your thinking is likely 5 years
ahead of the Wikipedia community".

As this all happened in April 2009, he came back yesterday
to ask where we are now.

Do we have any guidelines for how to hand-write the
source code of SVG diagrams?  Should we?

Maybe this is related to Wikidata?

--
   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: SVG guidelines

Brian Wolff
On Apr 21, 2014 9:21 PM, "Lars Aronsson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A friend of mine, noting that Wikipedia uses SVG images
> for diagrams, asked if it also had some written guidelines
> for how to write the SVG source code, in particular to
> express measurement values in the original units rather
> than on a pixel scale. He had found some SVG diagram that
> made a curve from 140 pixels to 190 pixels, rather than
> from 7 million to 9.5 million inhabitants, which was the
> unit that the y axis displayed. (Or something like that.)
>
> I said "probably not, your thinking is likely 5 years
> ahead of the Wikipedia community".
>
> As this all happened in April 2009, he came back yesterday
> to ask where we are now.
>
> Do we have any guidelines for how to hand-write the
> source code of SVG diagrams?  Should we?
>
> Maybe this is related to Wikidata?
>

> --
>   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
>   Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se

Really this seems like the domain of commons to set "standards" for svg
writing. I think this should be brought up over there

--bawolff

Re: SVG guidelines

Steve Summit
bawolff wrote:
>On Apr 21, 2014 9:21 PM, "Lars Aronsson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Do we have any guidelines for how to hand-write the
>> source code of SVG diagrams?  Should we?
>
> Really this seems like the domain of commons to set "standards" for svg
> writing. I think this should be brought up over there

I found:

        https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:SVG
        https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Inkscape

These seem to contain some decent guidelines, although they don't
seem to mention anything about dimensioning (pixels vs. otherwise).