SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

rkevans
Hello,

I am attempting to develop a semantic MediaWiki server that will replace an older stand-alone relational database in my organization.

My Semantic Mediawiki is completely new and is completely empty. My first act is to go to an empty category page and create a very simple schema from scratch.

The schema is created without error and shows up nicely, however there is then no option in the menu to generate the pages as the tutorial says should exist.

All components are up to date. SMW was installed using Composer.

Here is the my server configuration:

1. OS: Debian-Linux64-4.9.0-3-amd64
2. Web Server: Apache-2.4.25
3. MariaDB: 10.1.23-MariaDB-9+deb9u1
4. PHP: 7.0.19-1 (apache2handler)
5. MediaWiki: 1.28.2
6. Semantic MediaWiki: 2.5.2
7. Semantic Compound Queries: 1.0.1
8. Semantic Extra Special Properties: 2.0.0-alpha
9. Semantic Result Formats: 2.5.0
10. Semantic Watchlist: 1.1.0
11. Page Forms: 4.1.2
12. Page Schemas: 0.4.6 (79aafee) 20:03, 24 October 2016

Anyone know why the "generate pages" link is not showing?

Thanks in advance,
- Richard Evans, NASA GRC - Plum Brook Station
   http://www.linkedin.com/in/rkevans

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

kghbln
Heiya Richard,

I believe you still have to set up the user rights for this extension or
be added to a group allowed to create pages using the Page Schemas
extension: [0].

Cheers

Karsten

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_Schemas

Am 20.06.2017 um 21:51 schrieb Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000):

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to develop a semantic MediaWiki server that will replace an older stand-alone relational database in my organization.
>
> My Semantic Mediawiki is completely new and is completely empty. My first act is to go to an empty category page and create a very simple schema from scratch.
>
> The schema is created without error and shows up nicely, however there is then no option in the menu to generate the pages as the tutorial says should exist.
>
> All components are up to date. SMW was installed using Composer.
>
> Here is the my server configuration:
>
> 1. OS: Debian-Linux64-4.9.0-3-amd64
> 2. Web Server: Apache-2.4.25
> 3. MariaDB: 10.1.23-MariaDB-9+deb9u1
> 4. PHP: 7.0.19-1 (apache2handler)
> 5. MediaWiki: 1.28.2
> 6. Semantic MediaWiki: 2.5.2
> 7. Semantic Compound Queries: 1.0.1
> 8. Semantic Extra Special Properties: 2.0.0-alpha
> 9. Semantic Result Formats: 2.5.0
> 10. Semantic Watchlist: 1.1.0
> 11. Page Forms: 4.1.2
> 12. Page Schemas: 0.4.6 (79aafee) 20:03, 24 October 2016
>
> Anyone know why the "generate pages" link is not showing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Richard Evans, NASA GRC - Plum Brook Station
>    http://www.linkedin.com/in/rkevans

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

rkevans
hmm.. interesting. ... as the wiki user? (I am the WikiSysOp)
.. or do you mean the database user that the wiki uses? .. or something else??  I hope it is something just that simple..

That said, here is another data point.. If I create a class first then the wiki will allow me to go to the category for that class, create a schema (which is cluless about the preexisting class.. and will then provide the "generate pages" link as expected..

I'm away from the system right now, but I will be eager to explore user permissions first thing tomorrow and let you know.. thanks!

-Rich

I believe you still have to set up the user rights for this extension or
be added to a group allowed to create pages using the Page Schemas
extension: [0].

Cheers

Karsten

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_Schemas

Am 20.06.2017 um 21:51 schrieb Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000):

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to develop a semantic MediaWiki server that will replace an older stand-alone relational database in my organization.
>
> My Semantic Mediawiki is completely new and is completely empty. My first act is to go to an empty category page and create a very simple schema from scratch.
>
> The schema is created without error and shows up nicely, however there is then no option in the menu to generate the pages as the tutorial says should exist.
>
> All components are up to date. SMW was installed using Composer.
>
> Here is the my server configuration:
>
> 1. OS: Debian-Linux64-4.9.0-3-amd64
> 2. Web Server: Apache-2.4.25
> 3. MariaDB: 10.1.23-MariaDB-9+deb9u1
> 4. PHP: 7.0.19-1 (apache2handler)
> 5. MediaWiki: 1.28.2
> 6. Semantic MediaWiki: 2.5.2
> 7. Semantic Compound Queries: 1.0.1
> 8. Semantic Extra Special Properties: 2.0.0-alpha
> 9. Semantic Result Formats: 2.5.0
> 10. Semantic Watchlist: 1.1.0
> 11. Page Forms: 4.1.2
> 12. Page Schemas: 0.4.6 (79aafee) 20:03, 24 October 2016
>
> Anyone know why the "generate pages" link is not showing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Richard Evans, NASA GRC - Plum Brook Station
>    http://www.linkedin.com/in/rkevans

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

kghbln
Heiya Rich,

if you are a sysop on that wiki the suggestion I made about the
permissions seem to have been sorted out already on your wiki. My
suggestion was more of a first level advice I'm afraid.

Apart from that I cannot be of much help since I myself do not actively
use the Page Schema extension and have only limited experience. The
software setup you are using seems to be fine though. You could test and
try to replicate the behaviour on the sandbox wiki [0] however if the
existing example (tut) is working the may be something else in the water.

Perhaps there are other people on the list who have more insight here.

Cheers Karsten

[0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/

Am 20.06.2017 um 23:31 schrieb Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000):

> hmm.. interesting. ... as the wiki user? (I am the WikiSysOp)
> .. or do you mean the database user that the wiki uses? .. or something else??  I hope it is something just that simple..
>
> That said, here is another data point.. If I create a class first then the wiki will allow me to go to the category for that class, create a schema (which is cluless about the preexisting class.. and will then provide the "generate pages" link as expected..
>
> I'm away from the system right now, but I will be eager to explore user permissions first thing tomorrow and let you know.. thanks!
>
> -Rich

Ok.. The problem does not seem to be the permissions.

Here is some more data:
1. after creating a schema in a category page, the link "create schema" still appears. I would expect it to change to "edit schema"
2. when I attempt to call the "generatepages" action directly in the URL, I get the response from a page titled "Generate Pages" which only says, "Error: There is no page schema defined for this category."

My suspicion is that somehow the schema extension is not recognizing the schema that it has indeed created in the page.

Could this be a bug?
Please help!
-Rich

I believe you still have to set up the user rights for this extension or be added to a group allowed to create pages using the Page Schemas
extension: [0].

Cheers

Karsten

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_Schemas

Am 20.06.2017 um 21:51 schrieb Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000):

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to develop a semantic MediaWiki server that will replace an older stand-alone relational database in my organization.
>
> My Semantic Mediawiki is completely new and is completely empty. My first act is to go to an empty category page and create a very simple schema from scratch.
>
> The schema is created without error and shows up nicely, however there is then no option in the menu to generate the pages as the tutorial says should exist.
>
> All components are up to date. SMW was installed using Composer.
>
> Here is the my server configuration:
>
> 1. OS: Debian-Linux64-4.9.0-3-amd64
> 2. Web Server: Apache-2.4.25
> 3. MariaDB: 10.1.23-MariaDB-9+deb9u1
> 4. PHP: 7.0.19-1 (apache2handler)
> 5. MediaWiki: 1.28.2
> 6. Semantic MediaWiki: 2.5.2
> 7. Semantic Compound Queries: 1.0.1
> 8. Semantic Extra Special Properties: 2.0.0-alpha 9. Semantic Result
> Formats: 2.5.0 10. Semantic Watchlist: 1.1.0 11. Page Forms: 4.1.2 12.
> Page Schemas: 0.4.6 (79aafee) 20:03, 24 October 2016
>
> Anyone know why the "generate pages" link is not showing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Richard Evans, NASA GRC - Plum Brook Station
>    http://www.linkedin.com/in/rkevans

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

rkevans
1 more clue..

From a non-existent category page I create a scheme (thus creating the category page).. but now, the  page reads, "This category exists, but does not have a page schema. Create schema:" .. and goes on to show the familiar beginning of the new schema creation tool with the green 'form' checkbox' ... but there is already a schema (as a collapsible xml table) showing in the category page..

The question must be, "Why isn't the already created schema being recognized by schema extension?

I think I'm close.. please help.. thank you!
-Rich

I believe you still have to set up the user rights for this extension or be added to a group allowed to create pages using the Page Schemas
extension: [0].

Cheers

Karsten

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_Schemas

Am 20.06.2017 um 21:51 schrieb Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000):

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to develop a semantic MediaWiki server that will replace an older stand-alone relational database in my organization.
>
> My Semantic Mediawiki is completely new and is completely empty. My first act is to go to an empty category page and create a very simple schema from scratch.
>
> The schema is created without error and shows up nicely, however there is then no option in the menu to generate the pages as the tutorial says should exist.
>
> All components are up to date. SMW was installed using Composer.
>
> Here is the my server configuration:
>
> 1. OS: Debian-Linux64-4.9.0-3-amd64
> 2. Web Server: Apache-2.4.25
> 3. MariaDB: 10.1.23-MariaDB-9+deb9u1
> 4. PHP: 7.0.19-1 (apache2handler)
> 5. MediaWiki: 1.28.2
> 6. Semantic MediaWiki: 2.5.2
> 7. Semantic Compound Queries: 1.0.1
> 8. Semantic Extra Special Properties: 2.0.0-alpha 9. Semantic Result
> Formats: 2.5.0 10. Semantic Watchlist: 1.1.0 11. Page Forms: 4.1.2 12.
> Page Schemas: 0.4.6 (79aafee) 20:03, 24 October 2016
>
> Anyone know why the "generate pages" link is not showing?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Richard Evans, NASA GRC - Plum Brook Station
>    http://www.linkedin.com/in/rkevans

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Rich,

It's very strange that that's happening. I would suggest going to another
category, and creating a schema there - but keeping the schema very simple,
like only filling in one field (or even none); and seeing if that works. It
could be that there's some specific field you filled in, or value, that's
causing problems.

-Yaron

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:25 PM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1 more clue..
>
> From a non-existent category page I create a scheme (thus creating the
> category page).. but now, the  page reads, "This category exists, but does
> not have a page schema. Create schema:" .. and goes on to show the familiar
> beginning of the new schema creation tool with the green 'form' checkbox'
> ... but there is already a schema (as a collapsible xml table) showing in
> the category page..
>
> The question must be, "Why isn't the already created schema being
> recognized by schema extension?
>
> I think I'm close.. please help.. thank you!
> -Rich

Hi Yaron,

Ok. I tried that.. super simple schema..
Category:Test
Template:Test
Form:Test
Property:has test value
.. no joy..

I tried making the same simple test with "create class" and noticed that it failed to create the pages.

I went to the maintenance folder and ran showJobs.php and saw 0 jobs in the job queue.. hmm... Create Class failed to create the new page jobs..

I have set the variables:
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['generatepages'] = true;
$wgMaxShellMemory = 512000;

as prescribed.. this is frustrating..

I re-ran the simple create class form a few times, each with different names (test1, test2, test3..) and sometimes it would produce some of the create page jobs, but it would never creat tall of them..

Is there any way I check for errors in job creation?

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

rkevans
[update] -- seems like I had 2 problems..

Problem 1 -- was wrt Mediawiki page creation jobs never showing up in the job queue. It seems that this is an acknowledged Mediaiwki issue [1,2] .. and was "worked around" by setting the Mediawiki variable $wgJobRunRate to 0 in LocalSettings.php and running the runJobs.php maintenance script every minute via cron

Problem 2 -- was wrt pageschema extension not recognizing it's own output without a forced edit on the category page after the schema XML is created [3] .. this is an acceptable work-around for me

hope this helps someone down the road.

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Tm0hq08ikanbt7ax
[3] http://wikimedia.7.x6.nabble.com/Page-Schema-extension-does-not-recognize-Page-Schema-XML-as-Schema-td5075820.html

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

Hermann Schwärzler
Hi Richard,

On 06/23/2017 05:32 PM, rkevans wrote:
> [update] -- seems like I had 2 problems..
>
> Problem 1 -- was wrt Mediawiki page creation jobs never showing up in the
> job queue. It seems that this is an acknowledged Mediaiwki issue [1,2] ..
> and was "worked around" by setting the Mediawiki variable $wgJobRunRate to 0
> in LocalSettings.php and running the runJobs.php maintenance script every
> minute via cron

Or as Stephan pointed out recently you can use the --wait option of
runJobs.php:
https://sourceforge.net/p/semediawiki/mailman/message/35853766/
or
http://wikimedia.7.x6.nabble.com/Page-Forms-creating-a-page-using-a-form-the-edit-with-form-does-not-show-tp5073337p5075130.html

[...]
Greetings
Hermann

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

rkevans
what a fabulous solution. I'll try it. Thank you!

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

rkevans
Hi Hermann,

the "--wait" option is perfect. Can you share with me your cron line that kills the previous instance of runJobs?

I'm assuming I simply need two lines in the cron command. first one to kill the existing process and a second one to launch it anew. Is that right?

gratefully,
-Rich

is it as simple as #pkill -f runJobs?

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

Hermann Schwärzler
Hi Rich,

it's not me who is doing this. Stephan Gambke is the one...

I was thinking about a way to implement this but have not yet found
time. So @Stephan: can you tell us how you are doing it?

Greetings
Hermann

On 06/26/2017 04:46 PM, rkevans wrote:

> Hi Hermann,
>
> the "--wait" option is perfect. Can you share with me your cron line that
> kills the previous instance of runJobs?
>
> I'm assuming I simply need two lines in the cron command. first one to kill
> the existing process and a second one to launch it anew. Is that right?
>
> gratefully,
> -Rich

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

rkevans
fwiw, this is working for me:

*/15 * * * * php pkill runJobs
*/15 * * * * php /var/www/html/smw/maintenance/runJobs.php --wait >> /var/www/html/php-jobs-run-log-smw.txt

-Rich

Re: SWM 2.5 Schema does not offer to generate pages from category

Semantic Mediawiki - User mailing list
I use something very similar. The following shell script is called every 15 min:
---------
#! /bin/bash
date >> /var/log/httpd/cron
if pgrep -f "php /var/www/html/w/maintenance/runJobs.php -q --memory-limit=max --wait" > /dev/null
then
echo "runJobs running." >> /var/log/httpd/cron
kill `pgrep -f "php /var/www/html/w/maintenance/runJobs.php -q --memory-limit=max --wait"`
fi
echo "runJobs stopped. Restarting..." >> /var/log/httpd/cron
php /var/www/html/w/maintenance/runJobs.php -q --memory-limit=max --wait >> /var/log/httpd/cron 2>&1 &
runJobs.php also has a --maxtime parameter, that I intend to use as soon as I find the time to add it. This hopefully will avoid just killing a job and risking losing important DB updates (or in the worst case even corrupting the DB). I will retain the killing regardless to cover the case of runJobs having run into an infinite loop.
So my future strategy will be: Run runJobs for 14min, if necessary kill it after 15min, restart it.
Cheers
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

I added you solution to [0]. Perhaps you could add more fluff, i.e.
verbosity to it.

Cheers Karsten

[0] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Job_queue