Sanskrit Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
A question, I was on the Sanskrit Wikipedia and I noticed that much of the user interface was still in English. It is possible to change the fall back language for Sanskrit to Hindi.

Does this make sense to you?
Thanks,
      GerardM

Re: Sanskrit Wikipedia

Anirudh S. Bhati
That would be good, yes.

I am not sure about the future of the Sanskrit Wikipedia though, it is taught in some schools at the intermediate level only to be forgotten as the students advance to the high school.

Best,

--Anirudh

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
A question, I was on the Sanskrit Wikipedia and I noticed that much of the user interface was still in English. It is possible to change the fall back language for Sanskrit to Hindi.

Does this make sense to you?
Thanks,
      GerardM

Re: Sanskrit Wikipedia

Deepu Joseph
All the more reasons to put more work into it.

I agree with having Hindi as a fall back language as well.

DJ

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l" target="_blank">https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l" target="_blank">https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

Re: Sanskrit Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The change has been made.. When Brion implements new software into the WMF servers, it will be life.
Thanks,
      Gerard

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Deepu Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hari Prasad Nadig
On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:27 +0200, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> The change has been made.. When Brion implements new software into the
> WMF servers, it will be life.

Gerard,

        I noticed this email late. I'm not too sure about the Hindi option
because most people in Northern India definitely understand Hindi, but
people in South who've learnt Sanskrit may not be that familiar with it
unless they've also studied it Hindi their school. But everyone studies
English at school.

        Falling back to Indian English should be a good option.

Cheers,

  - Hari Prasad

--
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;

http://hpnadig.net
http://sampada.net
http://sampadafoundation.org

Re: Sanskrit Wikipedia

Anirudh S. Bhati
I believe that stands true for students of Sanskrit who are studying it in English.

Best,

--Anirudh

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Hari Prasad Nadig <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:27 +0200, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> The change has been made.. When Brion implements new software into the
> WMF servers, it will be life.

Gerard,

       I noticed this email late. I'm not too sure about the Hindi option
because most people in Northern India definitely understand Hindi, but
people in South who've learnt Sanskrit may not be that familiar with it
unless they've also studied it Hindi their school. But everyone studies
English at school.

       Falling back to Indian English should be a good option.

Cheers,

 - Hari Prasad

--
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;

http://hpnadig.net
http://sampada.net
http://sampadafoundation.org

Re: Sanskrit Wikipedia

Anirudh S. Bhati
What I mean is, that I agree with Hari's suggestion here, it's perfectly legitimate.