Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Barbara Fischer

Dear list reader

(please forward, endorse and translate)

yesterday evening we sat together and marvelled the splendid spirit of all the volunteers that made this Wikimania to a jubilee event! Than WikiAnika came up with a brilliant idea because it easy and symbolic at the same time:

When you come home, sit down and take your time to wirte a real postcard put a stamp on it, say mille gracie in your language and sen it to following address:

Wikimania

c/o Comune de Esino

P.za Pietro Pensa

I- 23825 Esino Lario (LC)

Italy

lets send them a thousand postcards from all over the world!!

kindly yours

Barbara Fischer
Kuratorin für Kulturpartnerschaften

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | NEU: Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-(0)44

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Asaf Bartov-2

Great idea! 😃

(If you [also] include the Italian phrase, note that it is 'grazie', not 'gracie'.)

   A.

On Jun 26, 2016 11:39 AM, "Denise Jansen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Rehman Abubakr
That's an excellent idea!

User:Rehmn

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Dario Crespi
That's a great idea and thanks for that!
Maybe you can also take a Photo with a sign that says "Grazie volontari di Esino!", "Grazie esinesi!", "Grazie volontari di Wikimania 2016!" or something similar (in italian or/and in your language) and upload it on Commons in Category:Wikimania 2016 - Thanks (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_2016_-_Thanks)
Then we can make a collage with these photos ad hang it up in Villa Clotilde in Esino Lario (or in the museum).

Dario

[...]

Erik Moeller-3

> When you come home, sit down and take your time to wirte a real postcard put
> a stamp on it, say mille gracie in your language and sen it to following
> address:
>
> Wikimania
>
> c/o Comune de Esino
> P.za Pietro Pensa
> I- 23825 Esino Lario (LC)
> Italy

Brilliant idea, will do. Until then -- many, many thanks/mille grazie
to the organizing team and to _everyone_ involved for a wonderful,
unforgettable Wikimania in an amazing environment. :-) A beautiful
demonstration of the spirit of community, both by the Wikimedia
movement and by the whole town of Esino Lario. See you in
Montreal/Montréal!

Warmly,

Erik

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Gnangarra
Great idea, also send one to the WMF if you want wikimania to continue beyond Montreal, because if you start fighting for it now there wont be one in 2018 to bring the whole of our community together, there wont be the opportunity for other to experience the global sharing of knowledge that you just experienced

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
149 New Montgomery Street
Floor 6
San Francisco, CA 94105
USA

On 28 June 2016 at 05:05, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When you come home, sit down and take your time to wirte a real postcard put
> a stamp on it, say mille gracie in your language and sen it to following
> address:
>
> Wikimania
>
> c/o Comune de Esino
> P.za Pietro Pensa
> I- 23825 Esino Lario (LC)
> Italy

Brilliant idea, will do. Until then -- many, many thanks/mille grazie
to the organizing team and to _everyone_ involved for a wonderful,
unforgettable Wikimania in an amazing environment. :-) A beautiful
demonstration of the spirit of community, both by the Wikimedia
movement and by the whole town of Esino Lario. See you in
Montreal/Montréal!

Warmly,

Erik

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Gabriel Thullen
An excellent idea! We can send thank you cards to the adult volunteers, but we must do something collectively for all the student volunteers. It is obvious that the organizers cannot give out the addresses of minors, so the best way to express our thanks to all those wonderful kids would be to use the address given.

Warmest greetings to all
Gabriel

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 3:04 AM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great idea, also send one to the WMF if you want wikimania to continue beyond Montreal, because if you start fighting for it now there wont be one in 2018 to bring the whole of our community together, there wont be the opportunity for other to experience the global sharing of knowledge that you just experienced

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
149 New Montgomery Street
Floor 6
San Francisco, CA 94105
USA

On 28 June 2016 at 05:05, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When you come home, sit down and take your time to wirte a real postcard put
> a stamp on it, say mille gracie in your language and sen it to following
> address:
>
> Wikimania
>
> c/o Comune de Esino
> P.za Pietro Pensa
> I- 23825 Esino Lario (LC)
> Italy

Brilliant idea, will do. Until then -- many, many thanks/mille grazie
to the organizing team and to _everyone_ involved for a wonderful,
unforgettable Wikimania in an amazing environment. :-) A beautiful
demonstration of the spirit of community, both by the Wikimedia
movement and by the whole town of Esino Lario. See you in
Montreal/Montréal!

Warmly,

Erik

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi Gnangarra,

On 28.06.2016 03:04, Gnangarra wrote:
> Great idea, also send one to the WMF if you want wikimania to continue
> beyond Montreal, because if you start fighting for it now there wont be
> one in 2018 to bring the whole of our community together, there wont be
> the opportunity for other to experience the global sharing of knowledge
> that you just experienced

I am sorry to see that there is the impression there won't be a
Wikimania beyond 2017.
As a member of the Wikimania Comittee I can assure you that we are
working on identifying a host for 2018 right now.

There has been a community survey whether Wikimania should only happen
every two years, but as was clarified during the "Future of Wikimania"
session this is not going to happen.
Nevertheless, there was never the intention that Wikimania 2017 would be
the last one.

Hope this helps clearing up things,
all the best,

Manuel
www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Lodewijk
Thanks for clarifying, Manuel. I hope that you'll be able to keep us updated through the process, and not just when it finalizes. (i.e. what steps are planned, etc).

I'm confident that notes are being processed though, so I should be patient!

Best,
Lodewijk

Hi Gnangarra,

On 28.06.2016 03:04, Gnangarra wrote:
> Great idea, also send one to the WMF if you want wikimania to continue
> beyond Montreal, because if you start fighting for it now there wont be
> one in 2018 to bring the whole of our community together, there wont be
> the opportunity for other to experience the global sharing of knowledge
> that you just experienced

I am sorry to see that there is the impression there won't be a
Wikimania beyond 2017.
As a member of the Wikimania Comittee I can assure you that we are
working on identifying a host for 2018 right now.

There has been a community survey whether Wikimania should only happen
every two years, but as was clarified during the "Future of Wikimania"
session this is not going to happen.
Nevertheless, there was never the intention that Wikimania 2017 would be
the last one.

Hope this helps clearing up things,
all the best,

Manuel
www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Gnangarra
Thanks for the information Manuel, but where was this session

who is working on identifying a host, where is this process taking place.

Having twice worked on unsuccessful bids one of which the process was usurped for Montreal, which has the Western Australian Government offering hundreds of thousands of dollars on supporting the event(airfares, venue(2500 capacity), sponsorship) plus the support of 2 universities here thanks to the work I did on the bid for 2017 it'd be nice to be able to put forward this information to someone who is actually doing the identifying of a host

On 28.06.2016 13:16, Gnangarra wrote:
> Thanks for the information Manuel, but where was this session
>
> who is working on identifying a host, where is this process taking place.

the session was this one:

https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Discussions/The_future_of_Wikimania

Afterwards the Wikimania Committee had a meeting, minutes will be posted
soon as soon as they are ready and approved.

The Wikimania Committee is looking for hosts right now according to the
process decided and published last year, everything (incl. the above
mentioned minutes) can be found on this page:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Committee

According to the selection process Asia, or as a fallback Sub-Saharan
Africa are the areas we are looking at. Ellie Young has already been in
touch with candidates in Asia and has reported briefly to the Wikimania
Committee.
In the meeting we just had we clarified that the rotation principle, as
laid out in the Selection Process posted on Meta, is a guideline. If
there are no candidates we will look for a different region, just as we
defined Sub-Saharan Africa as the backup for 2018. Please keep in mind
that the due diligence on the candidate teams and venues is done by the
Wikimedia Foundation, as they are actually paying for Wikimania. The
Committee advices and tries to identify candidates according to the
Selection Process which the WMF then assesses. We will provide
recommendations but we cannot make the final decision.

Maybe an additional word on the Selection Process.
We saw issues with the bidding process. A lot of volunteer time is
wasted on bids that will never make it, mainly due to the rotation
principle that was not documented by intented by many juries.
In order to streamline this and make the rotation principle an actual
part of the process, we created the Selection Process. It does
incorporate he fact that 80% of our current community is in the Americas
and Europe, that flying between developing countries is much more
expensive then to major hubs etc. The Selection Process still includes
developing countries and all major continents but on a basis of "every
other year", to balance the different criteria and the intention for
cheap and efficient on the one hand and a global conference with
outreach in areas we've never been to on the other.

/Manuel
www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Gnangarra
Firstly Australia isnt a third world country, or a developing country(though som eof our idiotic politicans would like it to be) its also the primary contributor of donations from the region the third highest region for donations to the WMF.

Esino Lario wasnt a transport hub not even a secondary hub it doesnt even have an airport we have those in Australia you know you might also like to know that the third oldest airline and the one with the best safety record is also Australian, oh the black boxes were an Australian invention as well.

And that wonderful WiFi everyone enjoys at Wikimanias was developed in Australia.

When it comes to regional conference Australia is part of Asia and expected to support programs there, ie in Berlin the WMAU representatives were told we are to support(not negotiable, though we would have anyway) the regional conference in Jakarta in 2017 but when it comes to Wikimania Australia isnt part of Asia, when it comes to scholarships for Wikimania Australia is part of Europe.. Kind of appears to us in Australia that we get shoved to where ever we can be best excluded from the community.

On 28 June 2016 at 19:48, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Gnangarra,

On 28.06.2016 13:16, Gnangarra wrote:
> Thanks for the information Manuel, but where was this session
>
> who is working on identifying a host, where is this process taking place.

the session was this one:

https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Discussions/The_future_of_Wikimania

Afterwards the Wikimania Committee had a meeting, minutes will be posted
soon as soon as they are ready and approved.

The Wikimania Committee is looking for hosts right now according to the
process decided and published last year, everything (incl. the above
mentioned minutes) can be found on this page:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Committee

According to the selection process Asia, or as a fallback Sub-Saharan
Africa are the areas we are looking at. Ellie Young has already been in
touch with candidates in Asia and has reported briefly to the Wikimania
Committee.
In the meeting we just had we clarified that the rotation principle, as
laid out in the Selection Process posted on Meta, is a guideline. If
there are no candidates we will look for a different region, just as we
defined Sub-Saharan Africa as the backup for 2018. Please keep in mind
that the due diligence on the candidate teams and venues is done by the
Wikimedia Foundation, as they are actually paying for Wikimania. The
Committee advices and tries to identify candidates according to the
Selection Process which the WMF then assesses. We will provide
recommendations but we cannot make the final decision.

Maybe an additional word on the Selection Process.
We saw issues with the bidding process. A lot of volunteer time is
wasted on bids that will never make it, mainly due to the rotation
principle that was not documented by intented by many juries.
In order to streamline this and make the rotation principle an actual
part of the process, we created the Selection Process. It does
incorporate he fact that 80% of our current community is in the Americas
and Europe, that flying between developing countries is much more
expensive then to major hubs etc. The Selection Process still includes
developing countries and all major continents but on a basis of "every
other year", to balance the different criteria and the intention for
cheap and efficient on the one hand and a global conference with
outreach in areas we've never been to on the other.

/Manuel
www.wikimedia.ch

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi Gnangarra,

it is a fact that has been in discussion a few times on this list and
elsewhere that Wikimania in Australia would be a wonderful thing but
something that is not likely to happen, due to the cost of getting
everyone there. That said it may not be entirely impossible, but difficult.

Anyway I know that Ellie Young is happy to receive any proposal you may
have and do a proper due diligence on it! Get in touch with her and see
if you two can work out something that is doable, despite the costs!

/Manuel
www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Luca Martinelli
While I STRONGLY SUPPORT a Wikimania in Australia, this is not the
proper thread to discuss it.

Please, let's get back on topic -- how to show some love to the
volunteers who worked their arse off for us all -- or change the topic
of this thread, if we want to discuss the pros and cons of a Wikimania
2018 hosted by the Australian chapter.

Cheers,

L.

> I know for a fact she isnt as she told Andrew Owens our representative such
> in Berlin
>
> On 28 June 2016 at 20:26, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gnangarra,
>>
>> it is a fact that has been in discussion a few times on this list and
>> elsewhere that Wikimania in Australia would be a wonderful thing but
>> something that is not likely to happen, due to the cost of getting
>> everyone there. That said it may not be entirely impossible, but
>> difficult.
>>
>> Anyway I know that Ellie Young is happy to receive any proposal you may
>> have and do a proper due diligence on it! Get in touch with her and see
>> if you two can work out something that is doable, despite the costs!
>>
>> /Manuel
>> --
>> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
>> www.wikimedia.ch

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia

Luca "Sannita" Martinelli
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Sannita

Re: Say MiLLE GRACIE to all Wikimania volunteers

Gnangarra
fair enough