Scholarship and early registration

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
Hi all

A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
available soon
on 23 Apr

However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship

So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
register first
Then sort of reimbursing later if required?

lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.

自吾之埃拍
Sent from my iPad

Re: Scholarship and early registration

James Hare
Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> available soon
> on 23 Apr
>
> However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
>
> So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> register first
> Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
>
> lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
>
> 自吾之埃拍
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Sage Ross

We also expect to notify applicants in time for early registration if they don't receive a scholarship. We're very close now.

-Sage

On Apr 18, 2012 10:48 AM, "James Hare" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> available soon
> on 23 Apr
>
> However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
>
> So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> register first
> Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
>
> lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
>
> 自吾之埃拍
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Thomas Dalton

Yes, but what if you don't get a scholarship?
On Apr 18, 2012 3:48 PM, "James Hare" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> > The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> > available soon
> > on 23 Apr
> >
> > However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
> >
> > So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> > register first
> > Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
> >
> > lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
> >
> > 自吾之埃拍
> > Sent from my iPad

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Deryck Chan
I think what James means is that if you'll go regardless of whether you get a scholarship, please register now and you'll be reimbursed any price difference later.

If you won't go in the case you don't get any scholarship, then obviously you don't need to register now, and the price will not go up later for those who are getting scholarship.

Deryck

On 18 April 2012 23:19, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, but what if you don't get a scholarship?

On Apr 18, 2012 3:48 PM, "James Hare" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> > The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> > available soon
> > on 23 Apr
> >
> > However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
> >
> > So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> > register first
> > Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
> >
> > lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
> >
> > 自吾之埃拍
> > Sent from my iPad

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Orsolya Gyenes
How close? :)

~Orsolya
WM2012 Program Depurty Chair

2012. április 18. 17:18 Sage Ross írta, <[hidden email]>:

We also expect to notify applicants in time for early registration if they don't receive a scholarship. We're very close now.

-Sage

On Apr 18, 2012 10:48 AM, "James Hare" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> available soon
> on 23 Apr
>
> However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
>
> So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> register first
> Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
>
> lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
>
> 自吾之埃拍
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Samat-2
You are so impatient, Orsi :)
Sage said: very close.

Samat

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 18:18, Orsolya Gyenes <[hidden email]> wrote:
How close? :)

~Orsolya
WM2012 Program Depurty Chair

2012. április 18. 17:18 Sage Ross írta, <[hidden email]>:

We also expect to notify applicants in time for early registration if they don't receive a scholarship. We're very close now.

-Sage

On Apr 18, 2012 10:48 AM, "James Hare" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Scholar registration is $35 regardless of date.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2012, at 8:31 AM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A number of fellow Wikipedians had noticed that
> The early bird rate for this year's Wikimania Registration will not
> available soon
> on 23 Apr
>
> However there is not yet any sign of announcement of the scholarship
>
> So I wonder if the DC team would suggest definate-will-go applicants
> register first
> Then sort of reimbursing later if required?
>
> lOOking forward to any reply from the DC OCs soon.
>
> 自吾之埃拍
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Maarten Dammers
Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
You are so impatient, Orsi :)
Sage said: very close.
This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.

Maarten

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Sage Ross

Yes. We're sorry it took so long. Results went out Friday. Chapter scholarships should be finalized soon.

On the plus side, we expect to leave next year's team in a good position to launch the process early.

-Sage

(sent from my phone)

On Apr 22, 2012 9:09 AM, "Maarten Dammers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
You are so impatient, Orsi :)
Sage said: very close.
This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.

Maarten

Re: Scholarship and early registration

stephen wanjau-2
Hello,

I haven't received a feedback on my scholarship application status.

best,
[[user:stephenwanjau]]

On 4/22/12, Sage Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes. We're sorry it took so long. Results went out Friday. Chapter
> scholarships should be finalized soon.
>
> On the plus side, we expect to leave next year's team in a good position to
> launch the process early.
>
> -Sage
>
> (sent from my phone)
> On Apr 22, 2012 9:09 AM, "Maarten Dammers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
>>
>> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
>> Sage said:* very* close.
>>
>> This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
>> scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
>> Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
>> It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.
>>
>> Maarten

*"Better Late Than Never, But Never Late is Better"*
<http://uwanja.wordpress.com>
uwanja <https://twitter.com/#%21/uwanja>

On 22 April 2012 14:09, Maarten Dammers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
>
> You are so impatient, Orsi :)
> Sage said: very close.
>
> This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the
> scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of
> Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
> It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.

Keep in mind, last year was so ridiculously well organised that it was
always going to be a tough act to follow. Give them a chance!

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:09, Maarten Dammers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Op 19-4-2012 18:32, Samat schreef:
You are so impatient, Orsi :)
Sage said: very close.
This is not impatience. Organization is just very late. Last year the scholarships were announced end of March, four months in advance of Wikimania 2011. Now it's only 81 days left for Wikimania 2012.
It's a bit like the hotels, "almost done" since the beginning of April.

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

I know and agree.
My comment was a little bit with irony. Orsi knows me, and I hope she understood that :)

Samat

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Tomasz W. Kozłowski

2012/4/22 Tomasz Kozłowski <[hidden email]>:

> I can't find anything ridiculous in organising a conference well; on the
> contrary, I think we all should try to reach the standards set by the
> Haifa team.

Oh, of course. Every year should try and be better than the year
before, but that doesn't mean they've failed if there is something
that ends up not being quite a good.

> I am absolutely /not/ surprised by the impatience shown on this list;
> the later people know about their accommodation options, the more it's
> going to cost them -- and we are talking about the Real Life Money(TM) here.

I don't think that's true. You can book now if you want to. You only
have to wait if you want to take advantage of the discounts that
organisers are able to negotiate, and those discounts aren't going to
be any less because they took longer to arrange.

Re: Scholarship and early registration

James Hare
2012/4/22 Tomasz Kozłowski <[hidden email]>:

It does seem like we're being mute about things, and I do regret that.
But as a personal rule I don't like announcing things before they're
done. You have a right to complete information and that is what you
will get—once it is available.

Here is a sneak peak. We have the "official hotel" which will run
$189/night. It is a brief walk from the venue (or you could take a $6
taxi if you insist). It gets you some of the best free hotel wireless
in DC as well as continental breakfast. We will also be making a deal
with a $149/night hotel that is VERY close to the venue, but you have
to purchase breakfast. We also got a couple of hotels thrown in at
$149/night with free breakfast and wireless, but they are farther from
the venue (but we can easily arrange for group transportation). These
prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax. I'd also like to make some
beds in the hostel available for general consumption, but between all
the people receiving scholarships, I am not sure that can happen.

If I had my druthers, we'd have cheaper hotel rates. However, the
$189/night hotel is already at a steep discount (it normally sells for
$240 in the summer) and the $149 rate is the best you will get in
Washington, DC during the summer. It is worth noting that as a
conference we are prioritizing hotels that are close to the venue
(except for the two which are farther away, but those were too good an
offer to pass up—they're NICE hotels). You are all free men and women
and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
go to Priceline no matter what.

I shouldn't be saying this, but you may be able to get a good rate on
hotels if you book in Arlington; specifically, near the Rosslyn, Court
House, or Clarendon metro stations. Those are all on the same line as
the venue (located by the Foggy Bottom–GWU station), but are urbanized
enough areas that you don't need a car. Additionally, since they are
outside the city and in Virginia, the hotel tax is significantly
cheaper. If you're of limited means, consider booking in Arlington. If
you can afford the extra cost and would like to stay close to the
venue, adjacent to our special events and to great neighborhoods in
general, and in close proximity to other Wikipedians, please consider
the hotels we'll be promoting on our website soon.

I can't wait to see you all at Wikimania!

Regards,
James Hare

On 22 April 2012 15:39, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
> These prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax.

Please quote all prices inclusive of all taxes. This American habit of
quoting prices net of tax if just silly. What I care about is how much
money I'm going to have to hand over. I couldn't care less how much of
that goes to the hotel and how much to the government.

I have no idea what the tax rate is for hotels in DC, so I have no
idea what those numbers you've quoted actually mean.

> You are all free men and women
> and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
> cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
> go to Priceline no matter what.

I think that is a very bad assumption. My understanding is that the
vast majority of attendees stay in the recommended accommodation that
is in their price range. The fact that you are staying somewhere full
of Wikimedians is part of the fun. If you book your own accommodation
from a price comparison website, you'll probably end up on your own.

If the cheapest accommodation you are recommending for people not on a
scholarship is $149/night plus whatever the taxes are, then I think we
may have a problem...

Re: Scholarship and early registration

Aude-2
On Apr 22, 2012, at 5:14 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 22 April 2012 15:39, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> These prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax.
>
> Please quote all prices inclusive of all taxes. This American habit of
> quoting prices net of tax if just silly. What I care about is how much
> money I'm going to have to hand over. I couldn't care less how much of
> that goes to the hotel and how much to the government.
>
> I have no idea what the tax rate is for hotels in DC, so I have no
> idea what those numbers you've quoted actually mean.
>
>> You are all free men and women
>> and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
>> cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
>> go to Priceline no matter what.
>
> I think that is a very bad assumption. My understanding is that the
> vast majority of attendees stay in the recommended accommodation that
> is in their price range. The fact that you are staying somewhere full
> of Wikimedians is part of the fun. If you book your own accommodation
> from a price comparison website, you'll probably end up on your own.
>
> If the cheapest accommodation you are recommending for people not on a
> scholarship is $149/night plus whatever the taxes are, then I think we
> may have a problem...

I assume many people will want to share a room with another person,
which cuts the cost per person in half

Would a wiki page be helpful where people can indicate if they are
seeking to share a hotel room?

Katie

On 22 April 2012 16:24, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I assume many people will want to share a room with another person, which
> cuts the cost per person in half

Does it? Most hotels I know charge more if there are two people
staying in a room.

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 April 2012 16:24, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I assume many people will want to share a room with another person, which
>> cuts the cost per person in half
>
> Does it? Most hotels I know charge more if there are two people
> staying in a room.

The deals we're arranging have no extra charge for dual occupancy.

Regards,
James Hare

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 April 2012 15:39, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> These prices are before DC's ludicrous hotel tax.
>
> Please quote all prices inclusive of all taxes. This American habit of
> quoting prices net of tax if just silly. What I care about is how much
> money I'm going to have to hand over. I couldn't care less how much of
> that goes to the hotel and how much to the government.
>
> I have no idea what the tax rate is for hotels in DC, so I have no
> idea what those numbers you've quoted actually mean.

14.5% on top. $189 becomes $216.41 and $149 becomes $170.61.

>> You are all free men and women
>> and are welcome to book somewhere cheaply if you can find somewhere
>> cheap, since we figured that those looking to save money are going to
>> go to Priceline no matter what.
>
> I think that is a very bad assumption. My understanding is that the
> vast majority of attendees stay in the recommended accommodation that
> is in their price range. The fact that you are staying somewhere full
> of Wikimedians is part of the fun. If you book your own accommodation
> from a price comparison website, you'll probably end up on your own.
>
> If the cheapest accommodation you are recommending for people not on a
> scholarship is $149/night plus whatever the taxes are, then I think we
> may have a problem...

We are looking into expanding our hostel options, including reserving
additional beds and encouraging those currently staying at the hostel
to upgrade. I am not at all surprised by your discontent, but DC is an
expensive city.

James