Schools projects

Thomas Morton
Hey all,

What is the status of our work with schools/education? http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Schools_project seems to be a little stagnant, there are references to other School interactions on the Wiki (including a link to a hidden office page about the educational budget).

Is any of this still active?

I only ask because I've been approached locally to do some in-school work relating to Wikipedia and it occurred to me that this is a major area we could be focusing on.

I've got a decent amount of experience working with children, schools and educators and it would be great to contribute that on a wider scale.

If none of those projects are particularly active, would anyone be interested in working on this (including volunteering to go into schools and youth groups)?

Tom / ErrantX

Re: Schools projects

Alex Stinson
Tom,

Well recently I have been trying to build relationships at the University level in order to make Wikipedia more accessible along the lines of the Wikipedia Ambassador program in the US (Wikipedia Ambassadors UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ambassadors/UK ). We have had particular success in discussion at Imperial College and in Bristol, and have possible leads in Cambridge and Durham. We are going to be training 4-5 ambassadors mid June on those issues and will likely be doing a second round of training sometime closer to the fall . The training is focused on communicating Wikipedia in a University/Education setting and how to do successful outreach and class projects at that level.

When I checked in on the Schools project in December/January, I couldn't find anyone that was still actively doing that stuff. I would be interested in talking to you, because I am actually helping a couple of high school professors integrate the Ambassador program techniques into AP Classes (similar to IB) in the fall in Virginia, when I go back to the states.

Alex Stinson

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Keating-2
I think it's been hibernating for a while. I haven't heard it mentioned at all since the new Board took office.

Of course, if someone wants to pick up the ball and run with it, that would be very welcome. Whereabouts are you, Tom?

Regards,

Chris

[...]

Chris,

Yes, that was my impression too - I have some ideas/proposals to try and bring into play but didn't want to step on top of an active project that I'd missed :P

I'm based in Lincolnshire.

Alex,

I've been keeping a close eye on the Ambassadors project - it looks like some great work (yet another reason to wish I was a student again :)). Expanding that into schools is a major project, but one that I think would net us some massive gains long term. I'd be really interested in hearing about your work with the high school professors.

In general:

I've been interested in education for a while; I'm a scout leader here & my parents have their own business doing educational visits to schools on the topic of astronomy (so I have fairly extensive experience of that sort of "business model"). The reason I have a specific interest now is that I've been approached to look at doing an evening class on computers and the internet at a local secondary school. One of the topics I want to cover is Wikipedia and WP editing.

I could put together some teaching material & release it for others to use on an ad-hoc basis, but I think there is loads more we could expand into if WMUK were behind it - stuff like working with the teaching bodies to get WP recognised as a resource, and perhaps even worked into the curriculum (at the very least work with them to provide useful material for teachers/students about Wikipedia). In fact, something like the training events Cancer Research people (but for teachers) would be really interesting to explore.

Another off-hand idea; it would be great to try and team up with some of the GLAM institutions to run educational days (i.e. have groups of kids turn up to learn about stuff using local and Wikipedia content, and to get an introduction to Wikipedia).

And more; we could use WMUK resources to train up and support Wikipedia volunteers who want to go into the classroom  - because teaching kids can be damned hard!

There's a lot to focus on, but I think it is one of our most important outreach areas in the UK.

Tom

On 1 June 2011 16:40, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"High school professors." Yikes! Meant teachers, not professors. I thought I fixed that in a second read. Been working with universities for too long.

Tom, that sounds like something that could really use some development in the way of documented techniques or presenting the information. You may want to check out the stuff on the Wikimedia Foundation bookshelf project for materials you can destribute instead of making all of them yourself (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf). We also have been developing a fair amount of stuff at the education portal on outreach, though still a work in progress (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education). Alot has already been developed in fairly professional ways, it just needs to be applied in the class room,

Alex

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hey Alex,

Yes a lot of that has been my starting point. FWIW there is a lack of content for the younger age groups (say 14-16) which is where my current focus is; the "beginner" guides are more suited (at least in my experience of teaching) to older students. I'd also like to see some more material on the goals/ideals of Wikipedia (as that seems a better start point before leaping into account creation :)).

Also I noticed that a lot of the focus is on editing or contributing Wikipedia. I've approached this from a slightly different perspective - which is that most of the kids I will be talking to aren't interested in writing (and probably aren't yet capable of doing so) a Wikipedia article. On the other hand I aim to teach them about using WP as a resource (and the potential pitfalls) as well as trying to get them to treat it with respect (i.e. quit the vandalism).

Is there a place on Outreach where discussion of education/teaching materials is happening?

Tom

On 1 June 2011 17:15, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Roger Bamkin
Two minor threads: Martin Poulter and I discussed how we could put together a teaching plan so that someone like yourself could organise an enevening course in "creating your own wiki page" ... not sure whether Martin made any progress. I know he was investigating ... I suspect there are a lot of people who would like to put their local history work into Wikipedia ... if we just explained it and demo ed it at the same time.

Other thread. I teach secondary ICT. I'm planning to teach intro to Wiki editting next week. I have still to find some resources. Any help appreciated.

regards
Roger B

On 1 June 2011 17:34, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects

Charles Matthews
On 01/06/2011 22:36, Roger Bamkin wrote:
> Two minor threads: Martin Poulter and I discussed how we could put
> together a teaching plan so that someone like yourself could organise
> an enevening course in "creating your own wiki page" ... not sure
> whether Martin made any progress. I know he was investigating ... I
> suspect there are a lot of people who would like to put their local
> history work into Wikipedia ... if we just explained it and demo ed it
> at the same time.

I think there's a significant strand here. It is probably quite true
that local history is a good way to bait the hook. As it happens I have
only once set out to write such an article, and that experience
confirmed an assumption of mine: "reliable sources" are ever more
important as a constraint, as you get off the beaten track in history.
Typical sources may be suspect, such as: random amateur websites; TV
documentaries or local papers; even local council information, though
this is more upmarket. Quite generally, those intending to edit rather
close to home have many things to worry about beyond getting some
wikitext together. Family history/genealogy is a tough area in which to
contribute well, for example. I feel all this is relevant to giving
correct advice to teachers. What is reasonably clear to us in the way of
pitfalls attached to classes of topics would require some getting over.

Charles

Re: Schools projects

Roger Bamkin
I agree Charles. I've come across this with museum folk too who have written on Wikipedia that they have a larger chunk of a particular mineral than anyone else in the world. When it comes down to it, they don't know if this is true and they have never published the claim .... so they cannot write what they feel is true and are shocked when someone else deletes it. I guess you need to edit what youve read and maybe not what you (just) know. Maybe I should not have said "their local history work" but "local history of their area". That way they can read whats published and hold it up to a "reliable sources" guide before they use it.

I'm aware that we do have quite gifted historians who are publishing stuff that only their mates will read, meanwhile their children are reading wikipedia which might need some checking by a gifted historian or two.

cheers
Roger

On 3 June 2011 14:20, Charles Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/06/2011 22:36, Roger Bamkin wrote:
> Two minor threads: Martin Poulter and I discussed how we could put
> together a teaching plan so that someone like yourself could organise
> an enevening course in "creating your own wiki page" ... not sure
> whether Martin made any progress. I know he was investigating ... I
> suspect there are a lot of people who would like to put their local
> history work into Wikipedia ... if we just explained it and demo ed it
> at the same time.

I think there's a significant strand here. It is probably quite true
that local history is a good way to bait the hook. As it happens I have
only once set out to write such an article, and that experience
confirmed an assumption of mine: "reliable sources" are ever more
important as a constraint, as you get off the beaten track in history.
Typical sources may be suspect, such as: random amateur websites; TV
documentaries or local papers; even local council information, though
this is more upmarket. Quite generally, those intending to edit rather
close to home have many things to worry about beyond getting some
wikitext together. Family history/genealogy is a tough area in which to
contribute well, for example. I feel all this is relevant to giving
correct advice to teachers. What is reasonably clear to us in the way of
pitfalls attached to classes of topics would require some getting over.

Charles

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects

Thomas Morton
Roger,

Would be interested to see if Martin made any progress with that. I have to submit lesson plans next week so hopefully might have something of my own to contribute by then.

Pitching this stuff is hard; kids at different ages see things differently, and kids in different areas age at different speeds.

On the other matter; you're clearly way more experienced at this teaching lark than me :) but personally I find that this is the sort of thing that is best taught by "doing". One thing I did with on old teaching group (last year) was set up a cloned wiki with some content copied from Wikipedia and got them to edit it over the course of a few sessions (including collaborating using talk pages etc.) One of the biggest problems with new editors is helping them understand the eco-system.

Tom

On 1 June 2011 22:36, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Martin Poulter-2
I can see five broad ways we can try and engage in education. The diversity of possibilities is great but it means that it's difficult to take a structured approach: each of these things needs a proper working group or task force, and effort on many fronts, in order to have a chance of success. Hence I welcome the list’s input on how we should focus. If we can get a small group of people with ideas and contacts in each area, that would be fantastic. So, five areas:

* Secondary education: get schools using the projects in their educational activities, as Ollie Bray talked about in his keynote at the AGM. This could include projects with content outputs, such as QR-tagging a museum or documenting local geography. There are very broad possibilities here.

* Adult education, as proposed by Roger (I agree with WSC that we should promote “contributing” rather than “creating articles”)

* Higher education practice: get a Campus Ambassador programme working in UK universities. Knock on effects: student Wikipedia societies; Wikipedia assignments getting accepted as teaching practice; big improvements to swathes of WP articles on difficult academic subjects.

* Higher education: get Wikimedia projects recognized by universities as a platform for disseminating and archiving content, whether for teaching or research. Convince funders and projects that we can take care of their content, and give it exposure, at least as well as they can.

* Higher education: get university courses using Wikiversity as a platform, thereby improving WV and opening up educational practice.

I work in HE, and I’ve made that a priority. Apologies, but with adult education I’ve not got past some exploratory emails. The body for this sector was Lifelong Learning UK, but that was wound up earlier this year. NIACE (www.niace.org.uk) seems the most relevant body. Finding an enthusiast in a relevant local or national body would be a way to break through to many tutors around the country.

There is a working group for the Campus Ambassador project and Alex has been great at pushing this forward, including putting out the call for CA applicants. We are taking the sustainability of this project seriously. There are more people who can and will be involved, but I’m not sure how to how to co-ordinate this with the other activities.

In the area of getting universities using us as a content platform, Fae and I are talking to funding bodies and things are moving in a positive direction. We’re aiming not just to arrange events with these organisations, but to affect strategy in a lasting way. In the last few weeks I’ve spoken at the Open Educational Resource conference and, as another way to reach out to that community, created this document for CETIS, which provides advice to the whole sector:

http://wiki.cetis.ac.uk/Wikimedia_Commons_for_UKOER_resources

There’s a lot more to be done in terms of reaching out to individual projects and teaching support units.

Dealing with universities and national educational bodies, we face a similar environment to working with museums and libraries, in that there’s financial and organisational turmoil, and a large proportion of teaching support colleagues in my university and nationally are in some sort of redundancy or job reallocation process. This doesn’t prevent WMUK doing what we want to do, but slows the process and means people have time for us than we would have a couple of years ago.

Higher Education and WV: Leutha is keen on this and I think there are things I can do to help. In terms of affecting teaching practice, there are publications and projects we can target.

Schools: I understand Steve V. has a good relationship with a Bristol primary school as a result of Jimmy’s visit back in January, and we have other school educators in our community.

What would help now, with all these areas, is if people on this list respond to me in private email about what goals they can help us work towards, and I assemble a plan with next steps and who can do them. I envisage a whole area of the WMUK site about our work with education, but before I do that I need to audit what we can reasonably aim to do, rather than make promises we can’t deliver on.

If you've read this long email, you've proved sufficient dedication to the cause. ;)

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr Martin L Poulter           ICT Manager, The Economics Network
Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/

The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter
Board member of Wikimedia UK: http://uk.wikimedia.org/
"Creating a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge"

Re: Schools projects

Patel, Vinesh
I'm working with a few lecturers for a CA program at Imperial; Alex is involved and is training me as an ambassador.

Vinesh
President, WPians at Imperial College

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think you've hit one of the main challenge of schools outreach on the head.

We are starting to have a "recipe" for introducing adult organisations to Wikipedia  which will basically work for charities, universities, museums and the like - we would need several, for schools.

Plus our adult outreach model is based on people coming to events of their own free will, not because they've been told to! I imagine that a room full of schoolkids is a much more difficult audience than what we're used to.

I think this is part of the reason why we're focusing more on universities and GLAMs at the moment. But clearly schools need to be part of the long-term plan...

Chris

Re: Schools projects

Roger Bamkin
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure if my experience is more than yours (5 years ish) but I will be doing this "hands on". I'm intending to use the real wikipedia so it I may need to find some support to rollback damage. (Any volunteers out there - leave a message off list) I have asked classes to get accounts and I have noticed silly stuff already on the school page. Its protected now! It will be an "interesting experiment"

regards
Roger

On 3 June 2011 22:17, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

WereSpielChequers-2
I was recently involved in a children's photography competition
through another organisation I'm involved in. I think that commons and
"Wiki loves monuments" has a huge opportunity there, as most UK kids
now seem to have access to digital cameras and the Internet. It would
be great to launch a "Wiki loves monuments" competition to schools, or
as a badge for scouts to earn.

Providing the rules were clear about not including your friends in the
photographs, or using your full name as your commons ID at least until
you are 18, I think this could be useful, good for the kids and a
great entry route to the community.

WSC

On 5 June 2011 19:19, Martin Poulter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris, what I understand by schools outreach is getting the educational
> benefits of WM projects into schools - via teachers. Hence still an adult
> audience.
>
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>>> Pitching this stuff is hard; kids at different ages see things
>>> differently, and kids in different areas age at different speeds.
>>
>> I think you've hit one of the main challenge of schools outreach on the
>> head.
>> We are starting to have a "recipe" for introducing adult organisations to
>> Wikipedia  which will basically work for charities, universities, museums
>> and the like - we would need several, for schools.
>> Plus our adult outreach model is based on people coming to events of their
>> own free will, not because they've been told to! I imagine that a room full
>> of schoolkids is a much more difficult audience than what we're used to.
>> I think this is part of the reason why we're focusing more on universities
>> and GLAMs at the moment. But clearly schools need to be part of the
>> long-term plan...
>> Chris

> Dr Martin L Poulter           ICT Manager, The Economics Network
> Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
>
> The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
> Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter
> Board member of Wikimedia UK: http://uk.wikimedia.org/
> "Creating a world in which every single human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge"

Re: Schools projects

Harry Burt-2
Surely you needn't even force them to register for Commons at all?
Just make your own child-friendly submissions page, temporarily
hosting them then transferring them en masse to Commons on the
children's behalf.

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

On 6 June 2011 12:47, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was recently involved in a children's photography competition
> through another organisation I'm involved in. I think that commons and
> "Wiki loves monuments" has a huge opportunity there, as most UK kids
> now seem to have access to digital cameras and the Internet. It would
> be great to launch a "Wiki loves monuments" competition to schools, or
> as a badge for scouts to earn.
>
> Providing the rules were clear about not including your friends in the
> photographs, or using your full name as your commons ID at least until
> you are 18, I think this could be useful, good for the kids and a
> great entry route to the community.
>
> WSC
>
> On 5 June 2011 19:19, Martin Poulter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Chris, what I understand by schools outreach is getting the educational
>> benefits of WM projects into schools - via teachers. Hence still an adult
>> audience.

>>> I think you've hit one of the main challenge of schools outreach on the
>>> head.
>>> We are starting to have a "recipe" for introducing adult organisations to
>>> Wikipedia  which will basically work for charities, universities, museums
>>> and the like - we would need several, for schools.
>>> Plus our adult outreach model is based on people coming to events of their
>>> own free will, not because they've been told to! I imagine that a room full
>>> of schoolkids is a much more difficult audience than what we're used to.
>>> I think this is part of the reason why we're focusing more on universities
>>> and GLAMs at the moment. But clearly schools need to be part of the
>>> long-term plan...
>>> Chris
>>>

>> --
>> Dr Martin L Poulter           ICT Manager, The Economics Network
>> Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
>>
>> The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
>> Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter
>> Board member of Wikimedia UK: http://uk.wikimedia.org/
>> "Creating a world in which every single human being can freely share
>> in the sum of all knowledge"

Re: Schools projects

george.watson
Regarding not using full names until the age of 18, I think that's a somewhat high age limit.
While my username is a pseudonym, I, at only 16, am an accredited Wikinewsie and OTRS volunteer, and both of these (plus my personal website) expose my real name. I think 16 year olds (and perhaps even younger) can be trusted to know what they're doing. After all, we can join the army, have sex, and smoke, if we are that way inclined.
We have no need to be overly protective, I think.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Surely you needn't even force them to register for Commons at all?
Just make your own child-friendly submissions page, temporarily
hosting them then transferring them en masse to Commons on the
children's behalf.

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

On 6 June 2011 12:47, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was recently involved in a children's photography competition
> through another organisation I'm involved in. I think that commons and
> "Wiki loves monuments" has a huge opportunity there, as most UK kids
> now seem to have access to digital cameras and the Internet. It would
> be great to launch a "Wiki loves monuments" competition to schools, or
> as a badge for scouts to earn.
>
> Providing the rules were clear about not including your friends in the
> photographs, or using your full name as your commons ID at least until
> you are 18, I think this could be useful, good for the kids and a
> great entry route to the community.
>
> WSC
>
> On 5 June 2011 19:19, Martin Poulter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Chris, what I understand by schools outreach is getting the educational
>> benefits of WM projects into schools - via teachers. Hence still an adult
>> audience.

>>> I think you've hit one of the main challenge of schools outreach on the
>>> head.
>>> We are starting to have a "recipe" for introducing adult organisations to
>>> Wikipedia  which will basically work for charities, universities, museums
>>> and the like - we would need several, for schools.
>>> Plus our adult outreach model is based on people coming to events of their
>>> own free will, not because they've been told to! I imagine that a room full
>>> of schoolkids is a much more difficult audience than what we're used to.
>>> I think this is part of the reason why we're focusing more on universities
>>> and GLAMs at the moment. But clearly schools need to be part of the
>>> long-term plan...
>>> Chris
>>>

>> --
>> Dr Martin L Poulter           ICT Manager, The Economics Network
>> Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
>>
>> The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
>> Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter
>> Board member of Wikimedia UK: http://uk.wikimedia.org/
>> "Creating a world in which every single human being can freely share
>> in the sum of all knowledge"

Re: Schools projects

Steve Virgin
"we can join the army, have sex, and smoke, if we are that way inclined"

George - a word of advice from a Greybeard like me - don't do all of that at
the same time

:-)