Schools projects

Re: Schools projects

brian.mcneil-2
On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 18:19 +0100, steve virgin wrote:
> "we can join the army, have sex, and smoke, if we are that way inclined"
>
> George - a word of advice from a Greybeard like me - don't do all of that at
> the same time

Actually, the minimum age at which you can buy tobacco has been raised
to 18.

So no post-coital smoking for George. :-D

Brian McNeil.
--
[hidden email] | Wikinews Accredited Reporter.
http://en.wikinews.org | http://www.wikinewsie.org

Re: Schools projects

Christophe Henner

Envoye depuis mon Blackberry

Regarding not using full names until the age of 18, I think that's a somewhat high age limit.
While my username is a pseudonym, I, at only 16, am an accredited Wikinewsie and OTRS volunteer, and both of these (plus my personal website) expose my real name. I think 16 year olds (and perhaps even younger) can be trusted to know what they're doing. After all, we can join the army, have sex, and smoke, if we are that way inclined.
We have no need to be overly protective, I think.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

Surely you needn't even force them to register for Commons at all?
Just make your own child-friendly submissions page, temporarily
hosting them then transferring them en masse to Commons on the
children's behalf.

--
Harry (User:Jarry1250)

On 6 June 2011 12:47, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was recently involved in a children's photography competition
> through another organisation I'm involved in. I think that commons and
> "Wiki loves monuments" has a huge opportunity there, as most UK kids
> now seem to have access to digital cameras and the Internet. It would
> be great to launch a "Wiki loves monuments" competition to schools, or
> as a badge for scouts to earn.
>
> Providing the rules were clear about not including your friends in the
> photographs, or using your full name as your commons ID at least until
> you are 18, I think this could be useful, good for the kids and a
> great entry route to the community.
>
> WSC
>
> On 5 June 2011 19:19, Martin Poulter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Chris, what I understand by schools outreach is getting the educational
>> benefits of WM projects into schools - via teachers. Hence still an adult
>> audience.

>>> I think you've hit one of the main challenge of schools outreach on the
>>> head.
>>> We are starting to have a "recipe" for introducing adult organisations to
>>> Wikipedia  which will basically work for charities, universities, museums
>>> and the like - we would need several, for schools.
>>> Plus our adult outreach model is based on people coming to events of their
>>> own free will, not because they've been told to! I imagine that a room full
>>> of schoolkids is a much more difficult audience than what we're used to.
>>> I think this is part of the reason why we're focusing more on universities
>>> and GLAMs at the moment. But clearly schools need to be part of the
>>> long-term plan...
>>> Chris
>>>

>> --
>> Dr Martin L Poulter           ICT Manager, The Economics Network
>> Based at the ILRT, University of Bristol: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
>>
>> The full experience: http://infobomb.org/
>> Wikipedia contributor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MartinPoulter
>> Board member of Wikimedia UK: http://uk.wikimedia.org/
>> "Creating a world in which every single human being can freely share
>> in the sum of all knowledge"

Re: Schools projects

george.watson
I've never tried it myself, but I thought one could smoke at 16, and just had to be 18 to purchase the tobacco.
(This is somewhat off-topic, though)

Brian McNeil.
--
[hidden email] | Wikinews Accredited Reporter.
http://en.wikinews.org | http://www.wikinewsie.org
"Facts don't cease to be facts, but news ceases to be news".

Re: Schools projects

Thomas Morton
There is a lot of interesting stuff here... I've been swamped with email the last few days and only just catching up so bear with me :D

Roger, you have way more experience than me! So I am glad we agree on the best way to approach this. A few years back I watched someone do a power point presentation about Wikipedia, bored me solid :P

r.e. "fake" wikipedia, I came up with this idea after trying to teach my cousins about WP, and then had a bit of an issue where they vandalised some bits :(  Last year I just copied over some articles, of varying quality, to a sandbox wiki and let them loose on it :) There was content to merge back in the end, which was nice!

Next year, if I get chance to do a "full" program I want to try and set up a sandbox wiki about the school - so they can add information about the school etc. - and hopefully work through issues such as BLP, copyvio or sourcing as they arise as discussion points. And also try to build a bit of an eco-system with some admins etc. so they get an idea of how an "online community" might work.

Somewhat ambitious but over the course of a full school year could be fun.

If you need help with rollback (or admin help) feel free to ping me, if I am available happy to help.

Tom

On 5 June 2011 11:39, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure if my experience is more than yours (5 years ish) but I will be doing this "hands on". I'm intending to use the real wikipedia so it I may need to find some support to rollback damage. (Any volunteers out there - leave a message off list) I have asked classes to get accounts and I have noticed silly stuff already on the school page. Its protected now! It will be an "interesting experiment"

regards
Roger

On 3 June 2011 22:17, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roger,

Would be interested to see if Martin made any progress with that. I have to submit lesson plans next week so hopefully might have something of my own to contribute by then.

Pitching this stuff is hard; kids at different ages see things differently, and kids in different areas age at different speeds.

On the other matter; you're clearly way more experienced at this teaching lark than me :) but personally I find that this is the sort of thing that is best taught by "doing". One thing I did with on old teaching group (last year) was set up a cloned wiki with some content copied from Wikipedia and got them to edit it over the course of a few sessions (including collaborating using talk pages etc.) One of the biggest problems with new editors is helping them understand the eco-system.

Tom

On 1 June 2011 22:36, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Two minor threads: Martin Poulter and I discussed how we could put together a teaching plan so that someone like yourself could organise an enevening course in "creating your own wiki page" ... not sure whether Martin made any progress. I know he was investigating ... I suspect there are a lot of people who would like to put their local history work into Wikipedia ... if we just explained it and demo ed it at the same time.

Other thread. I teach secondary ICT. I'm planning to teach intro to Wiki editting next week. I have still to find some resources. Any help appreciated.

regards
Roger B

On 1 June 2011 17:34, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is an education list at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/education which appears to be one of the better ways to contact people because not everyone regularly checks outreach wiki (including myself). I invite people to join who want to work with Education and Wikimedia projects, it include a fair number of Campus Ambassadors who are doing innovative stuff at universities as well as a number of other people in various chapters involved in education stuffs,

Alex

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Alex,

Yes a lot of that has been my starting point. FWIW there is a lack of content for the younger age groups (say 14-16) which is where my current focus is; the "beginner" guides are more suited (at least in my experience of teaching) to older students. I'd also like to see some more material on the goals/ideals of Wikipedia (as that seems a better start point before leaping into account creation :)).

Also I noticed that a lot of the focus is on editing or contributing Wikipedia. I've approached this from a slightly different perspective - which is that most of the kids I will be talking to aren't interested in writing (and probably aren't yet capable of doing so) a Wikipedia article. On the other hand I aim to teach them about using WP as a resource (and the potential pitfalls) as well as trying to get them to treat it with respect (i.e. quit the vandalism).

Is there a place on Outreach where discussion of education/teaching materials is happening?

Tom

On 1 June 2011 17:15, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
"High school professors." Yikes! Meant teachers, not professors. I thought I fixed that in a second read. Been working with universities for too long.

Tom, that sounds like something that could really use some development in the way of documented techniques or presenting the information. You may want to check out the stuff on the Wikimedia Foundation bookshelf project for materials you can destribute instead of making all of them yourself (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf). We also have been developing a fair amount of stuff at the education portal on outreach, though still a work in progress (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education). Alot has already been developed in fairly professional ways, it just needs to be applied in the class room,

Alex

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris,

Yes, that was my impression too - I have some ideas/proposals to try and bring into play but didn't want to step on top of an active project that I'd missed :P

I'm based in Lincolnshire.

Alex,

I've been keeping a close eye on the Ambassadors project - it looks like some great work (yet another reason to wish I was a student again :)). Expanding that into schools is a major project, but one that I think would net us some massive gains long term. I'd be really interested in hearing about your work with the high school professors.

In general:

I've been interested in education for a while; I'm a scout leader here & my parents have their own business doing educational visits to schools on the topic of astronomy (so I have fairly extensive experience of that sort of "business model"). The reason I have a specific interest now is that I've been approached to look at doing an evening class on computers and the internet at a local secondary school. One of the topics I want to cover is Wikipedia and WP editing.

I could put together some teaching material & release it for others to use on an ad-hoc basis, but I think there is loads more we could expand into if WMUK were behind it - stuff like working with the teaching bodies to get WP recognised as a resource, and perhaps even worked into the curriculum (at the very least work with them to provide useful material for teachers/students about Wikipedia). In fact, something like the training events Cancer Research people (but for teachers) would be really interesting to explore.

Another off-hand idea; it would be great to try and team up with some of the GLAM institutions to run educational days (i.e. have groups of kids turn up to learn about stuff using local and Wikipedia content, and to get an introduction to Wikipedia).

And more; we could use WMUK resources to train up and support Wikipedia volunteers who want to go into the classroom  - because teaching kids can be damned hard!

There's a lot to focus on, but I think it is one of our most important outreach areas in the UK.

Tom

On 1 June 2011 16:40, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think it's been hibernating for a while. I haven't heard it mentioned at all since the new Board took office.

Of course, if someone wants to pick up the ball and run with it, that would be very welcome. Whereabouts are you, Tom?

Regards,

Chris

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,

What is the status of our work with schools/education? http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Schools_project seems to be a little stagnant, there are references to other School interactions on the Wiki (including a link to a hidden office page about the educational budget).

Is any of this still active?

I only ask because I've been approached locally to do some in-school work relating to Wikipedia and it occurred to me that this is a major area we could be focusing on.

I've got a decent amount of experience working with children, schools and educators and it would be great to contribute that on a wider scale.

If none of those projects are particularly active, would anyone be interested in working on this (including volunteering to go into schools and youth groups)?

Tom / ErrantX

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects

geni
On 6 June 2011 12:47, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was recently involved in a children's photography competition
> through another organisation I'm involved in. I think that commons and
> "Wiki loves monuments" has a huge opportunity there, as most UK kids
> now seem to have access to digital cameras and the Internet. It would
> be great to launch a "Wiki loves monuments" competition to schools, or
> as a badge for scouts to earn.
>
> Providing the rules were clear about not including your friends in the
> photographs, or using your full name as your commons ID at least until
> you are 18, I think this could be useful, good for the kids and a
> great entry route to the community.
>
> WSC

You would need to explain what we can do better than:

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/

Higher res yes but beyond that?

--
geni

Re: Schools projects

Michael Peel-4

> You would need to explain what we can do better than:
>
> http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/
>
> Higher res yes but beyond that?

That's easy:
- Available under a free license. This is important as it means the images can be distributed more widely, and reused for more things. Also, being able to have them on Wikipedia makes the images a lot more accessible to a worldwide audience (how many international people will encounter IOE compared to Wikipedia?)
- Multiple angles - most images on IOE have a single perspective only, whereas this sort of project could cover the buildings/monuments/etc. from multiple perspectives (or even if it doesn't aim to do that, it still will as lots of photos will invariably be from different angles from the IOE ones). In particular, images of the insides of the buildings would be very valuable, and aren't always (at all?) available on IOE.
- More recent - some objects will have changed since the IOE pictures were taken. e.g. [1] no longer has a roof on it - see [2].
- Continuous updating of the catalogue - IOE shows things as they were 10 years ago, back in 2001. New buildings have been added, some removed (e.g. demolished/burned down/relegated in importance), etc.
- Links to context: there are a huge number of articles that can be written/improved around all of these objects, which could easily be linked in to a project aimed at taking images of all of them. That can also be extended to multiple languages.
- Videos: a lot of cameras nowadays can also make video recordings, and videos e.g. of circumnavigating the buildings would be very useful for Wikipedia users. In some cases, sound recordings would also be useful - again, modern cameras can make these.
- Oh yes, higher resolution. :-)

I really like the idea of doing a large-scale competition like this, and I think there's an awful lot to gain - if someone is willing to put the effort into driving the project forward.

Thanks,
Mike

[1] http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=457776
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Brook_Street_Chapel,_Manchester