ScribblewikiLove(r)

Andrew Turvey-2
If the decision of the elections committee is that his candidacy can stand (although he still hasn't confirmed his full
name), we need to bring the facts to the attention of the voters so that they can make an informed choice. We
shouldn't let a troll get in just because we were asleep on the job. The committee also needs to be careful who they
allow to vote - wouldn't want someone to get elected just because a load of his socks voted for him!

Going forward, I dont see how a charity whose objective is to promote the vision of wikimedia (however this is
eventually phrased) could permit someone to be a trustee who has actively undermined the project. We need to
have some kind of rules and mechanism to deal with these issues - including the ability to bar people from standing
and being able to remove trustees where new information comes to light regarding serious misconduct on wikimedia
projects.

On another point, the elections committee still haven't made a decision regarding the 50% rule. Could you do this ASAP - definitely before the voting starts.

Andrew

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/17 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
> If the decision of the elections committee is that his candidacy can stand (although he still hasn't confirmed his full
> name), we need to bring the facts to the attention of the voters so that they can make an informed choice. We
> shouldn't let a troll get in just because we were asleep on the job. The committee also needs to be careful who they
> allow to vote - wouldn't want someone to get elected just because a load of his socks voted for him!

We certainly need to do something - I understand the user is currently
blocked on meta, which makes answering questions rather challenging. I
suggest the election committee offer to post answers sent to them via
email.

> Going forward, I dont see how a charity whose objective is to promote the vision of wikimedia (however this is
> eventually phrased) could permit someone to be a trustee who has actively undermined the project. We need to
> have some kind of rules and mechanism to deal with these issues - including the ability to bar people from standing
> and being able to remove trustees where new information comes to light regarding serious misconduct on wikimedia
> projects.

I agree, but the decision about what constitutes undermining the
projects should lie with the community, not a meta admin. Following my
previous comments on the subject of removing trustees, I've done a
little reading of the Companies Act 2006 (I really don't recommend
acts of parliament as light bedtime reading!) and it explicitly gives
members the right to dismiss trustees at AGMs and EGMs. A simple
majority of members present at the meeting is required, if memory
serves.

> On another point, the elections committee still haven't made a decision regarding the 50% rule. Could you do this ASAP - definitely before the voting starts.

Excellent point. I don't think we've heard anything from the committee
yet, which suggests they are still in the discussion stage - I'm sure
they'll speak up soon with their final decisions (I gave Seddon a long
list of things they need to decide!).

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

geni

2008/9/17 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>

Excellent point. I don't think we've heard anything from the committee
yet, which suggests they are still in the discussion stage - I'm sure
they'll speak up soon with their final decisions (I gave Seddon a long
list of things they need to decide!).

A fully working outline on how it is currently planed the elections will be conducted can be found at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Candidate_FAQs#What_are_the_election_rules.3F

--
geni

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Thomas Dalton
> A fully working outline on how it is currently planed the elections will be
> conducted can be found at:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Candidate_FAQs#What_are_the_election_rules.3F

Ah, I missed you adding that - thanks! It all looks good. You're
sticking with the proposed timetable for the elections, then?

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Mike Peel

On 17 Sep 2008, at 16:20, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> 2008/9/17 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
>> If the decision of the elections committee is that his candidacy
>> can stand (although he still hasn't confirmed his full
>> name), we need to bring the facts to the attention of the voters
>> so that they can make an informed choice. We
>> shouldn't let a troll get in just because we were asleep on the
>> job. The committee also needs to be careful who they
>> allow to vote - wouldn't want someone to get elected just because
>> a load of his socks voted for him!
>
> We certainly need to do something - I understand the user is currently
> blocked on meta, which makes answering questions rather challenging. I
> suggest the election committee offer to post answers sent to them via
> email.

We should probably consider moving the WMUK stuff onto a seperate
wiki/server at some point in the future, to avoid this issue (and
similar/related issues) in the future.

Mike

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Thomas Dalton
> We should probably consider moving the WMUK stuff onto a seperate
> wiki/server at some point in the future, to avoid this issue (and
> similar/related issues) in the future.

Absolutely. I would suggest asking the WMF to host a wiki for us at
uk.wikimedia.org (with wikimedia.org.uk redirecting to it) - I think
we may need to wait until we actually have chapter status for that,
though (anyone from WMF or ChapCom reading this, please feel free to
clarify that!).

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

2008/9/17 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:

> We should probably consider moving the WMUK stuff onto a seperate
> wiki/server at some point in the future, to avoid this issue (and
> similar/related issues) in the future.

I'd suggest that Meta is the right place for it, actually.

- d.

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/17 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/9/17 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:
>
>> We should probably consider moving the WMUK stuff onto a seperate
>> wiki/server at some point in the future, to avoid this issue (and
>> similar/related issues) in the future.
>

> I'd suggest that Meta is the right place for it, actually.

Meta is the best place for the moment, but it's really for things
directly relating to the projects. Chapters are meant to be somewhat
independent, so we will need our own place for actual chapter
discussions. During the planning stages, meta will do just fine,
though.

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Al Tally
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd suggest that Meta is the right place for it, actually.

- d.

Wikimedia Pennsylvania have their own wiki: http://pa.us.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I don't see why we can't.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Andrew Whitworth-2
2008/9/17 Al Tally <[hidden email]>:
> Wikimedia Pennsylvania have their own
> wiki: http://pa.us.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
> I don't see why we can't.

The mistake we made with WIkimedia PA was that we created the wiki
before we had any reasonable use or it. Hence, the wiki is basically
abandoned. If you want to go this direction it's relatively easily to
set up if you talk to one of the techs.

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Thomas Dalton
2008/9/17 Andrew Whitworth <[hidden email]>:
> 2008/9/17 Al Tally <[hidden email]>:
>> Wikimedia Pennsylvania have their own
>> wiki: http://pa.us.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>> I don't see why we can't.
>
> The mistake we made with WIkimedia PA was that we created the wiki
> before we had any reasonable use or it. Hence, the wiki is basically
> abandoned. If you want to go this direction it's relatively easily to
> set up if you talk to one of the techs.

We have no need of a wiki yet, but when we do is asking the techs all
that's required? We don't need the approval of the board or anything?

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Cary Bass-4

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Mike Peel

On 17 Sep 2008, at 19:11, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> 2008/9/17 Andrew Whitworth <[hidden email]>:
>> 2008/9/17 Al Tally <[hidden email]>:
>>> Wikimedia Pennsylvania have their own
>>> wiki: http://pa.us.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>> I don't see why we can't.
>>
>> The mistake we made with WIkimedia PA was that we created the wiki
>> before we had any reasonable use or it. Hence, the wiki is basically
>> abandoned. If you want to go this direction it's relatively easily to
>> set up if you talk to one of the techs.
>
> We have no need of a wiki yet, but when we do is asking the techs all
> that's required? We don't need the approval of the board or anything?

Which board?

It's pretty trivial to get Mediawiki installed; if we decide that we
want one, Wikimedia don't want to install / host one, then I would be
willing to set one up and host it.

Mike

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

Thomas Dalton
>> We have no need of a wiki yet, but when we do is asking the techs all
>> that's required? We don't need the approval of the board or anything?
>
> Which board?

WMF, since they control the servers. Cary says we just need to file a
bug report, though, which we can easily do.

> It's pretty trivial to get Mediawiki installed; if we decide that we
> want one, Wikimedia don't want to install / host one, then I would be
> willing to set one up and host it.

Yeah, I've run Mediawiki installations for testing purposes, it's easy
enough. I don't see any reason why WMF would reject our request,
though.

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

David Gerard-2
2008/9/17 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:

>> It's pretty trivial to get Mediawiki installed; if we decide that we
>> want one, Wikimedia don't want to install / host one, then I would be
>> willing to set one up and host it.

> Yeah, I've run Mediawiki installations for testing purposes, it's easy
> enough.

Yep. One thing about Mediawiki: it's *incredibly* easy to set up.

> I don't see any reason why WMF would reject our request,
> though.

Indeed.

- d.

Election rules (was Re: ScribblewikiLove(r))

Ross Gardler
geni wrote:

> A fully working outline on how it is currently planed the elections will
> be conducted can be found at:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Candidate_FAQs#What_are_the_election_rules.3F

I'm simply posting this under a more meaningful subject header to bring
it to the attention of people.

Folks, there has been some discussion under the previous subject
(preserved above) I'm afraid you'll need to refer to that thread for the
discussion. I just wanted to flag this important announcement in a way
that won't slip past as easily.

Ross

Re: ScribblewikiLove(r)

River Tarnell-2