Scrum of scrums/2019-05-22

Željko Filipin
Hi,

I would like to highlight a few notes from SoS Meeting Bookkeeping:

* We're still looking for a backup facilitator. 👀
* We're still looking for feedback if this meeting is useful. If it is, is
there anything we could do to make it more useful?
** SoS is really useful to Release Engineering because we are frequently
blocked by various teams because of train. We also frequently block other
teams because we're in charge of continuous integration (CI).
** Should we make the meeting notes as short as possible, so interested
people could read all of it? One step in that direction could be removing
teams that did not leave any updates.

Željko

--

= 2019-05-22 =

== Callouts ==

* Train blocked
** Growth - operand type was used:  expects array(s) or collection(s) in
/srv/mediawiki/wmf-config/flaggedrevs.php on line 182
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224116
** Growth - Special:ProblemChanges on several Wiktionary sites show raw
message IDs instead of translated strings
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224124
* Introducing the codehealth pipeline beta (by Kosta Harlan)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/160/introducing_the_codehealth_pipeline_beta/
* Language -> SRE:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/operations/puppet/+/506043/

== Audiences ==

=== Contributors ===

==== Community Tech ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

==== Anti-Harassment Tools ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

==== Editing ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** git #b6704010 - Automatically add a template when chosen from the
autocomplete list (Hackathon project)
** git #3285b7db - Initialize $restbaseHeaders to null (T223281)
** Working on a model corruption issue related to selections in VE:
(T202719)

==== Growth ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
** Release Engineering - Train blocked
*** operand type was used:  expects array(s) or collection(s) in
/srv/mediawiki/wmf-config/flaggedrevs.php on line 182
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224116
*** Special:ProblemChanges on several Wiktionary sites show raw message IDs
instead of translated strings https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224124
* Updates:
** Introducing the codehealth pipeline beta (by Kosta Harlan)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/160/introducing_the_codehealth_pipeline_beta/

==== Language ====
* Blocked by:
** SRE (BBlack):
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/operations/puppet/+/506043/
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Readers ===

==== iOS native app ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Continuing development on v6.3 - beginning user testing soon
*** Talk page MCS endpoint - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T221148
*** Talk page native work - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T215928
*** Link wizard in Editor - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T213979
*** Media wizard in Editor - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T209398

==== Android native app ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** New Beta release with minor bug fixes and enhancements (and with updated
logout behavior).
** Continuing to build on the Suggested Edits feature (beginning work on
editing structured captions on Commons).

==== Readers Web ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

==== Readers Infrastructure ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Maps: node10js migration is finished for a couple of weeks and remains
stable

==== Multimedia ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** qualifiers for depicts statements now on test-commons, should reach
commons itself later in the week
** next release - other statements, within the next few weeks

==== Parsing ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

==== UI Standardization ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

== Technology ==

=== Analytics ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Team is at offsite next week, May 27 through May 31st
** Time selector updated on Wikistats 2 along with other improvements, on
track for beta release by the end of the quarter
** Looking into Apache Kylin for big data OLAP cube creation
** Working on moving reportupdater queries from repositories like
limn-language-data to the analytics-reportupdater-queries repository to
centralize reportupdater usage so we can more easily maintain and help with
queries going forward

=== Cloud Services ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Looking at Perf team's patches to reduce CentralNotice overhead
** CentralNotice bannmonitoring
** Dedupe improvements for core CiviCRM
** Anti-fraud improvments
** Better-styled card entry form for main card processor

=== Core Platform ===

* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** REST routing RFC to TechCom https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T221177
** Evan, Cindy, Daniel at Wikimedia Hackathon 2019.
** Determining Session TTLs for new session storage
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T222990
** RESTBagOStuff for sessions ready for review
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T215533
** First action API integration tests in Phester
** RESTBase split, dropping old parsoid cache tables next week

=== Performance ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** (Peter) Trying out different FPS settings for synthetic performance
analysis in WebPageTest. – https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T223502
** (Aaron) Improve APCu serialisation performance in preparation of PHP 7
roll out (avoid regression from HHVM).
** Gilles attended TheWebConf  2019 (SF), presenting the results from our
user-perceived performance research.  –
https://twitter.com/fullstackjerk/status/1129549644789235712
** Timo attended Wikimedia Hackathon 2019 (Prague).
** Finished perf review for the new "Ajax log out" user interface (for
Audiences Design).
** Continuing reducing of startup cost for page views (collab with
Fundraising, Analytics, WMDE). https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T209699,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T203696
** Finishing page view perf analysis report from March 2019. Two sub tasks
remaining (collab with Analytics and Growth). –
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T219342

=== Release Engineering ===
* Blocked by:
** Growth - operand type was used:  expects array(s) or collection(s) in
/srv/mediawiki/wmf-config/flaggedrevs.php on line 182
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224116
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Introducing the codehealth pipeline beta (by Kosta Harlan)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/160/introducing_the_codehealth_pipeline_beta/
** Train Health
*** Last week: 1.34.0-wmf.5 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220730
*** This week: 1.34.0-wmf.6 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220731
**** We're expecting slighly more problems this week, more commits than
usual are created last week because of Wikimedia Hackathon.
**** Growth - operand type was used:  expects array(s) or collection(s) in
/srv/mediawiki/wmf-config/flaggedrevs.php on line 182
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224116
**** Growth - Special:ProblemChanges on several Wiktionary sites show raw
message IDs instead of translated strings
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T224124
*** Next week: 1.34.0-wmf.7 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220732

=== Research ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Scoring Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Security ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Services ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Site Reliability Engineering ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
** Language: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/operations/puppet/+/506043/
* Updates:

== TechComm ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Hosted Office Hour at Hackathon
** No RFC IRC meeting this week

== Wikidata ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Many interesting session, meetings and loads of hacking time at
Wikimedia Hackathon in Prague
** Working with SRE on deploying SSR service to kubernetes:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T220402
** EntitySchema a.k.a. Shape Expressions live on beta, going live on
wikidata.org next week

== German Technical Wishlist ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

== SoS Meeting Bookkeeping ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** We're still looking for a backup facilitator. 👀
** Please keep in mind that this page is copy/pasted to a wiki page. Text
on this page will be rendered as wikitext. See this page for some common
formatting errors.
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?diff=3240805&oldid=3240802&title=Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-15&type=revision&diffmode=source
** If your team is blocking/blocked, please make sure you copy/paste the
note from your team section to the other team's section.
** We're still looking for feedback if this meeting is useful. If it is, is
there anything we could do to make it more useful?
*** SoS is really useful to Release Engineering because we are frequently
blocked by various teams because of train. We also frequently block other
teams because we're in charge of continuous integration (CI).
*** Should we make the meeting notes as short as possible, so interested
people could read all of it? One step in that directon could be removing
teams that did not leave any updates.

Re: Scrum of scrums/2019-05-22

Željko Filipin
I have forgot link to HTML version 🤦‍♂️

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-22

Željko

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 6:50 PM Željko Filipin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> on this page will be rendered as wikitext. See this page for some common
> formatting errors.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?diff=3240805&oldid=3240802&title=Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-15&type=revision&diffmode=source
> ** If your team is blocking/blocked, please make sure you copy/paste the
> note from your team section to the other team's section.
> ** We're still looking for feedback if this meeting is useful. If it is,
> is there anything we could do to make it more useful?
> *** SoS is really useful to Release Engineering because we are frequently
> blocked by various teams because of train. We also frequently block other
> teams because we're in charge of continuous integration (CI).
> *** Should we make the meeting notes as short as possible, so interested
> people could read all of it? One step in that directon could be removing

Pine W
Regarding the request for feedback on SoS meetings, for me these notes are
frequently interesting and occasionally useful in their current form. I
like having the placeholders for teams so that I can get a sense of what
teams currently exist and how they are named. However, my guess is that
these are expensive meetings in terms of dollars spent on staff time for
meeting preparation, the meetings themselves, and post-meeting
documentation and reading, so I understand the desire to weigh the value of
these meetings and to consider revisions.

Regards,

Pine

On Wed, May 22, 2019, 09:52 Željko Filipin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > on this page will be rendered as wikitext. See this page for some common
> > formatting errors.
> >
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?diff=3240805&oldid=3240802&title=Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-15&type=revision&diffmode=source
> > ** If your team is blocking/blocked, please make sure you copy/paste the
> > note from your team section to the other team's section.
> > ** We're still looking for feedback if this meeting is useful. If it is,
> > is there anything we could do to make it more useful?
> > *** SoS is really useful to Release Engineering because we are frequently
> > blocked by various teams because of train. We also frequently block other
> > teams because we're in charge of continuous integration (CI).
> > *** Should we make the meeting notes as short as possible, so interested
> > people could read all of it? One step in that directon could be removing

Subramanya Sastry
I have added a Parsing update @
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-22#Parsing -Subbu.

On 5/22/19 11:50 AM, Željko Filipin wrote:

> [...]
> on this page will be rendered as wikitext. See this page for some common
> formatting errors.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?diff=3240805&oldid=3240802&title=Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-15&type=revision&diffmode=source
> ** If your team is blocking/blocked, please make sure you copy/paste the
> note from your team section to the other team's section.
> ** We're still looking for feedback if this meeting is useful. If it is, is
> there anything we could do to make it more useful?
> *** SoS is really useful to Release Engineering because we are frequently
> blocked by various teams because of train. We also frequently block other
> teams because we're in charge of continuous integration (CI).
> *** Should we make the meeting notes as short as possible, so interested
> people could read all of it? One step in that directon could be removing

zppix e
I echo what pine said, I do love reading this, I also like to see what the teams are working on so if i see a blocker or something ill look at it and see if its something i can help with.

--
Devin “Zppix” CCENT
Volunteer Wikimedia Developer

> [...]
>> on this page will be rendered as wikitext. See this page for some common
>> formatting errors.
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?diff=3240805&oldid=3240802&title=Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-15&type=revision&diffmode=source
>> ** If your team is blocking/blocked, please make sure you copy/paste the
>> note from your team section to the other team's section.
>> ** We're still looking for feedback if this meeting is useful. If it is, is
>> there anything we could do to make it more useful?
>> *** SoS is really useful to Release Engineering because we are frequently
>> blocked by various teams because of train. We also frequently block other
>> teams because we're in charge of continuous integration (CI).
>> *** Should we make the meeting notes as short as possible, so interested
>> people could read all of it? One step in that directon could be removing

Sam Smith
I've also added a Readers Web update @
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-22#Readers_Web.

-Sam

---
Engineering Manager, Audiences
Wikimedia Foundation

Timezone: BST (UTC+1)

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Subramanya Sastry <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > formatting errors.
> >
> https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?diff=3240805&oldid=3240802&title=Scrum_of_scrums/2019-05-15&type=revision&diffmode=source
> > ** If your team is blocking/blocked, please make sure you copy/paste the
> > note from your team section to the other team's section.
> > ** We're still looking for feedback if this meeting is useful. If it is,
> is
> > there anything we could do to make it more useful?
> > *** SoS is really useful to Release Engineering because we are frequently
> > blocked by various teams because of train. We also frequently block other
> > teams because we're in charge of continuous integration (CI).
> > *** Should we make the meeting notes as short as possible, so interested
> > people could read all of it? One step in that directon could be removing

Hi Pine,

and thanks for the feedback! Comments are inline.

Željko

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 8:38 PM Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like having the placeholders for teams so that I can get a sense of what
> teams currently exist and how they are named.

SoS meeting notes are not canonical list of teams. Staff and Contractors is
that page:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/role/staff-contractors/

There's also SoS template with all teams, for reference, if that's useful:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/Template

> However, my guess is that
> these are expensive meetings in terms of dollars spent on staff time for
> meeting preparation, the meetings themselves, and post-meeting
> documentation and reading, so I understand the desire to weigh the value of
> these meetings and to consider revisions.

I think SoS is the least expensive of similar meetings. It's usually really
short, about 10 minutes and about 10 people attends it. I usually spend
just a few minutes preparing notes for my team, I guess other teams spend
similar amount of time. There's still room for improvement, of course.

Re: Scrum of scrums/2019-05-22

James Hare-5
Removing empty sections from the final report would be a good idea
irrespective of any of these other decisions.

*James Hare* (he/him)
Associate Product Manager