Search API enhancements?

Brion Vibber-3

Re: Search API enhancements?

Yuri Astrakhan
IMHO we can just add another element next to <search>, like <searchSuggestions>

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=search&srsearch=meaning
returns

<api>
  <query>
    <search>
    </search>
    <searchSuggestions>
      <s>suggestion1</s>
      <s>suggestion2</s>
    </searchSuggestions>

Re: Search API enhancements?

Roan Kattouw
Brion Vibber schreef:

> As we're getting more of the enhanced Lucene search server's
> capabilities exposed to the web UI, it might be good if we can make sure
> they're exposed to the API as well.
>
> I received a request recently specifically about the "did you mean"
> feature for spelling corrections of search terms. Internally this is
> exposed as the hasSuggestion(), getSuggestionQuery(), and
> getSuggestionSnippet() methods on the search result set object for
> search engine backends that support it.
>
> Being able to return this via the API could be rather handy...

I'll try to poke at this some time this week, although I can't make any
promises (I've been busy lately, there's virtually no time left for me
to do MW stuff on Mon-Thu).
> Do we have a standard way to return a query-specific bit of metadata
> with the alternate search term suggestion as well as the list of
> individual results?
No. I'll invent one :) Yuri's suggestion looks good, although I'm wary
of CamelCase in XML tags (but that's just a minor detail). I'll probably
make this optional through srprop=suggestions.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)