Search engine rendered useless by cookies

Search engine rendered useless by cookies

Chris Knust
Hi y´all,

I run a Wiki on MW1.50 at http://www.detroitinfo.de/wiki and still have
trouble with the search function. It´s working smoothly for the first
time, but after revisiting the wiki in the next session I only get crap
returns such as "H*ere are 0* results, beginning with mit #*368282*."
After deleting the detroitinfo.de cookie, everything´s back ok for one
session. This happens with Opera, IE and Firefox.
Since this is rather user-dissatisfying, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, regards
Chris

Re: Search engine rendered useless by cookies

Rob Church
Step one is to upgrade to 1.5.7 since 1.5.0 contains a number of
security vulnerabilities and major bugs.

Rob Church

On 25/03/06, Chris Knust <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi y´all,
>
> I run a Wiki on MW1.50 at http://www.detroitinfo.de/wiki and still have
> trouble with the search function. It´s working smoothly for the first
> time, but after revisiting the wiki in the next session I only get crap
> returns such as "H*ere are 0* results, beginning with mit #*368282*."
> After deleting the detroitinfo.de cookie, everything´s back ok for one
> session. This happens with Opera, IE and Firefox.
> Since this is rather user-dissatisfying, any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks, regards
> Chris

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x (was: Search engine rendered useless by cookies)

Chris Knust
That sounds like a plan; however I have never done a real upgrade but
did a full new installation for 1.5.0 after having run trials with
1.4.x. I have found (again) the installation instructions, but no
upgrade instructions. The zipped download does not include instructions
either which are understandable for an idiot like yours truly, so if
anyone can  point me to he help page for upgrading 1.5.x I would very
much appreciate this.
Thanks so much
Chris
Rob Church schrieb:

> Step one is to upgrade to 1.5.7 since 1.5.0 contains a number of
> security vulnerabilities and major bugs.
>

> Rob Church
>
> On 25/03/06, Chris Knust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi y´all,
>>
>> I run a Wiki on MW1.50 at http://www.detroitinfo.de/wiki and still have
>> trouble with the search function. It´s working smoothly for the first
>> time, but after revisiting the wiki in the next session I only get crap
>> returns such as "H*ere are 0* results, beginning with mit #*368282*."
>> After deleting the detroitinfo.de cookie, everything´s back ok for one
>> session. This happens with Opera, IE and Firefox.
>> Since this is rather user-dissatisfying, any help is greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks, regards
>> Chris
>
> .

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x (was: Search engine rendered useless by cookies)

Michael E. Hancock
From: "Chris Knust" <[hidden email]>

> That sounds like a plan; however I have never done a real upgrade but
> did a full new installation for 1.5.0 after having run trials with
> 1.4.x. I have found (again) the installation instructions, but no
> upgrade instructions. The zipped download does not include instructions
> either which are understandable for an idiot like yours truly, so if
> anyone can  point me to he help page for upgrading 1.5.x I would very
> much appreciate this.
>
> Rob Church schrieb:
> > Step one is to upgrade to 1.5.7 since 1.5.0 contains a number of
> > security vulnerabilities and major bugs.
> >
> > On 25/03/06, Chris Knust <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I run a Wiki on MW1.50 at http://www.detroitinfo.de/wiki and still have
> >> trouble with the search function. It´s working smoothly for the first
> >> time, but after revisiting the wiki in the next session I only get crap
> >> returns such as "H*ere are 0* results, beginning with mit #*368282*."
> >> After deleting the detroitinfo.de cookie, everything´s back ok for one
> >> session. This happens with Opera, IE and Firefox.
> >> Since this is rather user-dissatisfying, any help is greatly
appreciated.

This is from the UPGRADE file from the 1.5.7 distribution:

Basically, to upgrade a wiki you:
* Back up your data! (See Backups! below)
* Extract the new archive. If you can do this in a clean directory that's
  great, but it should work to extract over the old files too. This may
  be easier if you have images etc in place and don't want to move them
  around, but remember to back up first!
* Run the installer to upgrade the database schema (if necessary).

Good Luck!

Michael E. Hancock

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x (was: Search engine rendered useless by cookies)

Andy Roberts-2
 > This is from the UPGRADE file from the 1.5.7 distribution:
>
> Basically, to upgrade a wiki you:
> * Back up your data! (See Backups! below)
> * Extract the new archive. If you can do this in a clean directory that's
>   great, but it should work to extract over the old files too. This may
>   be easier if you have images etc in place and don't want to move them
>   around, but remember to back up first!
> * Run the installer to upgrade the database schema (if necessary).

I've seen thses, but unfortunately they are just a little bit
ambiguous and far from foolproof.

Has anybody sucessfully upgraded from 1.5.0  to 1.5.7 and documented
the precise steps involved please?

For example, if uploading the extracted files of the new version via
FTP, does the localsettings file need to be reconfigured, or can you
keep the old one in situ?

Which other files, if any might need to be retained?

I talke it the last step, running the installer should be ommitted
when upgrading fom 1.5.0 to 1.5.7,  so it's just a case of copying
over some new versions of the php scripts and libraries, but which
ones?

Given that there will be quite a few people attempting this on a
regular basis, it may be worth fleshing out the documentation a bit,
if anybody can spare the time to do so.

--
Andy Roberts

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x

Brion Vibber
Andy Roberts wrote:
> Has anybody sucessfully upgraded from 1.5.0  to 1.5.7 and documented
> the precise steps involved please?

See the file UPGRADE:

"Generally, within a stable release series (e.g. 1.4.0, 1.4.1, etc) there
are no required database changes, and upgrading should require no more
than copying the new source files over the old ones."

Untar the new files over the old files. You're done.

> For example, if uploading the extracted files of the new version via
> FTP, does the localsettings file need to be reconfigured, or can you
> keep the old one in situ?

Leave it.

> I talke it the last step, running the installer should be ommitted
> when upgrading fom 1.5.0 to 1.5.7,  so it's just a case of copying
> over some new versions of the php scripts and libraries, but which
> ones?

Just copy everything in. Did you read the UPGRADE file which explains this?

> Given that there will be quite a few people attempting this on a
> regular basis, it may be worth fleshing out the documentation a bit,
> if anybody can spare the time to do so.

It's in the documentation, in the first paragraph. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x (was: Search engine rendered useless by cookies)

Rob Church
MediaWiki releases contain complete copies of the software which
should replace all the existing files of the previous version. The
LocalSettings.php file can be left unaltered.

When upgrading within the same branch, i.e. from 1.X.Y to 1.X.Z, it is
unusual to find large schema alterations made. Therefore, it is
sufficient in most cases to replace the existing files with the new
ones. If database errors do occur, then the maintenance/update.php
script can be run from the command line to check and alter the
database as needed.

[Now, I happen to know that despite this guideline, there *is* a
schema change somewhere between 1.5.0 and 1.5.7. The transwiki table
is missing from the table definitions somewhere along the line,
although it has been included in the updaters.]

It might be worth us taking the time to write up a clean and reliable
set of documents on upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5, and from 1.5 to 1.6,
and storing these on MediaWiki.org, then removing and pruning all the
dud, old or potentially inaccurate stuff from Meta and anywhere else
it may be hiding.

Rob Church

On 26/03/06, Andy Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > This is from the UPGRADE file from the 1.5.7 distribution:
> >
> > Basically, to upgrade a wiki you:
> > * Back up your data! (See Backups! below)
> > * Extract the new archive. If you can do this in a clean directory that's
> >   great, but it should work to extract over the old files too. This may
> >   be easier if you have images etc in place and don't want to move them
> >   around, but remember to back up first!
> > * Run the installer to upgrade the database schema (if necessary).
>
> I've seen thses, but unfortunately they are just a little bit
> ambiguous and far from foolproof.
>
> Has anybody sucessfully upgraded from 1.5.0  to 1.5.7 and documented
> the precise steps involved please?
>
> For example, if uploading the extracted files of the new version via
> FTP, does the localsettings file need to be reconfigured, or can you
> keep the old one in situ?
>
> Which other files, if any might need to be retained?
>
> I talke it the last step, running the installer should be ommitted
> when upgrading fom 1.5.0 to 1.5.7,  so it's just a case of copying
> over some new versions of the php scripts and libraries, but which
> ones?
>
> Given that there will be quite a few people attempting this on a
> regular basis, it may be worth fleshing out the documentation a bit,
> if anybody can spare the time to do so.
>
> --
> Andy Roberts

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x

Brion Vibber
Rob Church wrote:
> [Now, I happen to know that despite this guideline, there *is* a
> schema change somewhere between 1.5.0 and 1.5.7. The transwiki table
> is missing from the table definitions somewhere along the line,
> although it has been included in the updaters.]

It's not used, however, so it's completely harmless unless you enable an obscure
non-default configuration option.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

jdd

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x

jdd
Rob Church wrote:

> MediaWiki releases contain complete copies of the software which
> should replace all the existing files of the previous version. The
> LocalSettings.php file can be left unaltered.
>
> When upgrading within the same branch, i.e. from 1.X.Y to 1.X.Z, it is
> unusual to find large schema alterations made. Therefore, it is
> sufficient in most cases to replace the existing files with the new
> ones. If database errors do occur, then the maintenance/update.php
> script can be run from the command line to check and alter the
> database as needed.

this may not be sufficient, because it could let the
configure directory unaltered.

at least you must delete this directory after copying.

may be verify the image directory permissions if applicable.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: Hoe wo upgrade from 1.5.x

Rob Church
That's the reason I included it in brackets in a hushed-up sort of tone.

Rob Church