Search update: sister project snippets are now in production!

Search update: sister project snippets are now in production!

Deb Tankersley
Hello,

We're happy to announce that the latest update to the search results page
is now in production!

We've added snippets from the Wikimedia sister projects into a sidebar
display on the search results page to further discovery into even more
knowledge using your search query. You can test this new functionality out
using your favorite wiki and here are a few quick sample URLs to get you
started:

   - German:
   https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Wiener+Schnitzel~&title=Special:Search
   - Italian:
   https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Ricerca&fulltext=1
   - Basque:
   https://eu.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=barruti~&title=Berezi:Bilatu&go=Joan
   - English:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=the+night+is+nigh&title=Special:Search

We had sent an email earlier in the year, in which we described the overall
search work that the Discovery team has been doing, if you'd like a
refresher on our project.[1]

Cheers from the Discovery Search team!

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/discovery/2017-April/001487.html

--
deb tankersley
irc: debt

Re: Search update: sister project snippets are now in production!

James Hare-4
This looks really cool! I think it makes sense that if you search for the
name of a really old book you also get the Wikisource entry, or a
Wiktionary result if you look up a word.

On June 15, 2017 at 5:07:11 PM, Deborah Tankersley (
[hidden email]) wrote:

[...]

Magnus Manske-2
Nice!

But, no results for Wikidata, the site that covers more topics than all out
other sites?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:07 AM Deborah Tankersley <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're happy to announce that the latest update to the search results page
> is now in production!
>
> We've added snippets from the Wikimedia sister projects into a sidebar
> display on the search results page to further discovery into even more
> knowledge using your search query. You can test this new functionality out
> using your favorite wiki and here are a few quick sample URLs to get you
> started:
>
>    - German:
>
> https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Wiener+Schnitzel~&title=Special:Search
>    - Italian:
>    https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Ricerca&fulltext=1
>    - Basque:
>
> https://eu.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=barruti~&title=Berezi:Bilatu&go=Joan
>    - English:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=the+night+is+nigh&title=Special:Search
>
> We had sent an email earlier in the year, in which we described the overall
> search work that the Discovery team has been doing, if you'd like a
> refresher on our project.[1]
>

> Cheers from the Discovery Search team!
>
> [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/discovery/2017-April/001487.html
>

> --
> deb tankersley
> irc: debt
> Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Search update: sister project snippets are now in production!

Stas Malyshev
Hi!

> But, no results for Wikidata, the site that covers more topics than all out
> other sites?

Wikidata search is think right now may not be ready for this yet. It's
way more complicated than regular wiki search because it's a)
multilingual and b) data and not text. We're working on it though :)

--
Stas Malyshev

Re: [discovery] Search update: sister project snippets are now in production!

Dan Garry
Yay! Nice work. :-)

Dan

On 16 June 2017 at 01:06, Deborah Tankersley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're happy to announce that the latest update to the search results page
> is now in production!
>
> We've added snippets from the Wikimedia sister projects into a sidebar
> display on the search results page to further discovery into even more
> knowledge using your search query. You can test this new functionality out
> using your favorite wiki and here are a few quick sample URLs to get you
> started:
>
>    - German: https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Wiener+
>    Schnitzel~&title=Special:Search
>    <https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=Wiener+Schnitzel~&title=Special:Search>
>    - Italian: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Ricerca&
>    fulltext=1
>    - Basque: https://eu.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=barruti~&
>    title=Berezi:Bilatu&go=Joan
>    - English: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=the+night+is+
>    nigh&title=Special:Search
>
> We had sent an email earlier in the year, in which we described the
> overall search work that the Discovery team has been doing, if you'd like a
> refresher on our project.[1]
>

> Cheers from the Discovery Search team!
>
> [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/discovery/2017-April/001487.html
>

> --