Searchindex table marked crashed

Ralf Baechle DL5RB
I've seen this one happen repeatedly:

[...]
mysql> check table searchindex extended;
+--------------------+-------+----------+----------------------------+
| Table              | Op    | Msg_type | Msg_text                   |
+--------------------+-------+----------+----------------------------+
| wikidb.searchindex | check | warning  | Table is marked as crashed |
| wikidb.searchindex | check | status   | OK                         |
+--------------------+-------+----------+----------------------------+
2 rows in set (0.88 sec)

mysql> repair table searchindex extended;
+--------------------+--------+----------+----------+
| Table              | Op     | Msg_type | Msg_text |
+--------------------+--------+----------+----------+
| wikidb.searchindex | repair | status   | OK       |
+--------------------+--------+----------+----------+
1 row in set (2.29 sec)

mysql>
[...]

So nothing dramatic happened - what I don't know is what is causing the
tables to be marked crashed - the machine is up and has been running with
no apparent problems otherwise since a very long time.

The software running is MySQL 4.1.16, Apache 2.0.54 and Mediawiki 1.3.13.

Any ideas on how to avoid this problem from hitting?

  Ralf

Re: Searchindex table marked crashed

Brion Vibber
Ralf Baechle wrote:
> So nothing dramatic happened - what I don't know is what is causing the
> tables to be marked crashed - the machine is up and has been running with
> no apparent problems otherwise since a very long time.

Check MySQL's error log; MySQL may crash and automatically restart itself
without the machine going down.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Searchindex table marked crashed

paul youlten
I've had this problem (on and off) since upgrading to MySQL5.0 - going to
try a re-install.

Paul

> Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > So nothing dramatic happened - what I don't know is what is causing the
> > tables to be marked crashed - the machine is up and has been running
> with
> > no apparent problems otherwise since a very long time.
>
> Check MySQL's error log; MySQL may crash and automatically restart itself
> without the machine going down.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Tel: +44(0) 7814 517 807

Re: Searchindex table marked crashed

M. Cameron Jones
On 3/15/06, paul youlten <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've had this problem (on and off) since upgrading to MySQL5.0 - going to
> try a re-install.

i had similar problems. i would repair the table only to have it crash
again. i ended up dropping the table and recreating it, then running
the maintenance script to rebuild the search index. that seems to have
worked - no crashes since.

- cameron

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:16:42PM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > So nothing dramatic happened - what I don't know is what is causing the
> > tables to be marked crashed - the machine is up and has been running with
> > no apparent problems otherwise since a very long time.
>
> Check MySQL's error log; MySQL may crash and automatically restart itself
> without the machine going down.

No entries at all in MySQL logfile and the daemon process is already running
for ~ six weeks since which this problems has hit several times.

Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:16:42PM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Check MySQL's error log; MySQL may crash and automatically restart itself
>> without the machine going down.
>
> No entries at all in MySQL logfile and the daemon process is already running
> for ~ six weeks since which this problems has hit several times.

I'm afraid you'll talk to MySQL support about it then, we can't help further.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)