Secret Arrests

Fred Bauder-2
There is extended discussion in England and Wales regarding whether
journalists should identify suspects that have been arrested.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/apr/21/press-intrusion-name-suspects

See also
http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc1213/hc07/0780/0780_ii.pdf

Fred

Re: Secret Arrests

Akhil Mulgaonker
I think that journalists should not identify the suspect unless the
journalist gets permission from the suspects family. Because if the
suspect has children the children could get bullied in school. Or
identify the suspect if he/she has no children or family.

On 4/22/13, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is extended discussion in England and Wales regarding whether
> journalists should identify suspects that have been arrested.
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/apr/21/press-intrusion-name-suspects
>
> See also
> http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc1213/hc07/0780/0780_ii.pdf
>
> Fred

*AKHIL MULGAONKER *

Re: Secret Arrests

Fred Bauder-2
As usual, they are intelligent sensitive people, the judges of the High
Court are not wrong, as you eloquently point out. However, the
considerations their reasoning is based have little weight with the
public or with journalists trying to make a pound and build their
audience. "Accused" is their stock in trade. I doubt I could suppress,
oversight, information about an arrest in England and Wales on Wikipedia
without losing the tool unless there were very special other issues
involved.

Fred