Seeking Assistance

Christopher Eicher
I am currently setting up a free gaming access wiki area of my website and
i'm having a bit of trouble with the wiki setup.  Where do I download the
infobox extension file so that I can use this in my wiki pages for the
site?  Tried to use the template coding, but it didn't seem to work and as a
result I found that I needed a .php file in the extensions folder to make it
work.  Is this extension file free use for any wiki site or is the one on
wikipedia specially tailored?  Any help would be appreciated in fixing my
problem.  The current setup for the wiki area of my site is at
http://wiki.mmodomination.com/ if you need some information.

Re: Seeking Assistance

Ross McKay
Christopher Eicher wrote:

>I am currently setting up a free gaming access wiki area of my website and
>i'm having a bit of trouble with the wiki setup.  Where do I download the
>infobox extension file so that I can use this in my wiki pages for the
>site?  Tried to use the template coding, but it didn't seem to work and as a
>result I found that I needed a .php file in the extensions folder to make it
>work.  [...]

Perhaps you are missing the ParserFunctions extension, which allows you
to get a bit sophisticated in your templates.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions
http://www.etcwiki.org/wiki/How_to_install_template_infobox_in_mediawiki
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Let the laddie play wi the knife - he'll learn"

Re: Seeking Assistance

Angela-5

Ross McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps you are missing the ParserFunctions extension

You will need to upgrade MediaWiki to install ParserFunctions as it
was for 1.7 or later. The current version is 1.16 but you are using
1.6.

Angela

Re: Seeking Assistance

Christopher Eicher
Sorry I tried to upgrade my MediaWiki software to the current version, but I
am unable to due to my servers running the 4.49 php coding.  The MediaWiki
code gave me an indication that I needed to be running version 5.0.0 or
higher so I think I might be unable to use the Infobox template.  Even with
an extension file to help the software understand I think I maybe out of
luck. :(

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Christopher Eicher wrote:
> >
> >>I am currently setting up a free gaming access wiki area of my website
> and
> >>i'm having a bit of trouble with the wiki setup.  Where do I download the
> >>infobox extension
>
> Ross McKay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Perhaps you are missing the ParserFunctions extension
>
> You will need to upgrade MediaWiki to install ParserFunctions as it
> was for 1.7 or later. The current version is 1.16 but you are using
> 1.6.
>
> Angela

OQ

Re: Seeking Assistance

OQ
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Christopher Eicher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry I tried to upgrade my MediaWiki software to the current version, but I
> am unable to due to my servers running the 4.49 php coding.  The MediaWiki
> code gave me an indication that I needed to be running version 5.0.0 or
> higher so I think I might be unable to use the Infobox template.  Even with
> an extension file to help the software understand I think I maybe out of
> luck. :(

There's no logical reason to still be running PHP 4. It's old, buggy,
insecure, and unsupported. Current versions of mediawiki require 5.1
or higher. If you cannot upgrade PHP then yes you are stuck with 1.6.
Which is also unsupported.

Re: Seeking Assistance

Chad
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM, OQ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's no logical reason to still be running PHP 4. It's old, buggy,
> insecure, and unsupported. Current versions of mediawiki require 5.1
> or higher. If you cannot upgrade PHP then yes you are stuck with 1.6.
> Which is also unsupported.

And if your host refuses to upgrade to PHP5, switch hosts.

Any host still using PHP4 and refusing to upgrade doesn't
deserve any business.

-Chad

Re: Seeking Assistance

Christopher Eicher
Well turns out i'm the one at fault here since I contacted my hosting
company and they have a script that lets me set things between PHP 4 and
PHP5.  I can also individually set different scripts to run on PHP 4.49 and
the newer PHP5 through this command script.  I'm hesitant to set things to
php5 right now as I just finally managed to finish getting things back to
normal for the wiki 1.6 that i'm running now.  Is there any benefit to
upgrading to the newer version of wiki that I should be aware of?

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM, OQ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > There's no logical reason to still be running PHP 4. It's old, buggy,
> > insecure, and unsupported. Current versions of mediawiki require 5.1
> > or higher. If you cannot upgrade PHP then yes you are stuck with 1.6.
> > Which is also unsupported.
> >

> And if your host refuses to upgrade to PHP5, switch hosts.
>
> Any host still using PHP4 and refusing to upgrade doesn't
> deserve any business.
>
> -Chad

OQ

Re: Seeking Assistance

OQ
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Christopher Eicher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any benefit to upgrading to the newer version of wiki that I should be aware of?

Depends on if you want things to be fixed or not. As mentioned 1.6
isn't supported anymore, so if you find a bug or a problem or there's
a security hole, you'll be told to upgrade to a supported version.

Re: Seeking Assistance

Platonides
OQ wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Christopher Eicher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there any benefit to upgrading to the newer version of wiki that I should be aware of?
>
> Depends on if you want things to be fixed or not. As mentioned 1.6
> isn't supported anymore, so if you find a bug or a problem or there's
> a security hole, you'll be told to upgrade to a supported version.

*There are* security issues on that 4 years old version.
Not to mention the loads of improvements and new features that have been
added since.

You shouldn't have problems updating that, although having a backup is
advisable. Given that it is really young, you may prefer to export
(Special:Export) the 18 pages you created, and start over again.

Hint: You can change the wiki permissions so that you don't allow
anonymous users to edit, without having to protect each page individually.

Re: Seeking Assistance

Christopher Eicher
Tried one last time to update my wiki software and it backfired on me.  It's
giving me a Database Error now "
Database error A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate
a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "Title::loadRestrictions". Database returned error "1146:
Table 'mmodomin_IC_20100819_115331.mwiki_page_restrictions' doesn't exist
(sql database location)"."

When I add in the command lines $wgDBadminuser and $wgDBadminpassword to the
appropriate LocalSettings.php it seems to produce an internal server 500
error when using web browsers to view the site.  I've gone to the php script
selector for my site and set it to use the PHP 5.0.0 new coding so the new
wikimedia software would be compatible.

Christopher Eicher wrote:

> Tried one last time to update my wiki software and it backfired on me.  It's
> giving me a Database Error now "
> Database error A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate
> a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:
>
> (SQL query hidden)
>
> from within function "Title::loadRestrictions". Database returned error "1146:
> Table 'mmodomin_IC_20100819_115331.mwiki_page_restrictions' doesn't exist
> (sql database location)"."
>
> When I add in the command lines $wgDBadminuser and $wgDBadminpassword to the
> appropriate LocalSettings.php it seems to produce an internal server 500
> error when using web browsers to view the site.  I've gone to the php script
> selector for my site and set it to use the PHP 5.0.0 new coding so the new
> wikimedia software would be compatible.

Did you run maintenance/update.php after upgrading the files?

Re: Seeking Assistance

Christopher Eicher
Can't keep getting the 403 forbidden error when I try to because the
.htaccess file

Christopher Eicher wrote:
> Can't keep getting the 403 forbidden error when I try to because the
> .htaccess file

It should be run from the shell.
Alternatively, move away LocalSettings.php and rerun the installer (with
the same database settings).

Re: Seeking Assistance

Christopher Eicher
Still can't get the thing to acknowledge logins for some reason and
reinstalled everything to the database.  Have no idea why it's
malfunctioning on me and the only clue I have is this right here:

Warning: Your session.save_path value (/var/php_sessions) appears to be
invalid or is not writable. PHP needs to be able to save data to this
location for correct session operation.

Only problem is I don't know how to access this location and make it
writeable if that is indeed the problem.  Did a search through all the php
coding and only came up with like 1 snipet of coding that's about it.