Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

James Forrester-2
On behalf of the Wikimania 2013[0] selection Jury[1], I can announce
that we have awarded the conference to Hong Kong. Congratulations to
the bidding team, and to the London team who also did a particularly
excellent job.

There were five official bids: Bristol, Naples and Surakarta, as well
as the two finalists of Hong Kong and London[2]. The Jury and the
bidding teams discussed them in three public IRC meetings in April. We
determined that Hong Kong and London were the strongest contenders,
and decided to focus on these two as the finalists. After further
e-mail enquiries, and considering evaluation by Wikimedia Foundation
staff, a final, private meeting was held to reach a final decision.

The Jury was pleased by the high quality in both the final bids, and
required over three hours' discussion to reach the final verdict. We
considered each bid according to the criteria[3], focussing on
following factors: Venue, Program, Geo-location & Logistics, Local
Opportunities, Accommodations, Team & Chapter, and Budget & Finances.
We found consensus that the Hong Kong bid was the stronger, especially
because of their strong advance planning; solid support by the local
Wikimedia Chapter, the community, local government, and a partner
organisation that is experienced in planning conferences; and their
good combination of venue and accommodation.

The Jury has confidence that the Hong Kong bidding team will pull off
a magnificent Wikimania, and we are pleased for our global community
to return to Asia once again. With a motivated group of volunteers who
have experience in organizing smaller Wikimedia activities, and a
partner with experience in organizing larger-scale events, they have
found a good mix to create a successful conference. The Jury did also
identify some weaker points in each the bids, and will be happy to
share those privately with the teams so that the Hong Kong team can
use that to their advantage in organizing Wikimania 2013, and the
other teams can use the feedback to improve their bids for a future
year.

We thank all candidate teams - the process is gruelling and requires a
very substantial time investment. They are all to be commended for
their submissions.

To use this soap-box for a moment, as Moderator I would like to remind
the community that we hope that this time was the last that we use
this ad-hoc process to decide on the Wikimania venue, and encourage
everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.
Please, do join in the discussions.

Yours,

James Forrester
Moderator, Wikimania 2013 Jury
For the Wikimania 2013 Jury

[0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013
[1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_jury
[2] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids
[3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_judging_criteria
[4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Nicholas Michael Bashour
Congratulations from Wikimedia DC and the Wikimania 2012 organizing team. We look forward to working with you through the transition from Wikimania 2012 :)

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia
Washington, DC, USA

Am 02.05.2012 um 19:52 schrieb James Forrester <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> everyone to engage with the discussion on Meta[4] about how we might
> select Wikimania 2014 and beyond in a more open, community-led way.
> Please, do join in the discussions.
>
> Yours,
>
> James Forrester
> Moderator, Wikimania 2013 Jury
> For the Wikimania 2013 Jury
>
> [0] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013
> [1] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_jury
> [2] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_bids
> [3] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2013_judging_criteria
> [4] - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Advisory_Group
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]]

Re: Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

phoebe ayers-3
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On behalf of the Wikimania 2013[0] selection Jury[1], I can announce
> that we have awarded the conference to Hong Kong. Congratulations to
> the bidding team, and to the London team who also did a particularly
> excellent job.

Congratulations to Hong Kong! And also congratulations to London, who
had an excellent bid and team. I hope that London will still consider
using all their bid preparation to host a great event in the coming
year, and I am already looking forward to a fabulous Hong Kong
Wikimania!

And, as always, thanks to all the bidders, participants, and jury
members -- a lot of work goes into the Wikimania process, and it is
greatly appreciated.

-- Phoebe

Re: Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

metasj
Congratulations to both the Hong Kong and London teams for tantalizing
bids.  I second the call for there to be some sort of London event
next year -- the energy that goes into a great bid should not go to
waste.  [and the # of people interested in attending such events
around the world keeps growing...]

I hope that reps from both of the finalist bid teams will make it to
Wikimania this year in DC.

SJ

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:52 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On behalf of the Wikimania 2013[0] selection Jury[1], I can announce
>> that we have awarded the conference to Hong Kong. Congratulations to
>> the bidding team, and to the London team who also did a particularly
>> excellent job.
>
> Congratulations to Hong Kong! And also congratulations to London, who
> had an excellent bid and team. I hope that London will still consider
> using all their bid preparation to host a great event in the coming
> year, and I am already looking forward to a fabulous Hong Kong
> Wikimania!
>
> And, as always, thanks to all the bidders, participants, and jury
> members -- a lot of work goes into the Wikimania process, and it is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> -- Phoebe

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Mateus Nobre-2
Awesome!!!

Congratulations!
Hope to be there.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

MateusNobre
Free knowledge, free software, free culture, open data.
Freedom, acessibility, autonomy, openess, independence, transparency. That's our way.
And yours?
+55 (84) 8896 - 1628

Re: Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

stephen wanjau-2
Congratulations to Hong Kong.

This year it will be in the West and the next in the East.

//Stephen

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Mateus Nobre <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Katie Chan
Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)

     - Heinrich Heine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
Halo Everyone

(Firstly, short statement on behalf the team)

Thank you for your congratulations, we honored that we are awarded to host the 9th global Wikimedia Conference.
our team will work as best as we can, to facilitate such conference, and meet your expectations.

and we are lOOking forward to seeing you here in Hong Kong, and hope you will enjoy the conference!

(then a longer part of personal thoughts)

I recently read a story on Facebook:
Once upon a time, a boy behave badly in school, with very poor results
and his teacher told his father about the situation.

Then the father tell his kids, if the boy can get 0 mark in the exam
then the boy can do whatever he wants

But the boy found his way to get 0 marks, but actually he learnt all the correct answer in order to write down the wrong answer
Then his father told him, actually the boy actually can finishes his school works with flying colors

<end of story>

Actually the Hong Kong bid was similar situations,
even you ask me about the possibility having a Wikimania in Hong Kong
I would tell you that's impossible.

Even when we start to "explore the possibility to have a Wikimania in HK"
I personally thinks that would be a process proving it is impossible

but more and more supports comes, more volunteers willing to helps.

Our fellow local team really fights bit and bit for support,
that's why they are so eager to get the bid,
because we all know that is not really easy to have such support
especially for group with almost every organizer is so young :)

Well, there is still a lot things to be done ahead
so better end my note here, and get back to work!

A BIG thank you to everyone involved in the bidding process, especially to all the bidding teams!

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)

   - Heinrich Heine

Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
http://about.me/jeromyu
UID: Jeromyu
(on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Butch Bustria
Hello HK Team,

In behalf of the Philippine Chapter (and your other Asian brothers and sister chapters), we congratulate you for having a successful bid.

We hope we could bring many Filipinos there as we are just two hours apart by plane.

We are also hoping the lessons from the Israel and DC hosting would help you bring a better and more colorful event in August 2013.

P.S. I hope you can open the scholarships as early as mid-December to enable you to have a better time screening all applicants and announce it in March so that participants would have a hassle free planning of their iterinaries and for some -- visa applications.

--
Roman "Butch" Bustria Jr.
Wikimedia Philippines Inc.

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel (Mobile): <a href="tel:%2B852%209279%201601" value="+85292791601" target="_blank">+852 9279 1601
Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Roman "Butch" Bustria Jr.
Wikimedia Philippines Inc.

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Florence Devouard-2
I am sure you guys will finish with flying colors :)
That's great news Yuyu. I look forward us moving again to Asia to meet you guys

Flo

On 5/3/12 12:34 PM, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) wrote:
[...]

Craig Franklin-2
A big congratulations to the Hong Kong team, it's great to see
Wikimania coming back to the Asia-Pacific region after a long break!
:-)

Commiserations to the London team, but also congratulations, it was an
exceptionally fine bid and I hope to see that conference take shape,
either as a separate event or as a future successful Wikimania bid!

Cheers,
Craig

On 4 May 2012 00:04, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sure you guys will finish with flying colors :)
> That's great news Yuyu. I look forward us moving again to Asia to meet you
> guys
>
> Flo
>

> On 5/3/12 12:34 PM, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu) wrote:
>
> Halo Everyone
>
> (Firstly, short statement on behalf the team)
>
> Thank you for your congratulations, we honored that we are awarded to host
> the 9th global Wikimedia Conference.
> our team will work as best as we can, to facilitate such conference, and
> meet your expectations.
>
> and we are lOOking forward to seeing you here in Hong Kong, and hope you
> will enjoy the conference!
>

> (then a longer part of personal thoughts)
>
> I recently read a story on Facebook:
> Once upon a time, a boy behave badly in school, with very poor results
> and his teacher told his father about the situation.
>
> Then the father tell his kids, if the boy can get 0 mark in the exam
> then the boy can do whatever he wants
>
> But the boy found his way to get 0 marks, but actually he learnt all the
> correct answer in order to write down the wrong answer
> Then his father told him, actually the boy actually can finishes his school
> works with flying colors
>
> <end of story>
>
> Actually the Hong Kong bid was similar situations,
> even you ask me about the possibility having a Wikimania in Hong Kong
> I would tell you that's impossible.
>
> Even when we start to "explore the possibility to have a Wikimania in HK"
> I personally thinks that would be a process proving it is impossible
>
> but more and more supports comes, more volunteers willing to helps.
>
> Our fellow local team really fights bit and bit for support,
> that's why they are so eager to get the bid,
> because we all know that is not really easy to have such support
> especially for group with almost every organizer is so young :)
>

> Well, there is still a lot things to be done ahead
> so better end my note here, and get back to work!
>
> A BIG thank you to everyone involved in the bidding process, especially to
> all the bidding teams!
>

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)
>>
>> --
>> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>>    - Heinrich Heine

> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://yuyu.be/txt
> http://about.me/jeromyu
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Béria Lima
You didn't saw Craig? They already lunch next year bid: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2014_bids/London
_____
Béria Lima

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

On 3 May 2012 18:37, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> Well, there is still a lot things to be done ahead
> so better end my note here, and get back to work!
>
> A BIG thank you to everyone involved in the bidding process, especially to
> all the bidding teams!
>

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)
>>
>> --
>> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>>    - Heinrich Heine

> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://yuyu.be/txt
> http://about.me/jeromyu
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): <a href="tel:%2B852%209279%201601" value="+85292791601">+852 9279 1601
> Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

HJ Mitchell
Oh, I wouldn't call it a bid just yet. We're still in the very early stages.

Harry

> [...]

> especially for group with almost every organizer is so young :)
>

> Well, there is still a lot things to be done ahead
> so better end my note here, and get back to work!
>
> A BIG thank you to everyone involved in the bidding process, especially to
> all the bidding teams!
>

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Congratulation Hong Kong! I'll be there. :)
>>
>> --
>> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>>    - Heinrich Heine

> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://yuyu.be/txt
> http://about.me/jeromyu
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2013: Hong Kong

Joseph Fox
Please do bid again though, since I'd be able to get to London on my own expense!

Joe