Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

James Forrester-2
Dear Wikimedians,

On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
also put forward a solid effort.

We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
and lower-cost options for attendees.

The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.

We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
out clearer guidelines on these principles.

The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
and hard work.

Yours,

James Forrester
Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email]

Re: Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan
On behalf of the Wikimania Hong Kong team
I would like to express our sincere congratulations
and our willingness to help as much as we can
Especially sharing our experience

The same offer also open to the teams who are willing to bid wikimania in the future.

自吾之埃拍
Sent from my iPad

On 1 May, 2013, at 19:10, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
> also put forward a solid effort.
>
> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
> and lower-cost options for attendees.
>
> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
>
> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
>
> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
> and hard work.
>
> Yours,
>
> James Forrester
> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [hidden email]
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal capacity)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Katie Chan-2
Congratulations to everyone who's been involved with the London bid.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in London next year!

On 1 May 2013 18:10, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Katie Chan
Volunteer Support Organiser
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0990
+44 (0) 7885 980 534

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Ivan Martínez
It will be a wonderful Wikimania in London!
Congratulations to the team.

2013/5/1 Katie Chan <[hidden email]>
Congratulations to everyone who's been involved with the London bid.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in London next year!

On 1 May <a href="tel:2013" value="+9722013" target="_blank">2013 18:10, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Wikimedians,

On behalf of the Wikimania <a href="tel:2014" value="+9722014" target="_blank">2014 selection Jury, after review and
[...]

Moderator, Wikimania <a href="tel:2014" value="+9722014" target="_blank">2014 Jury
For the Wikimania <a href="tel:2014" value="+9722014" target="_blank">2014 Jury
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email]
[[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal capacity)

Katie Chan
Volunteer Support Organiser
Wikimedia UK

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, <a href="tel:56-64" value="+9725664" target="_blank">56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Presidente
Wikimedia México A.C.
wikimedia.mx

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Karthik Nadar
Would love to attend my first Wikimania in London ;)

Congratulations London team :)

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Ivan Martínez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks and regards,
Karthik Nadar.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

derfussi
Congratulations to the London Team. Really look Forward to it.

Let’s start an editathon next year and improve the London articles on all Wikivoyage language versions.

Cheers
Fussi

Would love to attend my first Wikimania in London ;)

Congratulations London team :)

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Ivan Martínez <[hidden email]> wrote:
It will be a wonderful Wikimania in London!
Congratulations to the team.

2013/5/1 Katie Chan <[hidden email]>
Congratulations to everyone who's been involved with the London bid.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in London next year!

On 1 May <a title="tel:2013" href="tel:2013" target="_parent">2013 18:10, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Wikimedians,

On behalf of the Wikimania <a title="tel:2014" href="tel:2014" target="_parent">2014 selection Jury, after review and
[...]

Moderator, Wikimania <a title="tel:2014" href="tel:2014" target="_parent">2014 Jury
For the Wikimania <a title="tel:2014" href="tel:2014" target="_parent">2014 Jury
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email]
[[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal capacity)

Katie Chan
Volunteer Support Organiser
Wikimedia UK
<a title="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%2020%207065%200990" href="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%2020%207065%200990" target="_parent">+44 (0) 20 7065 0990
<a title="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%207885%20980%20534" href="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%207885%20980%20534" target="_parent">+44 (0) 7885 980 534

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, <a title="tel:56-64" href="tel:56-64" target="_parent">56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Presidente
Wikimedia México A.C.
wikimedia.mx

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo.

Thanks and regards,
Karthik Nadar.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Fhaidel Dominguez

Hosting a Wikimania must not be an easy challange for any chapter. Dealing with a limited budget for such a global event is quite hard. So, we wish the best for London in the organization for 2014 and we also thank to Tanzania for trying to take the movement core to Arusha.

In the same way, we wish the best success to HK this year.

On behalf of WMVE, be great!!

Regards,

Fhaidel Dominguez
Spokesperson
Wikimedia Venezuela
www.wikimedia.org.ve
@wikimedia_ve

El 01/05/2013 13:50, "Katie Chan" <[hidden email]> escribió:
[...]

Nicholas Michael Bashour
Congrats to the London team :)

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 01.05.2013 um 19:10 schrieb James Forrester <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
> also put forward a solid effort.
>
> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
> and lower-cost options for attendees.
>
> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
>
> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
>
> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
> and hard work.
>
> Yours,
>
> James Forrester
> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
> --
> James D. Forrester
> [hidden email]
> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal capacity)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Patricio Lorente
Congratulations, London! See you there!

                               Patricio

2013/5/1 Dhaval S. Vyas <[hidden email]>:

> Congratulations UK! So happy with the news, after all wikimania is coming at
> our doorstep...
>

> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Congratulations to everyone who's been involved with the London bid.
>>
>> Looking forward to seeing many of you in London next year!
>>

>> On 1 May 2013 18:10, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Wikimedians,
>>>
>>> On behalf of the Wikimania 2014 selection Jury, after review and
>>> evaluation of the two final bids, we have awarded the conference to
>>> London. Congratulations to the London team, and to the Arusha team who
>>> also put forward a solid effort.
>>>
>>> We were concerned this year to see that both bidding teams put forward
>>> proposals which were costly and complicated, in contrast to the
>>> Wikimania tradition. The Jury briefly considered re-opening the bid
>>> for other teams, and asked both bids to present a simpler core budget
>>> and lower-cost options for attendees.
>>>
>>> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
>>> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, and have committed to finding
>>> ways to reduce the cost for community attendees.
>>>
>>> We encourage future bidding teams to not give up their dreams, to keep
>>> aiming for the stars, but at the same time, to not forget the spirit
>>> of Wikimedia: a volunteer movement that makes creative use of limited
>>> resources. We look forward to the proposed Wikimania Committee setting
>>> out clearer guidelines on these principles.
>>>
>>> The process to bid for hosting Wikimania requires a substantial time
>>> investment, and we thank both candidate teams for their submissions
>>> and hard work.
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>>
>>> James Forrester
>>> Moderator, Wikimania 2014 Jury
>>> For the Wikimania 2014 Jury
>>> --
>>> James D. Forrester
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal
>>> capacity)

>> --
>> Katie Chan
>> Volunteer Support Organiser
>> Wikimedia UK
>> +44 (0) 20 7065 0990
>> +44 (0) 7885 980 534
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
>> Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
>> Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
>> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
>> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
>> Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
>> Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
>> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Selection of winning bid for Wikimania 2014: London

Federico Leva (Nemo)
James Forrester, 01/05/2013 19:10:
> The London team took our comments to heart and decreased their core
> budget to 20% of their initial proposal, [...]

£100,000 for videos seems indeed quite expensive, 0 on the other hand
sounds risky. I suppose the team will get in touch with FOSDEM people
(or others with experience) to learn how they do?

Nemo