Semantic Forms

Mark A. Hershberger-4

I've been asked to provide some training on Semantic Forms for a wiki that uses them (that I didn't set up, but I maintain).

What resources exist for this?

For instance, right now, there are some forms that I think are overly complex and would benefit from a "wizard" like interface.  Has anyone done this?

Is there an outline of the use cases that Semantic Forms is especially suited for?

What other resources exist for the complete newbie? (not quite me, but almost)

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger
NicheWork LLC

Re: Semantic Forms

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Mark,

See here for some reference materials that cover Semantic Forms and other
extensions:

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMW_reference

Although I should note that the Semantic Forms material in the book
"Working with MediaWiki" is not that different from the content found in
the SF documentation:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Forms

(It's the one part of the book whose content is copied from elsewhere.)

As for a wizard-type interface in the form - the closest you can come to
that is by splitting the form into tabs, via the Header Tabs extension:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Header_Tabs

-Yaron

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've been asked to provide some training on Semantic Forms for a wiki that
> uses them (that I didn't set up, but I maintain).
>
> What resources exist for this?
>
> For instance, right now, there are some forms that I think are overly
> complex and would benefit from a "wizard" like interface.  Has anyone done
> this?
>
> Is there an outline of the use cases that Semantic Forms is especially
> suited for?
>
> What other resources exist for the complete newbie? (not quite me, but
> almost)
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark A. Hershberger
> NicheWork LLC
> 717-271-1084

Re: Semantic Forms

planetenxin
Hi Mark,

why not using Yaron's book as training material...
It is the best and most complete guide through SMW eco system.

/Alexander

Am 02.02.2015 um 22:05 schrieb Mark A. Hershberger:

> I've been asked to provide some training on Semantic Forms for a wiki that uses them (that I didn't set up, but I maintain).
>
> What resources exist for this?
>
> For instance, right now, there are some forms that I think are overly complex and would benefit from a "wizard" like interface.  Has anyone done this?
>
> Is there an outline of the use cases that Semantic Forms is especially suited for?
>
> What other resources exist for the complete newbie? (not quite me, but almost)
>
> Mark.

Re: Semantic Forms

Fannon
Hello Mark,

I've started with Yarons book to, and it's a good read, giving a nice
overall introduction.

If you want to do deeper (and more up to date), you'll want to read the
documentation on mediawiki and keep looking into this mailling list ;)

Greets,
Simon

> I've been asked to provide some training on Semantic Forms for a wiki that
> uses them (that I didn't set up, but I maintain).
>
> What resources exist for this?
>
> For instance, right now, there are some forms that I think are overly
> complex and would benefit from a "wizard" like interface.  Has anyone done
> this?
>
> Is there an outline of the use cases that Semantic Forms is especially
> suited for?
>
> What other resources exist for the complete newbie? (not quite me, but
> almost)
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark A. Hershberger
> NicheWork LLC
> 717-271-1084

Re: Semantic Forms

Phil Legault
Yes Yaron's book is a very good start

why not using Yaron's book as training material...
It is the best and most complete guide through SMW eco system.

/Alexander

Am 02.02.2015 um 22:05 schrieb Mark A. Hershberger:

> I've been asked to provide some training on Semantic Forms for a wiki that uses them (that I didn't set up, but I maintain).
>
> What resources exist for this?
>
> For instance, right now, there are some forms that I think are overly complex and would benefit from a "wizard" like interface.  Has anyone done this?
>
> Is there an outline of the use cases that Semantic Forms is especially suited for?
>
> What other resources exist for the complete newbie? (not quite me, but
> almost)
>
> Mark.

semantic::apps by gesinn.it
Business Applications with Semantic Mediawiki.
http://semantic-apps.com

Dive into the World of Parallel Programming. The Go Parallel Website, sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

Re: Semantic Forms

chris tharp-2
Hi Mark,

First, as everyone else has mentioned, get Yaron's book.

Second, remember the Semantic Form references (if that's right word) the template structure of the page you're designing. But, and this is the important part, you can add in other helpful info into the form that is not printed to the page being created. So you could have tip messages next to some inputs, you could have "helper" templates with greater information inserted into the form at points you think would be helpful and you could even add a helper video. I have done all the things listed here and more. Not sure if that's a "wizard", but I think it's very helpful to the end user. (I'm currently designing a wiki, in the Foreground skin, that has helper modals inside the Semantic Forms)

MEDIAWIKI allows for a lot of freedom with template design, and Semantic Forms allows to you to make it very easy for the end user to print those templates to a page. There are no end to the number of cases one could use SF since any time a page uses a template it's ideal for SF.

All the best to you

Sent from my iPad