Semantic MediaWiki 2.4 released!

Jeroen De Dauw-2
Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce the immediate availability of the fifth feature
release in the Semantic MediaWiki 2.x series.

Semantic MediaWiki 2.4 is a feature release that adds many new features,
brings numerous enhancements and fixes a good amount of bugs. It does not
contain any breaking changes, so upgrading is both easy and recommended.

## Highlights

### Support for multiple languages

Added support for multilingual content
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Localization_and_multilingual_content>.
This includes the introduction of the monolongual text datatype
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Type_Monolingual_text>,
a new special
property to describe properties
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Has_property_description>
and the new Semantic Interlanguage Links extension
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Interlanguage_Links>
.

### Pattern based constraints

Added support for constraint specification using regular expressions
(#1417). The use of regular expressions and thus the Allows pattern
property to express a constraint assignment is restricted to users with the
smw-patternedit
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Permissions_and_user_rights>
right.

### Positional units

It is now possible to specify which position a custom unit
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Custom_units> should
have in Corresponds
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Corresponds_to>
annotations. This means you can specify [[Corresponds to::€ 1]]
instead of [[Corresponds
to::1 €]]. You can find a small example
<http://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Issue/1329_%28Positional_unit_preference%29>
on the Sandbox.

### Display precision

You can now specify the precision used for display of numeric properties
(i.e. those of type Number, Quantity, Temperature). This is done using
the Display
precision of
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Display_precision_of>
property. You can override this display precision per #ask query, by using
-p<digit>. You can view the examples
<https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1335>.

### Enhanced date and time formatting

Extended date and time formatting
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Type_Date> by supporting
PHP's DateTime format rules.

### Display Title storage

MediaWiki's {{DISPLAYTITLE:...}} can now be stored as the Display title of
<https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Display_title_of>
special property, so it can be used in queries.

## Compatibility changes

Support was added for MediaWiki 1.26 and MediaWiki 1.27. SMW 2.3 has know
issues with these versions of MediaWiki, so you are highly encouraged to
upgrade SMW if you plan to use one of them. While SMW 2.3 already had beta
support for PHP 7, this release fully supports it.

This release does not drop support for anything. It is however the last
release to support PHP older than 5.5 and MediaWiki older than 1.25.

For more information, see the compatibility overview
<https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/docs/COMPATIBILITY.md>
.

## New features and enhancements

   - #498 <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/498>
   Extended rebuildData.php to remove outdated entity references (see
   PropertyTableIdReferenceDisposer)
   - #1243
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1243> Made
   failed queries discoverable
   - #1246
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1246> Added
   support for ~/!~ on single value queries (example: {{#ask: [[~Foo/*]] }})
   - #1267
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1267> Added
   the browseByProperty API module to fetch a property list or individual
   properties via the WebAPI
   - #1268
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1268>
   Restored compliance with MediaWiki's 1.26/1.27 WebAPI interface to ensure
   continued support for the ask and askargs output serialization
   - #1257
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1257>
   Changed import of recursive annotations (#1068) from the format to a query
   level using the import-annotation parameter
   - #1291
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1291> Added
   support for range queries such as [[>AAA]] [[<AAD]]
   - #1293
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1293> Added
   _ERRC and _ERRT as pre-defined properties to aid error analysis
   - #1299
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1299> Added
   dot named identifier restriction for subobject names containing a dot (
   fooba.bar reserved for extensions)
   - #1313
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1313> Added
   usage count information to property pages
   - #1321
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1321> Added
   $smwgSparqlRepositoryConnectorForcedHttpVersion
   <https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:$smwgSparqlRepositoryConnectorForcedHttpVersion>
   setting to force a specific HTTP version in case of a #1306 cURL issue
   - #1290
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1290> Added
   support for properties and prinrequests to be forwarded to a redirect
   target if one exists
   - #1329
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1329> Added
   positional preference for units when declared in Corresponds to (¥ 500
   vs 500 JPY)
   - #1350
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1350>
   Enlarged input field on special page "Browse"
   - #1335
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1335> Added
   possibility to specify a display precision for a numeric datatype by
   either denoting a Display precision of
   <https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Display_precision_of>
   or using -p<number of digits> as #ask printout option
   - #1344
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1344> Added
   MonolingualTextValue and LanguageCodeValue
   - #1361
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1361> Added
   --with-maintenance-log option to rebuildData.php,
   rebuildPropertyStatistics.php, and rebuildConceptCache.php
   - #1381
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1381> Added
   localizable context help for properties using the predefined property Has
   property description (which is specified as MonolingualText type)
   - #1389
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1389> Added
   free date/time formatting support using the -F[ ... ] option
   - #1391
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1391> Made
   subobject directly browsable from/in the Factbox
   - #1396
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1396>
   Explicitly annotated years now have an AC/CE era indication
   - #1397
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1397> Added
   support for microseconds in DITime
   - #1401
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1401> Added
   support for parsing 年/月/日 date format in DITime
   - #1407
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1407> Added
   quick result download links to Special:Ask
   - #1410
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1410> Added
   support for {{DISPLAYTITLE:title}} caption using the Display title of
   <https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Display_title_of>
   property
   - #1417
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1417>
Added Allows
   pattern
   <https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Allows_pattern>
   property to define a value constraint using regular expressions and the
   required smw-patterneditright to add those expressions
   - #1433
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1433> Added
   --ignore-exceptions and exception-log options to rebuildData.php while
   option -v is showing additional information about the processed entities
   - #1440
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1440> Added
   various changes to accommodate MW 1.27
   - #1463
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1463> Added
   support for the Has uniqueness constraint
   <https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Special_property_Has_uniqueness_constraint>
   property trait
   - #1474
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1474> Added
   a search link for zero properties to the Special:Properties
   - #1483
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1483> Added
   statistics about outdated entities
   <https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Outdated_entities> to the
   Special:Statistics
   - #1542
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1542>
   Extended the query parser to support conditions with object values that
   contain = (#640)
   - #1545
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1545> Added
   #LOCL as TimeValue output format
   - #1570
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1570>
Added "Object
   ID disposal"
   <https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Object_ID_disposal> to
   Special:SMWAdmin
   - #1572
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1572>
   Extended the query parser to support property chaining on subtypes
   - #1580
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1580> Added
   #LOCL as BooleanValue output format
   - #1591
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1591> Added
   #LOCL as NumberValue output format
   - #1626
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1626> Added
   $GLOBALS['smwgQueryDependencyAffiliatePropertyDetectionlist'] to monitor
   affiliate properties required for initiating a query dependency update

## Bug fixes

   - #541 <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/541>
   Fixed duplicate column when "further results ..." are redirected to
   Special:Ask
   - #753 <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/753>
   Fixed number parsing of non-zero lead decimal numbers (.1 vs 0.1) / (T40476)
   - #1244
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1244> Find
   redirect for a property when specified as a record field (in
   PropertyListValue)
   - #1248
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1248> Fixed
   misplaced replacement of _ in the ImportValueParser
   - #1270
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1270> Fixed
   printout display of inverse properties
   - #1272
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1272> Fixed
   serialization of _rec type in the QueryResultSerializer
   - #1275
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1275> Fixed
   export of record type data when embedded in a subobject
   - #1286
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1286> Fixed
   support for sorting by category
   - #1287
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1287> Fixed
   exception for when $smwgFixedProperties contains property keys with
   spaces
   - #1289
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1289> Fixed
   redirect statement for resources matched to an import vocabulary (SPARQL
   query)
   - #1301
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1301> Fixed
   count query result discrepancy (to exclude redirect and deleted entities)
   - #1314
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1314> Fixed
   hidden annotation copy of [[ :: ]] text values when embedded in query
   results
   - #1318
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1318> Fixed
   possible null object in AskParserFunction when creating a QueryProfile
   - #1357
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1357> Fixed
   |+align=... usage for format=table
   - #1358
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1358> Fixed
   recognition of multi-byte boolean value
   - #1348
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1348> Fixed
   single year detection in TimeValue
   - #1414
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1414> Fixed
   exception caused by a missing message page on a Service link annotation
   - #1449
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1449> Fixed
   mapping of imported URI to an internal DataItem
   - #1450
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1450> Fixed
   export of concept
   - #1453
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1453> Fixed
   off/on display in text value
   - #1459
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1459> Fixed
   column display regression in CategoryResultPrinter for subobjects
   - #1466
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1466> Fixed
   remote resource path detection that appeared in connection with a
   non-default extension setup
   - #1473
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1473> Fixed
   exception caused by ParameterInput due to "HTML attribute value can not
   contain a list of values"
   - #1477
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1477> Fixed
   query result from SPARQLStore to filter redirects natively
   - #1489
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1489> Fixed
   fatal error in RdfResultPrinter due to namespace mismatch
   - #1496
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1496> Fixed
   concept handling for postgres
   - #1513
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1513> Fixed
   rendering of text properties containing wikitext lists
   - #1526
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1526> Fixed
   _ handling for value strings submitted to the Special:SearchByProperty
   - #1550
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1550> Fixed
   SPARQLStore XML response parsing for strings that contain UTF-8
   characters
   - #1562
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1562> Fixed
   fatal error in FeedResultPrinter due to usage of an interwiki assignment
   - #1568
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1568> Fixed
   usage of invalid characters/tags in property name
   - #1594
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1594> Fixed
   handling of numbers with scientific notation in Special:SearchByProperty
   - #1597
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1597> Fixed
   possible ID collision in DependencyLinksTableUpdater
   - #1598
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1598> Fixed
   content language setting for InfoLinks
   - #1589
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1589> Fixed
   display precision constraint during condition building
   - #1608
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1608> Fixed
   that a #info without a message will create an empty tooltip or when used
   as <info /> causing a failure
   - #1610
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1610> Fixed
   a potential exception in the postgres implementation when creating
   temporary tables
   - #1628
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1628> Fixed
   exception when NumberValue tries to use a NULL as numeric value.
   - #1638
   <https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/pull/1638> Fixed
   possible invalid property in case the label contains [

## Contributors ##

   - James Hong Kong
   - Jeroen De Dauw
   - Karsten Hoffmeyer
   - Felipe de Jong
   - Florian Schmidt
   - Niklas Laxström
   - Ahmad Gharbeia
   - Stephan Gambke
   - Amir E. Aharoni
   - Siebrand Mazeland
   - Cindy Cicalese
   - Hangya
   - Sébastien Beyou
   - Aaron Schulz
   - Jaider Andrade Ferreira
   - Kunal Mehta
   - Ori Livneh
   - Peter Grassberger
   - Reedy
   - Vitaliy Filippov
   - Wolfgang Fahl
   - Alexander Gesinn
   - TranslateWiki.net translators

The full list of changes be viewed at [0]. The installation procedure [1]
has not changed since 1.9.0. To upgrade, you will need to get the new
version of SMW, follow the usual upgrading procedure of running MediaWikis
update.php, and running SMWs refresh data script [2]. There is a short
video showing an upgrade from SMW 2.1.3 to 2.2 at [3]. We already started
work on SMW 2.5 and welcome your contributions [4].

- The SMW development team

[0] https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMW_2.4
[1] https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Installation
[2] https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Installation#Upgrading
[3] https://vimeo.com/127356533
[4]
https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Re: Semantic MediaWiki 2.4 released!

planetenxin
\o/

a BIG hurray and many thanks to all the contributors!

... we are already at 2.4.1 right?

Re: Semantic MediaWiki 2.4 released!

Krabina Bernhard
great, thank you to all the contributors. What a great team you are!

cheers,
Bernhard

Tobias Oetterer-2
+1

Thank you all!

Regards,
Tobias Oetterer

--
If this email is rather brief, it is not meant to be impolite but to respect your time.
http://five.sentenc.es

University of Paderborn
Zentrum IMT
Warburger Straße 100
33098 Paderborn

Office: N5.341
Phone: 05251/60-2194
> [...]

>   - Hangya
>   - Sébastien Beyou
>   - Aaron Schulz
>   - Jaider Andrade Ferreira
>   - Kunal Mehta
>   - Ori Livneh
>   - Peter Grassberger
>   - Reedy
>   - Vitaliy Filippov
>   - Wolfgang Fahl
>   - Alexander Gesinn
>   - TranslateWiki.net translators
>

> The full list of changes be viewed at [0]. The installation procedure
> [1] has not changed since 1.9.0. To upgrade, you will need to get the
> new version of SMW, follow the usual upgrading procedure of running
> MediaWikis update.php, and running SMWs refresh data script [2]. There
> is a short video showing an upgrade from SMW 2.1.3 to 2.2 at [3]. We
> already started work on SMW 2.5 and welcome your contributions [4].

What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow, J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity planning reports.http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

Re: Semantic MediaWiki 2.4 released!

Tiago Ferreira
+1

Many thanks to those putting their effort on this.