(Semantic) Text annotation

Krabina Bernhard
Dear all,

I think that besides the great management of data inside a wiki, we should not forget that text annotation (not in the editor, but on the resulting wiki pages) is a good use case for many mediawiki installations.

There is an unfortunately abandoned extension Semantic Text Annotator: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Text_Annotator
The author has sent me a PDF document (in German) describing his approach and his achievements. It worked for some time, but does not work in MW 1.27.

There is also a different approach, the Annotator.js library: http://annotatorjs.org/

Is anybody of the developers interested in
- taking over Semantic Text Annotator extension or
- developing an extension for Annotator.js - at best including semantifying the annotations

To the users/organisations: is anybody interested in this and can put up some funding?

cheers,
Bernhard

Re: (Semantic) Text annotation

Weller, Tobias (AIFB)
Hey Bernhard,

I can do that and take over the Semantic Text Annotator extension.
During the developing phase, I'll also make sure that it might also be extensible to work with the Semantic Image Annotator[1]. So basically I'll take over both.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have results.

Cheers
Tobi

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Image_Annotator