Send a photographer to Mecca

Pyb

Send a photographer to Mecca

Pyb
Hi,

First of all, my apology for my email in english.

It would be great to send an experienced photographer to cover the Hajj
2018 (or 2019).

There is a lot of pictures of the Hajj on Wikimedia Commons [1] but almost
nothing of quality.

I would be happy to work on this project. I can elaborate the budget, find
some funds for the project (I think that some European chapters would be
happy to fund that), obtain a media accreditation, etc.. The number of
accreditations is very limited and Saudi Arabia probably censored a lot of
articles of Wikipedia, but let's try! Some wikimedians send Wikipedia on
the Moon [2], we could try to send someone to Mecca ;)

Pyb
Wikimedia France

[1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Hajj_by_year
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_to_the_Moon

Re: Send a photographer to Mecca

Mounir Touzri
hi
it is a good idea, in Saudi Arabia there are a lot of wikipedia users, and
I think they will be engaged in this project, but I think it not easy to
take photos during the Hajj with a professional camera

[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, my apology for my email in english.
>
> It would be great to send an experienced photographer to cover the Hajj
> 2018 (or 2019).
>
> There is a lot of pictures of the Hajj on Wikimedia Commons [1] but almost
> nothing of quality.
>
> I would be happy to work on this project. I can elaborate the budget, find
> some funds for the project (I think that some European chapters would be
> happy to fund that), obtain a media accreditation, etc.. The number of
> accreditations is very limited and Saudi Arabia probably censored a lot of
> articles of Wikipedia, but let's try! Some wikimedians send Wikipedia on
> the Moon [2], we could try to send someone to Mecca ;)
>
> Pyb
> Wikimedia France
>
> [1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Hajj_by_year
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_to_the_Moon

Amicalement
Mounir Touzri
[hidden email]
+216 29 774 346
Member Wikimedia TN user group

Re: Send a photographer to Mecca

Abbad Diraneyya
Hi,

I get to visit Mecca a few times each year and I might be there at the time of Al-Hajj. However, it's not that simple to hand someone a camera and ask him to go to Hajj; it's a trip so rough that you only do it once or twice in a lifetime.

Going to Hajj implies going through a very rough time. It means spending half a day only to get there, sleeping in the street at night, walking at least a dozen kilometers per day, in addition to countless other hardships and even safety risks that you will have to endure for nearly five consecutive days. If there is a budget for such a project, you'll have to at least include a reasonable fee for the photographer himself, as well as to consider the legal possibility or permission of taking photos there.

I do not mean to be negative, but this and more should be taken into account if you're seriously willing to consider this project.

Best,

Abbad.

________________________________

[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, my apology for my email in english.
>
> It would be great to send an experienced photographer to cover the Hajj
> 2018 (or 2019).
>
> There is a lot of pictures of the Hajj on Wikimedia Commons [1] but almost
> nothing of quality.
>
> I would be happy to work on this project. I can elaborate the budget, find
> some funds for the project (I think that some European chapters would be
> happy to fund that), obtain a media accreditation, etc.. The number of
> accreditations is very limited and Saudi Arabia probably censored a lot of
> articles of Wikipedia, but let's try! Some wikimedians send Wikipedia on
> the Moon [2], we could try to send someone to Mecca ;)
>
> Pyb
> Wikimedia France
>
> [1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Hajj_by_year
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_to_the_Moon
Wikipedia to the Moon - Meta - Wikimedia<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_to_the_Moon>
meta.wikimedia.org
A group of science enthusiasts from Berlin, Germany, are planning to send their own custom-built rover to the Moon. And they want to take Wikipedia with them. In the ...

[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Tulunid_Emirate_868_-_905_%28AD%29-ar.PNG]<https://ar.wikipedia.org/>

ويكيبيديا، الموسوعة الحرة<https://ar.wikipedia.org/>
ar.wikipedia.org

> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikiar-l
lists.wikimedia.org
Would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest? No Yes . You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to prevent others from ...