Sep11 Wiki/Partnership Message Removal/Mr. Wales Concerns

Sep11 Wiki/Partnership Message Removal/Mr. Wales Concerns

jmerkey-3
I located a reference to a "partnership" on hosting the
sep11.wikipedia.org website on one of my personal websites which
referred to this project where
WMG took over the hosting and server costs for the sep11.wikipedia.org
domain for the Foundation.   This appears to be the source of the
confusion on the part of folks about this topic.

Mr. Wales has expressed concerns about our hosting of the
sep11.wikipedia.org domain as request by Erik Moeller since
it may create the impression of a "partnership" between WMF and WMG,
which should be avoided.

I am going to leave the site active for now, but I would suggest peraps
wikia.com take over this task to avoid remove any discomfort on
the part of Mr. Wales, or at a minimum, the stakeholders contact Wales
and find out what his beef is with the decision.

I would ask that Erik Moeller check with Mr. Wales on whether we should
continue to host this site or have wikia.com or one of
the chapters take it over.

Thanks

Jeff

Re: Sep11 Wiki/Partnership Message Removal/Mr. Wales Concerns

jmerkey-3

Here's the stats on the sep11.wikipedia.org site since Dec 1 (it's very
active)

Jeff

Summary

*Reported period* Month Dec 2006
*First visit* 01 Dec 2006 - 00:00
*Last visit* 19 Dec 2006 - 04:50
        Unique visitors Number of visits Pages Hits Bandwidth
Viewed traffic * *6707*
        *8360*
(1.24 visits/visitor) *50021*
(5.98 pages/visit) *125657*
(15.03 hits/visit) *899.37 MB*
(110.16 KB/visit)
Not viewed traffic *
        *19653* *23500* *44.39 MB*

* Not viewed traffic includes traffic generated by robots, worms, or
replies with special HTTP status codes.

Jeffrey V. Merkey wrote:

>I located a reference to a "partnership" on hosting the
>sep11.wikipedia.org website on one of my personal websites which
>referred to this project where
>WMG took over the hosting and server costs for the sep11.wikipedia.org
>domain for the Foundation.   This appears to be the source of the
>confusion on the part of folks about this topic.
>
>Mr. Wales has expressed concerns about our hosting of the
>sep11.wikipedia.org domain as request by Erik Moeller since
>it may create the impression of a "partnership" between WMF and WMG,
>which should be avoided.
>
>I am going to leave the site active for now, but I would suggest peraps
>wikia.com take over this task to avoid remove any discomfort on
>the part of Mr. Wales, or at a minimum, the stakeholders contact Wales
>and find out what his beef is with the decision.
>
>I would ask that Erik Moeller check with Mr. Wales on whether we should
>continue to host this site or have wikia.com or one of
>the chapters take it over.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jeff

Re: Sep11 Wiki/Partnership Message Removal/Mr. Wales Concerns

Erik Moeller-4
On 12/19/06, Jeffrey V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I located a reference to a "partnership" on hosting the
> sep11.wikipedia.org website on one of my personal websites which
> referred to this project where
> WMG took over the hosting and server costs for the sep11.wikipedia.org
> domain for the Foundation.   This appears to be the source of the
> confusion on the part of folks about this topic.

Perhaps it's just a matter of phrasing things correctly. Could you
send me, off-list, a copy of the text that you used? We'll then
discuss on the Board level what exactly should be done.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Erik Moeller wrote:

>On 12/19/06, Jeffrey V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>I located a reference to a "partnership" on hosting the
>>sep11.wikipedia.org website on one of my personal websites which
>>referred to this project where
>>WMG took over the hosting and server costs for the sep11.wikipedia.org
>>domain for the Foundation.   This appears to be the source of the
>>confusion on the part of folks about this topic.
>>

>Perhaps it's just a matter of phrasing things correctly. Could you
>send me, off-list, a copy of the text that you used? We'll then
>discuss on the Board level what exactly should be done.

I removed the offending text, so Erik, I think its ok, provided Jimbo is
comfortable. At present,
there is no text or description of any kind discussing the hosting of
the site. You can simply leave it up
and just check with Jimbo if he is comfortable. I can email him
directly, but since this came through you
you should probably handle it.

Jeff

Re: Sep11 Wiki/Partnership Message Removal/Mr. Wales Concerns

Anthony DiPierro
On 12/19/06, Jeffrey V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I located a reference to a "partnership" on hosting the
> sep11.wikipedia.org website on one of my personal websites which
> referred to this project where
> WMG took over the hosting and server costs for the sep11.wikipedia.org
> domain for the Foundation.   This appears to be the source of the
> confusion on the part of folks about this topic.
>
> Mr. Wales has expressed concerns about our hosting of the
> sep11.wikipedia.org domain as request by Erik Moeller since
> it may create the impression of a "partnership" between WMF and WMG,
> which should be avoided.
>
> I am going to leave the site active for now, but I would suggest peraps
> wikia.com take over this task to avoid remove any discomfort on
> the part of Mr. Wales, or at a minimum, the stakeholders contact Wales
> and find out what his beef is with the decision.

Moving the site to wikia.com wouldn't solve the problem, it'd just
shift the problem from giving the impression of a "partnership" with
one company to another.

> I would ask that Erik Moeller check with Mr. Wales on whether we should
> continue to host this site or have wikia.com or one of
> the chapters take it over.

When I initially heard of the plan I didn't realize that the
sep11.wikipedia.org domain name was going to be redirected to
sep11memories.org.  That's the only part that I'd criticise.

sep11.wikipedia.org should be a simple page that says that the project
is no longer a Wikimedia project.  A link from there to
sep11memories.org (and/or any other appropriate sites) saying that the
content is still available there would be appropriate too, IMO.  But
this should be a click-through link, not an automatic redirect.

Anthony

Anthony wrote:

>When I initially heard of the plan I didn't realize that the
>sep11.wikipedia.org domain name was going to be redirected to
>sep11memories.org.  That's the only part that I'd criticise.
>
>sep11.wikipedia.org should be a simple page that says that the project
>is no longer a Wikimedia project.  A link from there to
>sep11memories.org (and/or any other appropriate sites) saying that the
>content is still available there would be appropriate too, IMO.  But
>this should be a click-through link, not an automatic redirect.
>
>Anthony

I think this may be a source of confusion. Let Erik make the call. I am
happy to host the site,
but lets get Wales confortable with it.

Jeff