Servers down?

Elias Friedman
I can view articles, and even use the edit window's preview function, but I
can't save any changes.

--
Elias Friedman A.S., EMT-P
President Congregation Knesseth Israel

[hidden email]
http://elipongo.blogspot.com/

Re: Servers down?

David Gerard-2
On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can view articles, and even use the edit window's preview function, but I
> can't save any changes.

Obviously the devs are trying the simplest and most obvious
fundraising technique ;-)

Ahh, stuff appears to be b0rken. I get database errors on diffs. I
assume all are scrambling to action as we write.

- d.

Re: Servers down?

Andrew Gray
On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can view articles, and even use the edit window's preview function, but I
> can't save any changes.

Large page deleted, backend servers snarled up a bit. I think it's at
the "solved but choking it all down" stage now, but you may not want
to quote that :-)

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Servers down?

George William Herbert
I just got a DB error on trying to log in:
"User::invalidateCache". MySQL returned error "1114: The table 'user'
is full (10.0.0.235)".

Not good...

On Jan 16, 2008 2:43 PM, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I can view articles, and even use the edit window's preview function, but I
> > can't save any changes.
>
> Large page deleted, backend servers snarled up a bit. I think it's at
> the "solved but choking it all down" stage now, but you may not want
> to quote that :-)
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

-george william herbert

Re: Servers down?

Majorly
On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can view articles, and even use the edit window's preview function, but
> can't save any changes.
>
> --
> Elias Friedman A.S., EMT-P
> President Congregation Knesseth Israel
> http://www.ellingtonshul.org/
>
> [hidden email]
> http://elipongo.blogspot.com/

Sandbox was deleted.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: Servers down?

Elias Friedman
On Jan 16, 2008 5:43 PM, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I can view articles, and even use the edit window's preview function,
> but I
> > can't save any changes.
>
> Large page deleted, backend servers snarled up a bit. I think it's at
> the "solved but choking it all down" stage now, but you may not want
> to quote that :-)
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>  [hidden email]

Got onto IRC, I guess someone posted a virus to the sandbox and an admin
tried to delete it. I guess that kind of annoys the servers when something
with as huge a revision history as the sandbox gets deleted.

--
Elias Friedman A.S., EMT-P
President Congregation Knesseth Israel
http://www.ellingtonshul.org/

[hidden email]
http://elipongo.blogspot.com/

Re: Servers down?

David Gerard-2
On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got onto IRC, I guess someone posted a virus to the sandbox and an admin
> tried to delete it. I guess that kind of annoys the servers when something
> with as huge a revision history as the sandbox gets deleted.

Oh for deletion of individual revisions ... it's easier to zap a rev
by oversight than by just plain deletion.

- d.

Re: Servers down?

Majorly

> On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Got onto IRC, I guess someone posted a virus to the sandbox and an admin
> > tried to delete it. I guess that kind of annoys the servers when
> something
> > with as huge a revision history as the sandbox gets deleted.
>

> Oh for deletion of individual revisions ... it's easier to zap a rev
> by oversight than by just plain deletion.
>

> - d.

Yeah, no kidding :)

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: Servers down?

Josh Gordon-2
I'm thinking the sandbox should be completely wiped every night to prevent
exactly this.

On Jan 16, 2008 3:05 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Got onto IRC, I guess someone posted a virus to the sandbox and an admin
> > tried to delete it. I guess that kind of annoys the servers when
> something
> > with as huge a revision history as the sandbox gets deleted.
>

> Oh for deletion of individual revisions ... it's easier to zap a rev
> by oversight than by just plain deletion.
>

> - d.

--jpgordon ∇∆∇∆

Re: Servers down?

David Gerard-2
On 16/01/2008, Josh Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm thinking the sandbox should be completely wiped every night to prevent
> exactly this.

Delete and recreate? Sounds good. It's not like it's a valuable
historical record. Or, move and recreate, then delete at leisure, as
people don't like bots having admin powers.

- d.

Re: Servers down?

Rjd0060 -
I agree. What is the reason to keep old sandbox edit history?

On Jan 16, 2008 6:10 PM, Josh Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm thinking the sandbox should be completely wiped every night to prevent
> exactly this.
>
> On Jan 16, 2008 3:05 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 16/01/2008, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Got onto IRC, I guess someone posted a virus to the sandbox and an
> admin
> > > tried to delete it. I guess that kind of annoys the servers when
> > something
> > > with as huge a revision history as the sandbox gets deleted.
> >

> > Oh for deletion of individual revisions ... it's easier to zap a rev
> > by oversight than by just plain deletion.
> >

> > - d.

> --jpgordon ∇∆∇∆

Rjd0060

Re: Servers down?

Thomas Dalton
> On 16/01/2008, Josh Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking the sandbox should be completely wiped every night to prevent
> > exactly this.
>

> Delete and recreate? Sounds good. It's not like it's a valuable
> historical record. Or, move and recreate, then delete at leisure, as
> people don't like bots having admin powers.

The bot could just add a special edition speedy tag and wait for the
next admin to come along.

Re: Servers down?

Nathan Awrich
Why does it not simply have a "Create your own sandbox" box (like at
WP:RFCU) or redirect into an individual [[User:Myusername/Sandbox]]?

On Jan 16, 2008 6:24 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/01/2008, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 16/01/2008, Josh Gordon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm thinking the sandbox should be completely wiped every night to prevent
> > > exactly this.
> >

> > Delete and recreate? Sounds good. It's not like it's a valuable
> > historical record. Or, move and recreate, then delete at leisure, as
> > people don't like bots having admin powers.
>
> The bot could just add a special edition speedy tag and wait for the
> next admin to come along.

Re: Servers down?

Majorly
On 16/01/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why does it not simply have a "Create your own sandbox" box (like at
> WP:RFCU) or redirect into an individual [[User:Myusername/Sandbox]]?
>
> On Jan 16, 2008 6:24 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> prevent
> > >

> > > Delete and recreate? Sounds good. It's not like it's a valuable
> > > historical record. Or, move and recreate, then delete at leisure, as
> > > people don't like bots having admin powers.
> >
> > The bot could just add a special edition speedy tag and wait for the
> > next admin to come along.

New editors would be better off using an offical one.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: Servers down?

Steve Summit
Alex wrote:
> On 16/01/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Why does it not simply have a "Create your own sandbox" box (like at
> > WP:RFCU) or redirect into an individual [[User:Myusername/Sandbox]]?
>
> New editors would be better off using an offical one.

I disagree.  I found the official sandbox perfectly useless when
I started editing Wikipedia, and that was several years ago.
The first thing I did was find out how to set up my own sandbox,
so I could try some test edits in peace, without other people's
edits (and, in particular, blankings) interfering with my own.
Such contention can only be worse (much worse) by now.

Re: Servers down?

Nathan Awrich
Agreed - an Etch-a-Sketch that anyone can shake isn't nearly so much
fun as having one all to yourself, and only if people haunt the
sandbox and point out problems to people is it of any use to have a
shared one (that I can see).

On Jan 16, 2008 6:48 PM, Steve Summit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex wrote:
> > On 16/01/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Why does it not simply have a "Create your own sandbox" box (like at
> > > WP:RFCU) or redirect into an individual [[User:Myusername/Sandbox]]?
> >
> > New editors would be better off using an offical one.
>
> I disagree.  I found the official sandbox perfectly useless when
> I started editing Wikipedia, and that was several years ago.
> The first thing I did was find out how to set up my own sandbox,
> so I could try some test edits in peace, without other people's
> edits (and, in particular, blankings) interfering with my own.
> Such contention can only be worse (much worse) by now.

Re: Servers down?

Elias Friedman
Discussion going on at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29#Deletion_restrictions_for_pages_with_long_histories

--
Elias Friedman A.S., EMT-P
President Congregation Knesseth Israel
http://www.ellingtonshul.org/

[hidden email]
http://elipongo.blogspot.com/

Re: Servers down?

Rjd0060 -
I believe (but could be wrong) that the sandbox gets "cleaned" right away
when speedy deletion tags are added, so unless something gets reprogrammed,
that would not work.

On Jan 16, 2008 7:23 PM, Elias Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Discussion going on at:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29#Deletion_restrictions_for_pages_with_long_histories
>
> --
> Elias Friedman A.S., EMT-P
> President Congregation Knesseth Israel
> http://www.ellingtonshul.org/
>
> [hidden email]
> http://elipongo.blogspot.com/

Rjd0060

Re: Servers down?

Stephen Bain
On Jan 17, 2008 10:53 AM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Agreed - an Etch-a-Sketch that anyone can shake isn't nearly so much
> fun as having one all to yourself, and only if people haunt the
> sandbox and point out problems to people is it of any use to have a
> shared one (that I can see).

That's nice for people with accounts; the "official" sandbox is useful
in a try-before-you-buy sense.

--
Stephen Bain

Re: Servers down?

Ray Saintonge
Elias Friedman wrote:
> Got onto IRC, I guess someone posted a virus to the sandbox and an admin
> tried to delete it. I guess that kind of annoys the servers when something
> with as huge a revision history as the sandbox gets deleted.
While there is a reason to maintain the revision for most articles, is
there any point to keeping a long revision history for the sandbox?

Ec