Servers in India for Wikipedia & other Wiki projects

Servers in India for Wikipedia & other Wiki projects

Dr. U.B. Pavanaja

Hi all,

Hope you are aware of the slowing of Internet in India due to the cut in undersea cable near Egypt. I am finding websites hosted outside India opening very very slowly, or some don’t open at all. Websites hosted in India open quickly. Google has servers in India. Wikipedia opens very very slowly. This brings up the idea that there must be servers in India for Wikipedia and other Wiki projects.

Thanks and regards,

Pavanaja

Re: Servers in India for Wikipedia & other Wiki projects

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Hi Pavanaja,
If servers are hosted in India, they will have to comply with local regulations. This might cause problems.
Can someone with legal knowledge like Anirudh clarify on this?

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 1:57 PM, ansuman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30 March 2013 12:08, Pavanaja U B <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Hope you are aware of the slowing of Internet in India due to the cut in undersea cable near Egypt. I am finding websites hosted outside India opening very very slowly, or some don’t open at all. Websites hosted in India open quickly. Google has servers in India. Wikipedia opens very very slowly. This brings up the idea that there must be servers in India for Wikipedia and other Wiki projects.

Thanks and regards,

Pavanaja

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.

Sign this petition to introduce Volvo buses in Coimbatore city:

Re: Servers in India for Wikipedia & other Wiki projects

Anirudh Bhati
Hi, Srikanth

Yes, if the Wikimedia Foundation sets up servers in India they will have to comply with local regulations, which is something they may not be too keen on.  SEA-ME-WE 4 is a bottleneck for India and many other countries in the region, and we can expect that the private players collaborating with the maintenance of undersea infrastructure will also invest in building redundancies so that a single cable outage does not adversely impact the region.

Cheers,
Anirudh