Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Nicholas-38
Hi everyone,

We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
subscribed?

Thanks!
--Nicholas (User:Nichalp)

--
Sent using Evolution/Ubuntu

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Michael Bimmler
Well, I'm subscribed, but just as a passive listener from Wikimedia CH.

Michael

On 11/2/07, Nicholas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> subscribed?
>
> Thanks!
> --Nicholas (User:Nichalp)
>
> --
> Sent using Evolution/Ubuntu

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Yann Forget-2
Nicholas a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> subscribed?
>
> Thanks!
> --Nicholas (User:Nichalp)

I subscribed, but I am in France.

Yann
--
http://www.non-violence.org/ | Site collaboratif sur la non-violence
http://www.forget-me.net/ | Alternatives sur le Net

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Desiphral
Hi, I'm Desiphral, admin at the Romani wiki. Hopefully, it will be adopted the draft prepared for January 2008, calling for the recognition of the Romani people as PIO and of the Romani language as an Indian language.

Desiphral

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Baishampayan Ghose
Nicholas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> subscribed?

I am here too! (User:Ghoseb)

Regards,
BG

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Ganesh Krishnamurthy
I am subscribed here.

Regards,

Ganesh (User:Ganeshk)

On 11/2/07, Nicholas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
subscribed?

Thanks!
--Nicholas (User:Nichalp)

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Akash Shah
I am subscribed here too.

Akash

On Nov 3, 2007 6:36 AM, Ganesh Krishnamurthy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am subscribed here.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ganesh (User:Ganeshk)
>
> On 11/2/07, Nicholas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> > this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> > everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> > subscribed?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --Nicholas (User:Nichalp)

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

BalaSundaraRaman

I'm here.

Regards,
Sundar
User:Sundar

"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Utkarshraj Atmaram
On Nov 2, 2007 10:54 PM, Nicholas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please could everyone respond to this mail so we know how
> many are actively

Present, Sir.

--
Utkarshraj Atmaram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Utcursch

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Angela-5
Like Michael, I lurk on many of the chapter mailing lists. I'm based
in Australia.

Angela

On 11/3/07, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I'm subscribed, but just as a passive listener from Wikimedia CH.
>
> Michael
>
> On 11/2/07, Nicholas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> > this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> > everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> > subscribed?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --Nicholas (User:Nichalp)
> >
> > --
> > Sent using Evolution/Ubuntu

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Eukesh Ranjit
Hi there,
I am subscribed. I hope that this chapter becomes functional very soon. Also, I think that it would be good idea to put up a notice in all wikipediae as well.
Regards,
Eukesh

Nicholas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
subscribed?

Thanks!
--Nicholas (User:Nichalp)

--
Sent using Evolution/Ubuntu

Abt. transliteration and scripts

Eukesh Ranjit
Hi all,

There are two issues pertaining to scripts and transliteration that I would like to discuss.

First, I have not been able to find any softwares which transliterate from non-Indian Brahmic scripts like Thai, Lao, Tibetan, Sinhale (there is one beta Sinhale-Tamil at http://www.sirppi.com/ ). Also, I have not seen any Nastaleeq/Shahmukhi/Arabic to Brahmic script transliterators (though Devnagari to Nastaleeq is present). Are there any softwares which transliterate between Indic scripts and non-Indic scripts?

I think having transliteration softwares within extended Brahmic scripts will be useful for interwiki communication and co-ordination with non Indic scripts. Also, such programs will help in a better co-ordination with Indian/South Asian projects like Urdu and Sindhi.
For those of you who dont have transliteration softwares for within Indic scripts, you can use girgit (http://devanaagarii.net/hi/girgit/) or install baraha (http://www.baraha.com).

Second issue is the use of multiple scripts within a wikipedia. Wikipedias like Kashmiri (Devnagari/Nastaleeq), Panjabi(Gurmukhi/Shahmukhi), Romani(Latin/Devnagari/Cyrillic), Pali(Devnagari/Thai/Singhale/Lao), Sindhi(Arabic/Devnagari) can be written in more than one scripts. Wikipediae like Kazakh (http://kk.wikipedia.org) and Chinese (http://zh.wikipedia.org) have been using multiple scripts in the same wikipedia for a long time now. However, we do not have such systems enabled in any of the South Asian wikipediae. We need to request the people at bugzilla for this provision but I dont know how to. Also, we need to install a inter-transliteration js in these wiki so that auto transliteration of articles occur. For this, again, we need to either have a transliteration software or build one.

So, guys, if there is any transliteration software between Indic and non Indic software or any info. abt. how to allow multiple scripts in the above mentioned wiki chapters, please post!

Regards,
Eukesh

Re: Abt. transliteration and scripts

TT Arvind
On 03/11/2007, Eukesh Ranjit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For those of you who dont have transliteration softwares for within Indic
> scripts, you can use girgit
> (http://devanaagarii.net/hi/girgit/) or install baraha
> (http://www.baraha.com).

There's also http://eemaata.com/indic2latin.php which transliterates
most Indic scripts to IAST / ISO 15919 quite accurately.  It's
particularly useful when you have scripts which have special
characters that don't map exactly to others.

regards,

Arvind

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

TT Arvind
> We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> subscribed?

I'm subscribed.

regards,

Arvind
User:Vadakkan

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Riana-2
On 07/11/2007, TT Arvind <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> subscribed?

Just a lurker. Of Indian origin but based in Australia, not sure how much I can help but will do all you need me to :)

--
Riana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Riana
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Riana

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Deepu Joseph
I'm here as well.

Regards
Deepu (User:thunderboltz)

Nicholas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We're hoping to set up a Wikimedia chapter by end of this month. Since
> this list is currently inactive, I'm hoping to revive it. Please could
> everyone respond to this mail so we know how many are actively
> subscribed?

Re: Setting up a Wikimedia India chapter

Srikeit
Another pair of eyes watching this list...

Regards
Srikeit