Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

The following primary database masters will be switched over during the
next few weeks (more details at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230788):

Impact:
*Writes will be blocked*
*Reads will remain unaffected*

These are the concrete days, hours and affected wikis:

* s8: 10th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: wikidatawiki -
tracking task: T230762

* s2: 17th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist
 - tracking task: T230785

* s3: 24th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
- tracking task: T230783

* s4: 26th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: commonswiki -
tracking task: T230784

If everything goes well, we do not expect to use those 30 minutes of
read-only and rather just a few minutes.

We will email send an email the day of each failover before and after it is
done.

Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

s8 (wikidata) master will be switched over in 40 minutes.

Manuel.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:49 PM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The following primary database masters will be switched over during the
> next few weeks (more details at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230788
> ):
>
> Impact:
> *Writes will be blocked*
> *Reads will remain unaffected*
>
> These are the concrete days, hours and affected wikis:
>
> * s8: 10th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: wikidatawiki -
> tracking task: T230762
>
> * s2: 17th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist
>  - tracking task: T230785
>
> * s3: 24th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
> - tracking task: T230783
>
> * s4: 26th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: commonswiki -
> tracking task: T230784
>
> If everything goes well, we do not expect to use those 30 minutes of
> read-only and rather just a few minutes.
>
> We will email send an email the day of each failover before and after it
> is done.
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
s8 (wikidata) master was switched over successfully.

read-only start: Tue Sep 10 05:00:47 UTC 2019
read-only stop: Tue Sep 10 05:02:14 UTC 2019

Total read-only time: 1 minute 27 seconds.

Cheers,
Manuel.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 6:18 AM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> s8 (wikidata) master will be switched over in 40 minutes.
>
> Manuel.
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:49 PM Manuel Arostegui <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The following primary database masters will be switched over during the
>> next few weeks (more details at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230788
>> ):
>>
>> Impact:
>> *Writes will be blocked*
>> *Reads will remain unaffected*
>>
>> These are the concrete days, hours and affected wikis:
>>
>> * s8: 10th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: wikidatawiki
>> - tracking task: T230762
>>
>> * s2: 17th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist
>>  - tracking task: T230785
>>
>> * s3: 24th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
>> - tracking task: T230783
>>
>> * s4: 26th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: commonswiki -
>> tracking task: T230784
>>
>> If everything goes well, we do not expect to use those 30 minutes of
>> read-only and rather just a few minutes.
>>
>> We will email send an email the day of each failover before and after it
>> is done.
>>
>> Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

s2 primary master switchover will start in 1h:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230785
List of affected wikis:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist

Thanks,

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The following primary database masters will be switched over during the
> next few weeks (more details at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230788
> ):
>
> Impact:
> *Writes will be blocked*
> *Reads will remain unaffected*
>
> These are the concrete days, hours and affected wikis:
>
> * s8: 10th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: wikidatawiki -
> tracking task: T230762
>
> * s2: 17th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist
>  - tracking task: T230785
>
> * s3: 24th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
> - tracking task: T230783
>
> * s4: 26th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: commonswiki -
> tracking task: T230784
>
> If everything goes well, we do not expect to use those 30 minutes of
> read-only and rather just a few minutes.
>
> We will email send an email the day of each failover before and after it
> is done.
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 6:00 AM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> s2 primary master switchover will start in 1h:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230785
> List of affected wikis:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist

s2 switchover was done
read-only start: 05:00:44
read-only stop: 05:01:34

Total read-only time: 50 seconds.

Manuel.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

s3 master switchover will start in 1h:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230783
List of affected wikis:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist

Further, the host that will be replaced is db1075, which crashed yesterday
evening due to HW malfunction: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T233534

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The following primary database masters will be switched over during the
> next few weeks (more details at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230788
> ):
>
> Impact:
> *Writes will be blocked*
> *Reads will remain unaffected*
>
> These are the concrete days, hours and affected wikis:
>
> * s8: 10th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: wikidatawiki -
> tracking task: T230762
>
> * s2: 17th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist
>  - tracking task: T230785
>
> * s3: 24th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
> - tracking task: T230783
>
> * s4: 26th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: commonswiki -
> tracking task: T230784
>
> If everything goes well, we do not expect to use those 30 minutes of
> read-only and rather just a few minutes.
>
> We will email send an email the day of each failover before and after it
> is done.
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 6:00 AM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> s3 master switchover will start in 1h:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230783
> List of affected wikis:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
>
> Further, the host that will be replaced is db1075, which crashed yesterday
> evening due to HW malfunction: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T233534
>
> Thanks,
> Manuel.

s3 was done successfully.

read only start: 05:10:14 UTC AM
read only stop: 05:13:08 UTC AM
total read only time: 2 minutes 54 seconds.

We had a slightly longer read only time compared to the all the previous
ones due to some issues with the way we set read-only, those will be
followed up at T233679

Thanks everyone who helped out
Manuel.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

The last switchover, from this batch, s4 (commonswiki), will start in 1h
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230784

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The following primary database masters will be switched over during the
> next few weeks (more details at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230788
> ):
>
> Impact:
> *Writes will be blocked*
> *Reads will remain unaffected*
>
> These are the concrete days, hours and affected wikis:
>
> * s8: 10th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: wikidatawiki -
> tracking task: T230762
>
> * s2: 17th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist
>  - tracking task: T230785
>
> * s3: 24th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
> - tracking task: T230783
>
> * s4: 26th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: commonswiki -
> tracking task: T230784
>
> If everything goes well, we do not expect to use those 30 minutes of
> read-only and rather just a few minutes.
>
> We will email send an email the day of each failover before and after it
> is done.
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Re: Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Manuel Arostegui
Hello,

s4 (commonswiki) was done:

Read-only start: 05:00:51
Read-only stop: 05:01:42
Total read-only time: 51 seconds

Thanks,
Manuel.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 6:00 AM Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The last switchover, from this batch, s4 (commonswiki), will start in 1h
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230784
>
> Thanks
> Manuel.
>

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:49 PM Manuel Arostegui <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The following primary database masters will be switched over during the
>> next few weeks (more details at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230788
>> ):
>>
>> Impact:
>> *Writes will be blocked*
>> *Reads will remain unaffected*
>>
>> These are the concrete days, hours and affected wikis:
>>
>> * s8: 10th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: wikidatawiki
>> - tracking task: T230762
>>
>> * s2: 17th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s2.dblist
>>  - tracking task: T230785
>>
>> * s3: 24th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The list of affected wikis is at:
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wikimedia/operations-mediawiki-config/master/dblists/s3.dblist
>> - tracking task: T230783
>>
>> * s4: 26th Sept from 05:00-05:30 UTC. The affected wiki is: commonswiki -
>> tracking task: T230784
>>
>> If everything goes well, we do not expect to use those 30 minutes of
>> read-only and rather just a few minutes.
>>
>> We will email send an email the day of each failover before and after it
>> is done.
>>
>> Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Re: [Wikidata] Several primary database masters switchovers scheduled (read-only required)

Pine W
Thanks for the updates and for the short maintenance windows.

Pine