Sharing more?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sharing more?

Kevin Gamble-2
Colleagues,

I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in trying to ramp-up the
activity of the Research Network? More discussion of results, research
ideas, methodologies, log manipulation, collaborative work, script
sharing, visualization techniques, funding, etc?

I'm not sure exactly how to make this happen but thought that it might
make a good topic itself. I'm wondering who might be coming to Boston? I'd
be willing to buy the beer if we'd like to try to get together.

Kevin

Kevin J. Gamble. Ph.D.
Associate Director eXtension Initiative
North Carolina State University
Jabber/XMMP:  [hidden email]
Web:  about.extension.org
Blog: it.extension.org/kevin

_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

Andrea Forte
I think there is also a research workshop that might happen in
Boston... I'm not 100% sure if it's on the schedule at this point.
I'll be there, I know Cormac will too. He started this page to talk
about what we might want to accomplish at such a workshop:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program/Research_thingy

I can say that the reason I haven't been sharing much is that I
haven't collected any new data recently. :-)

Andrea


On 5/21/06, Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in trying to ramp-up the
> activity of the Research Network? More discussion of results, research
> ideas, methodologies, log manipulation, collaborative work, script
> sharing, visualization techniques, funding, etc?
>
> I'm not sure exactly how to make this happen but thought that it might
> make a good topic itself. I'm wondering who might be coming to Boston? I'd
> be willing to buy the beer if we'd like to try to get together.
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin J. Gamble. Ph.D.
> Associate Director eXtension Initiative
> North Carolina State University
> Jabber/XMMP:  [hidden email]
> Web:  about.extension.org
> Blog: it.extension.org/kevin
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

Cormac Lawler
Kevin,

thanks for bringing this up. Yes, Andrea's right in pointing out that
workshop, which I'm pretty sure will be on the schedule at Wikimania.
It should be a great chance to talk shop, methodologies, etc.

But also, please feel free to propose activities or projects, even a
meeting, on the talk page of the WRN's Meta page. I know it's not
active, but I certainly follow any changes there or on the general
Research page - as I'm sure others do too.

Cheers,

Cormac


On 5/21/06, Andrea Forte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think there is also a research workshop that might happen in
> Boston... I'm not 100% sure if it's on the schedule at this point.
> I'll be there, I know Cormac will too. He started this page to talk
> about what we might want to accomplish at such a workshop:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program/Research_thingy
>
> I can say that the reason I haven't been sharing much is that I
> haven't collected any new data recently. :-)
>
> Andrea
>
>
> On 5/21/06, Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Colleagues,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in trying to ramp-up the
> > activity of the Research Network? More discussion of results, research
> > ideas, methodologies, log manipulation, collaborative work, script
> > sharing, visualization techniques, funding, etc?
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly how to make this happen but thought that it might
> > make a good topic itself. I'm wondering who might be coming to Boston? I'd
> > be willing to buy the beer if we'd like to try to get together.
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > Kevin J. Gamble. Ph.D.
> > Associate Director eXtension Initiative
> > North Carolina State University
> > Jabber/XMMP:  [hidden email]
> > Web:  about.extension.org
> > Blog: it.extension.org/kevin
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wiki-research-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

tpryor
In reply to this post by Kevin Gamble-2
Kevin,

I'm collecting user data that I will make available to any interested  
researchers. It will be published on Godseye.com within the next six  
months. The data is a sha1 hash of user ip addresses traversing page  
nodes, with dates intact. This information is unavailable from  
wikipedia for privacy reasons. I was told it would be best if I were  
to collect it myself, so I am doing so in the interests of my own  
research, but I see no reason not to pass along the fruits of the  
effort to anybody who wants it. If six months is too slow and you want  
me to hurry up, post a link to a wikipedia article on godseye!  
Anything that will help with the search engines will speed the  
process, and help me with markov models of navigation behavior. Of  
course, if you are not doing research on user behavior, this will not  
help...

Tony Pryor

Quoting Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]>:

> Colleagues,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in trying to ramp-up the
> activity of the Research Network? More discussion of results, research
> ideas, methodologies, log manipulation, collaborative work, script
> sharing, visualization techniques, funding, etc?
>
> I'm not sure exactly how to make this happen but thought that it might
> make a good topic itself. I'm wondering who might be coming to Boston? I'd
> be willing to buy the beer if we'd like to try to get together.
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin J. Gamble. Ph.D.
> Associate Director eXtension Initiative
> North Carolina State University
> Jabber/XMMP:  [hidden email]
> Web:  about.extension.org
> Blog: it.extension.org/kevin
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>


_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

Kevin Gamble-2
In reply to this post by Andrea Forte
Andre, et al:

I signed up for the workshop in Boston. Looking forward to it.

In regards to the sharing I was actually thinking of the workshop Erik and
Jakob conducted in Frankfurt. I learned a lot from that session, and came
home and started learning R and Jung. It would be nice if we could share
that type of information outside of the context of an annual meeting.

Maybe what we need is a wiki research cookbook? Sort of a step-by-step
approach with code snippets on methodologies? A wiki book?

kevin


> I think there is also a research workshop that might happen in
> Boston... I'm not 100% sure if it's on the schedule at this point.
> I'll be there, I know Cormac will too. He started this page to talk
> about what we might want to accomplish at such a workshop:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program/Research_thingy
>
> I can say that the reason I haven't been sharing much is that I
> haven't collected any new data recently. :-)
>
> Andrea
>
>
> On 5/21/06, Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Colleagues,
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in trying to ramp-up
>> the
>> activity of the Research Network? More discussion of results, research
>> ideas, methodologies, log manipulation, collaborative work, script
>> sharing, visualization techniques, funding, etc?
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly how to make this happen but thought that it might
>> make a good topic itself. I'm wondering who might be coming to Boston?
>> I'd
>> be willing to buy the beer if we'd like to try to get together.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> Kevin J. Gamble. Ph.D.
>> Associate Director eXtension Initiative
>> North Carolina State University
>> Jabber/XMMP:  [hidden email]
>> Web:  about.extension.org
>> Blog: it.extension.org/kevin
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wiki-research-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>


_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

Elisabeth Bauer
Kevin Gamble schrieb:

> Maybe what we need is a wiki research cookbook? Sort of a step-by-step
> approach with code snippets on methodologies? A wiki book?

In the German Wikipedia, we have a couple of pages in the Wikipedia
namespace, dedicated to Wikipedia research:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedistik
Researchers can describe their projects there and - if they want - also
work partially in public in the wiki.

The same could be done on an international level on meta wiki. If
there's interest here, I can set up a page similar to the german one.

regards,
elian
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

Cormac Lawler
In reply to this post by Kevin Gamble-2
Kevin,

That's great you've signed up for the workshop - looking forward to
actually meeting you this time! The meta page is just a brainstorm as
of yet, so please add ideas of what you'd like to hear/talk about etc.

A book about what can be done on wiki research is a great idea! There
are already books on Wikibooks that align with what you're thinking
of, eg. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Statistics and
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wiki_Science - there are possibly more.
But if you are proposing a space for exploring methodologies, well,
this list is a decent start - but it's also the kind of thing that I'd
like to see included in Wikiversity, ie. a community of practice about
doing research on Wikimedia or wikis in general. I'd also like to
share more about R for example - I've been struggling with it all year
;-)

Overall, I think sharing is the right way to go - I think we should be
doing a lot more of it. Incidentally, Jakob keeps a blog on his and
related work at http://wm.sieheauch.de/

Cheers,
Cormac



On 5/22/06, Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andre, et al:
>
> I signed up for the workshop in Boston. Looking forward to it.
>
> In regards to the sharing I was actually thinking of the workshop Erik and
> Jakob conducted in Frankfurt. I learned a lot from that session, and came
> home and started learning R and Jung. It would be nice if we could share
> that type of information outside of the context of an annual meeting.
>
> Maybe what we need is a wiki research cookbook? Sort of a step-by-step
> approach with code snippets on methodologies? A wiki book?
>
> kevin
>
>
> > I think there is also a research workshop that might happen in
> > Boston... I'm not 100% sure if it's on the schedule at this point.
> > I'll be there, I know Cormac will too. He started this page to talk
> > about what we might want to accomplish at such a workshop:
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program/Research_thingy
> >
> > I can say that the reason I haven't been sharing much is that I
> > haven't collected any new data recently. :-)
> >
> > Andrea
> >
> >
> > On 5/21/06, Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Colleagues,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in trying to ramp-up
> >> the
> >> activity of the Research Network? More discussion of results, research
> >> ideas, methodologies, log manipulation, collaborative work, script
> >> sharing, visualization techniques, funding, etc?
> >>
> >> I'm not sure exactly how to make this happen but thought that it might
> >> make a good topic itself. I'm wondering who might be coming to Boston?
> >> I'd
> >> be willing to buy the beer if we'd like to try to get together.
> >>
> >> Kevin
> >>
> >> Kevin J. Gamble. Ph.D.
> >> Associate Director eXtension Initiative
> >> North Carolina State University
> >> Jabber/XMMP:  [hidden email]
> >> Web:  about.extension.org
> >> Blog: it.extension.org/kevin
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
> >>
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wiki-research-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

Andrea Forte
In reply to this post by Elisabeth Bauer
There is a space for discussing research on meta, although I don't
know if it's been used in quite the same way as on the German
Wikipedia.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research

Sometimes I find it difficult to know how exactly to share anything
before I have a finished project because I tend to take a
phenomenological approach to research. Most of what I do is grounded
in human experience and practice and requires in-depth interpretative
analysis. And, of course, because I do a lot of qualitative work, the
data itself needs to be protected for the sake of my participants.
Perhaps these are issues that warrant discussion in such a resource.
:-)

andrea



On 5/22/06, Elisabeth Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kevin Gamble schrieb:
>
> > Maybe what we need is a wiki research cookbook? Sort of a step-by-step
> > approach with code snippets on methodologies? A wiki book?
>
> In the German Wikipedia, we have a couple of pages in the Wikipedia
> namespace, dedicated to Wikipedia research:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedistik
> Researchers can describe their projects there and - if they want - also
> work partially in public in the wiki.
>
> The same could be done on an international level on meta wiki. If
> there's interest here, I can set up a page similar to the german one.
>
> regards,
> elian
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki-research-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sharing more?

Kevin Gamble-2
In reply to this post by Cormac Lawler
I really like the idea of doing this in Wikiversity!

I also keep up with Jakobs page. I hadn't seen the German pages before but
that is definitely the right idea.

This is a good conversation for us to be having prior to Boston. Maybe we
can get this going.

Kevin


> Kevin,
>
> That's great you've signed up for the workshop - looking forward to
> actually meeting you this time! The meta page is just a brainstorm as
> of yet, so please add ideas of what you'd like to hear/talk about etc.
>
> A book about what can be done on wiki research is a great idea! There
> are already books on Wikibooks that align with what you're thinking
> of, eg. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Statistics and
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wiki_Science - there are possibly more.
> But if you are proposing a space for exploring methodologies, well,
> this list is a decent start - but it's also the kind of thing that I'd
> like to see included in Wikiversity, ie. a community of practice about
> doing research on Wikimedia or wikis in general. I'd also like to
> share more about R for example - I've been struggling with it all year
> ;-)
>
> Overall, I think sharing is the right way to go - I think we should be
> doing a lot more of it. Incidentally, Jakob keeps a blog on his and
> related work at http://wm.sieheauch.de/
>
> Cheers,
> Cormac
>
>
>
> On 5/22/06, Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Andre, et al:
>>
>> I signed up for the workshop in Boston. Looking forward to it.
>>
>> In regards to the sharing I was actually thinking of the workshop Erik
>> and
>> Jakob conducted in Frankfurt. I learned a lot from that session, and
>> came
>> home and started learning R and Jung. It would be nice if we could share
>> that type of information outside of the context of an annual meeting.
>>
>> Maybe what we need is a wiki research cookbook? Sort of a step-by-step
>> approach with code snippets on methodologies? A wiki book?
>>
>> kevin
>>
>>
>> > I think there is also a research workshop that might happen in
>> > Boston... I'm not 100% sure if it's on the schedule at this point.
>> > I'll be there, I know Cormac will too. He started this page to talk
>> > about what we might want to accomplish at such a workshop:
>> >
>> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program/Research_thingy
>> >
>> > I can say that the reason I haven't been sharing much is that I
>> > haven't collected any new data recently. :-)
>> >
>> > Andrea
>> >
>> >
>> > On 5/21/06, Kevin Gamble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >> Colleagues,
>> >>
>> >> I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in trying to ramp-up
>> >> the
>> >> activity of the Research Network? More discussion of results,
>> research
>> >> ideas, methodologies, log manipulation, collaborative work, script
>> >> sharing, visualization techniques, funding, etc?
>> >>
>> >> I'm not sure exactly how to make this happen but thought that it
>> might
>> >> make a good topic itself. I'm wondering who might be coming to
>> Boston?
>> >> I'd
>> >> be willing to buy the beer if we'd like to try to get together.
>> >>
>> >> Kevin
>> >>
>> >> Kevin J. Gamble. Ph.D.
>> >> Associate Director eXtension Initiative
>> >> North Carolina State University
>> >> Jabber/XMMP:  [hidden email]
>> >> Web:  about.extension.org
>> >> Blog: it.extension.org/kevin
>> >>
>> >> _______________________________________________
>> >> Wiki-research-l mailing list
>> >> [hidden email]
>> >> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>> >>
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Wiki-research-l mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>> >
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wiki-research-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
>>
>


_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Metadata extension

Kevin Gamble-2
In reply to this post by Andrea Forte
I felt a little guilty about suggesting we share more when I realized that
we had discussed this at our December meeting and that I had never
followed-up.

We have developed a metadata extension for MediaWiki that some of you
might find of interest. In December we were developing a Dublin Core
extension for Mediawiki. We have since switched that to a IEEE LOM based
tool. The only piece of this that is not totally generic is the "coverage"
element.

For anyone that is interested you can find it here:
http://it.extension.org/wiki/BettaMeta

It is very new and we have not listed it on Meta just yet. We will get
that done.

Kevin





_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metadata extension

Gerard Meijssen-3
Kevin Gamble wrote:

> I felt a little guilty about suggesting we share more when I realized that
> we had discussed this at our December meeting and that I had never
> followed-up.
>
> We have developed a metadata extension for MediaWiki that some of you
> might find of interest. In December we were developing a Dublin Core
> extension for Mediawiki. We have since switched that to a IEEE LOM based
> tool. The only piece of this that is not totally generic is the "coverage"
> element.
>
> For anyone that is interested you can find it here:
> http://it.extension.org/wiki/BettaMeta
>
> It is very new and we have not listed it on Meta just yet. We will get
> that done.
>
> Kevin
>  
Hoi,
I am reading e-mail that I have not had time to read yet. What I find
truly interesting in your mail is the "IEEE-LOM" based part. I have/had
plans to work on an IEEE-LOM implementation at some stage..

Do you have some document explaining how your approach is ? Have you
considered that there are many implementations of IEEE-LOM ?? What to do
about localisation ??

Thanks,
    GerardM
_______________________________________________
Wiki-research-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l