Sherurcij: Interview with Phelps/ Westboro Baptist Church

Sherurcij: Interview with Phelps/ Westboro Baptist Church

joshua.ainslie
Just a heads up to everybody, my interview with Westboro Baptist was confirmed today - so I'll be doing a Wikinews interview with them. I want to keep it non-partisan and try to give them a chance to display themselves as they see themselves, not just repeat the tired mantras of "omg evil Christian hatemongers" in the media - without giving them a platform to spew a personal agenda. I've got a rough list of questions I want to cover, mostly dealing with how they see/accept/ignore the rampant criticism of their church - and whether they believe that such protests are legitimate, or could be legitimate if approached a different way, or just all criticism of their church is evil and ignorant.

I'd welcome ideas for questions in the next 2-3 days from anybody interested in helping determine the shape of this interview. Also, I know the church relinquishes copyright on most of their own images - but if you know a strong, powerful image of the group (from any perspective), I'd love to see it - even if copyrighted, to see if I can't convince the photographer to release rights so we can use it.

Sherurcij.

Re: Sherurcij: Interview with Phelps/ Westboro Baptist Church

bawolff
Didn't know who they were so I looked them up on wikipedia... The
people who protest funerals of gay people...

Sounds like a promising interview, good luck, but be careful, as I
would be very surprised if they did not try to turn it into a
"platform to spew a personal agenda" as you put it.

-bawolff

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a heads up to everybody, my interview with Westboro Baptist was
> confirmed today - so I'll be doing a Wikinews interview with them. I want to
> keep it non-partisan and try to give them a chance to display themselves as
> they see themselves, not just repeat the tired mantras of "omg evil
> Christian hatemongers" in the media - without giving them a platform to spew
> a personal agenda. I've got a rough list of questions I want to cover,
> mostly dealing with how they see/accept/ignore the rampant criticism of
> their church - and whether they believe that such protests are legitimate,
> or could be legitimate if approached a different way, or just all criticism
> of their church is evil and ignorant.
> I'd welcome ideas for questions in the next 2-3 days from anybody interested
> in helping determine the shape of this interview. Also, I know the church
> relinquishes copyright on most of their own images - but if you know a
> strong, powerful image of the group (from any perspective), I'd love to see
> it - even if copyrighted, to see if I can't convince the photographer to
> release rights so we can use it.
> Sherurcij.

Re: Sherurcij: Interview with Phelps/ Westboro Baptist Church

Caleb Williams
I have to agree with that one. Good luck.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:02 PM, bawolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
Didn't know who they were so I looked them up on wikipedia... The
people who protest funerals of gay people...

Sounds like a promising interview, good luck, but be careful, as I
would be very surprised if they did not try to turn it into a
"platform to spew a personal agenda" as you put it.

-bawolff

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just a heads up to everybody, my interview with Westboro Baptist was
> confirmed today - so I'll be doing a Wikinews interview with them. I want to
> keep it non-partisan and try to give them a chance to display themselves as
> they see themselves, not just repeat the tired mantras of "omg evil
> Christian hatemongers" in the media - without giving them a platform to spew
> a personal agenda. I've got a rough list of questions I want to cover,
> mostly dealing with how they see/accept/ignore the rampant criticism of
> their church - and whether they believe that such protests are legitimate,
> or could be legitimate if approached a different way, or just all criticism
> of their church is evil and ignorant.
> I'd welcome ideas for questions in the next 2-3 days from anybody interested
> in helping determine the shape of this interview. Also, I know the church
> relinquishes copyright on most of their own images - but if you know a
> strong, powerful image of the group (from any perspective), I'd love to see
> it - even if copyrighted, to see if I can't convince the photographer to
> release rights so we can use it.
> Sherurcij.

Caleb R. Williams

Website: http://blog.calebwilliamsphotography.com
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Sherurcij: Interview with Phelps/ Westboro Baptist Church

Cary Bass-4

You mean these people?

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/bastique/sets/72157623244455213/>

(All these photographs are licensed CC-by, incidentally, feel free to
use some of them. Sherurij)

Cary

bawolff wrote:

> Didn't know who they were so I looked them up on wikipedia... The
> people who protest funerals of gay people...
>
> Sounds like a promising interview, good luck, but be careful, as I
> would be very surprised if they did not try to turn it into a
> "platform to spew a personal agenda" as you put it.
>
> -bawolff
>

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Just a heads up to everybody, my interview with Westboro Baptist
>> was confirmed today - so I'll be doing a Wikinews interview with
>> them. I want to keep it non-partisan and try to give them a
>> chance to display themselves as they see themselves, not just
>> repeat the tired mantras of "omg evil Christian hatemongers" in
>> the media - without giving them a platform to spew a personal
>> agenda. I've got a rough list of questions I want to cover,
>> mostly dealing with how they see/accept/ignore the rampant
>> criticism of their church - and whether they believe that such
>> protests are legitimate, or could be legitimate if approached a
>> different way, or just all criticism of their church is evil and
>> ignorant. I'd welcome ideas for questions in the next 2-3 days
>> from anybody interested in helping determine the shape of this
>> interview. Also, I know the church relinquishes copyright on most
>> of their own images - but if you know a strong, powerful image of
>> the group (from any perspective), I'd love to see it - even if
>> copyrighted, to see if I can't convince the photographer to
>> release rights so we can use it. Sherurcij.

- --
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation