Short URL method not working

Eric K-2
I've tried to follow directions for having a short URL (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_url ) but its not working. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Here's my situation:
  - MW is actually installed in /w. I can rename this to /wiki as well if needed.
  My objectives:
  - Short URL's like: www.MyWiki/wiki/Article_name
  - Search bots should be able to avoid History and Recent Changes links

  I can modify Htaccess. The short URL method with Htaccess worked before when I had the wiki installed in the root. I moved the wiki to a sub-directory so I can install other packages on the server (/stats, /forum, etc).

  I would be grateful if somoene can show me how I can make this work after the sub-directory move.

  Erik

Re: Short URL method not working

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 12/24/06, Eric K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   - Search bots should be able to avoid History and Recent Changes links

edit your robots.txt and add:

Disallow: /index.php
Disallow /Special:
Disallow /Special%3A

(I think that is correct .. google sitemaps seems to honour this)

>   I can modify Htaccess. The short URL method with Htaccess worked before when I had the wiki installed in the root. I moved the wiki to a sub-directory so I can install other packages on the server (/stats, /forum, etc).

Did you also update your LocalSettings.php ?

Re: Short URL method not working

Eric K-2
Thanks. Yes, previously I had added the following to my robots.txt:
Disallow: /index.php
  I'll also add the "Special" lines you mentioned.

  Yes I've played with LocalSettings.php to make the Short URL's work, but it stopped working after the sub-directory move. For the short URL's, I understand I need to adjust:
  -  .htaccess
  -  $wgScriptPath
  -  $wgArticlePath

  I'm also not sure if .htaccess should be in my server root, or the wiki sub-directory "/w".

On 12/25/06, Eric K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks. Yes, previously I had added the following to my robots.txt:
> Disallow: /index.php
>   I'll also add the "Special" lines you mentioned.
>
>   Yes I've played with LocalSettings.php to make the Short URL's work, but it stopped working after the sub-directory move. For the short URL's, I understand I need to adjust:
>   -  .htaccess
>   -  $wgScriptPath
>   -  $wgArticlePath
>
>   I'm also not sure if .htaccess should be in my server root, or the wiki sub-directory "/w".

Oh, that reminds me.. disallowing things like /index.php probably
shouldn't be done for you.. try /w/index.php or whatever is
appropriate.