Short downtime for s2 today

DaB.-2
Hello all,

to update a package with a security-problem, I have to restart z-dat-s2-b
today. This will cause sql-s2-user and sql-s2-rr to be down. The downtime wll
start at

TODAY, 19:20 UTC and should not more than a few minutes.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Userpage: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]] — PGP: 0x2d3ee2d42b255885

Re: Short downtime for s2 today

DaB.-2
Forgot the ticket-ID: MNT-1291 [1].

[1]  https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/MNT-1291

At Thursday 14 February 2013 20:30:28 DaB. wrote:
> TODAY, 19:20 UTC and should not more than a few minutes.

ok, its done.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Userpage: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]] — PGP: 0x2d3ee2d42b255885

Re: Short downtime for s2 today

Maciej Jaros
DaB. (2013-02-14 20:30):
> Hello,
> At Thursday 14 February 2013 20:30:28 DaB. wrote:
>> TODAY, 19:20 UTC and should not more than a few minutes.
> ok, its done.

Seems like S2 is going crazy for few days:
http://toolserver.org/~bryan/stats/replag/?cluster=s2#s2-daily

Not sure if related, but at least the restart seem not to have helped
;-). I've even received the Query-Killer greetings for the first time
and what was more interesting, it was on a query that should take...
hm... 0 s as it should only work on indexes (rev_pag, rev_id).

Regards,
Nux / eccenux.

At Friday 15 February 2013 21:32:53 DaB. wrote:
> Seems like S2 is going crazy for few days:
> http://toolserver.org/~bryan/stats/replag/?cluster=s2#s2-daily
>
> Not sure if related, but at least the restart seem not to have helped
> ;-). I've even received the Query-Killer greetings for the first time
> and what was more interesting, it was on a query that should take...
> hm... 0 s as it should only work on indexes (rev_pag, rev_id).

I admit that there is still room for optimization (z-dat-s2-b is our first
Debian-db-server and I started with a clean config), but if you look at the
monthly or yearly graph you can see that there were also these peaks before.
I will look what I can do, but there are several things I have to care for in
parallel at the moment.

Another news: I got a fresh s5-dump and will setup another s5-instance in the
next days. Expect a read-only-time of s5 next week (separate mail will
follow).

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Userpage: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]] — PGP: 0x2d3ee2d42b255885

Re: Short downtime for s2 today

Platonides
On 15/02/13 21:38, DaB. wrote:
> I admit that there is still room for optimization (z-dat-s2-b is our first
> Debian-db-server and I started with a clean config), but if you look at the
> monthly or yearly graph you can see that there were also these peaks before.
> I will look what I can do, but there are several things I have to care for in
> parallel at the moment.

An option would be to clone the configuration used for wmf servers. It
must be puppetized, and it should apply quite well into debian.

Re: Short downtime for s2 today

Maciej Jaros
DaB. (2013-02-15 21:38):

> Hello,
> At Friday 15 February 2013 21:32:53 DaB. wrote:
>> Seems like S2 is going crazy for few days:
>> http://toolserver.org/~bryan/stats/replag/?cluster=s2#s2-daily
>>
>> Not sure if related, but at least the restart seem not to have helped
>> ;-). I've even received the Query-Killer greetings for the first time
>> and what was more interesting, it was on a query that should take...
>> hm... 0 s as it should only work on indexes (rev_pag, rev_id).
> I admit that there is still room for optimization (z-dat-s2-b is our first
> Debian-db-server and I started with a clean config), but if you look at the
> monthly or yearly graph you can see that there were also these peaks before.
> I will look what I can do, but there are several things I have to care for in
> parallel at the moment.

Hmm... I admit that there were peaks before, but this are not peaks[1]
it's a whole mountain range ;-). Previously there were peaks, some
rumbling and it went quiet. Currently it's just a crazy ride and even
queries like this can take seconds to complete (I know because this the
only query on my first page):
   SELECT min(rc_timestamp) as rc_min, max(rc_timestamp) as rc_max FROM
`recentchanges`

Something must have changed. Some tool started going crazy or some
device is faulty.

[1] = <http://toolserver.org/~bryan/stats/replag/?cluster=s2#s2-monthly>