Should we cancel Scrum of scrums meeting?

Should we cancel Scrum of scrums meeting?

Željko Filipin
Hi,

TLDR: reply to me (off-list) if you would think Scrum of scrums is still useful.

I've been sending Scrum of scrums[0] mails to wikitech-l list since
2019-03-20[1]. The meeting has existed since 2013. I haven't done any
proper research, but a quick look says the number of participating
teams is decreasing significantly.

Quick sample, the first meeting of July in years 2014-2020.

2014-07-09 14
2015-07-01 12
2016-07-06 18
2017-07-05 16
2018-07-11 18
2019-07-03 16
2020-07-01 8

Željko
--
0: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums
1: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2019-March/091817.html

Re: Should we cancel Scrum of scrums meeting?

Mateus Santos
I would say that it's useful to me to identify and declare blocks,
sometimes I get more attention from SoS instead of Phab and Gerrit
discussions (even in this new email list model). And I also use some
filtering for keywords to highlight if the team and projects I'm part of
are mentioned in case I miss something. Maybe I'm overfitted [1] to the
task and SoS could be rethought, but right now I'm not against to keeping
it.

I imagine it's a burden to house-keep SoS every week, perhaps the email
list could be more automated to reduce that burden?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overfitting

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 2:16 PM Željko Filipin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> TLDR: reply to me (off-list) if you would think Scrum of scrums is still
> useful.
>
> I've been sending Scrum of scrums[0] mails to wikitech-l list since
> 2019-03-20[1]. The meeting has existed since 2013. I haven't done any
> proper research, but a quick look says the number of participating
> teams is decreasing significantly.
>
> Quick sample, the first meeting of July in years 2014-2020.
>
> 2014-07-09 14
> 2015-07-01 12
> 2016-07-06 18
> 2017-07-05 16
> 2018-07-11 18
> 2019-07-03 16
> 2020-07-01 8
>
> Željko
> --
> 0: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums
> 1: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2019-March/091817.html

Re: Should we cancel Scrum of scrums meeting?

Johan Jönsson-2
On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 2:17 PM Željko Filipin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> TLDR: reply to me (off-list) if you would think Scrum of scrums is still useful.
>
> I've been sending Scrum of scrums[0] mails to wikitech-l list since
> 2019-03-20[1]. The meeting has existed since 2013. I haven't done any
> proper research, but a quick look says the number of participating
> teams is decreasing significantly.
>
> Quick sample, the first meeting of July in years 2014-2020.
>
> 2014-07-09 14
> 2015-07-01 12
> 2016-07-06 18
> 2017-07-05 16
> 2018-07-11 18
> 2019-07-03 16
> 2020-07-01 8
>
> Željko

I've used the email/notes to keep up to date with things that are
happening (for Tech News reasons, for example) even though I haven't
participated, so I've seen some value here as a non-participant. But
it needs to make sense for the teams taking part, of course.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: Should we cancel Scrum of scrums meeting?

Željko Filipin

Thank you everybody for comments on- and off-list. Looks like the
meeting is still useful to some people. For now I'll only make one
change. Instead of writing updates to the etherpad[0], let's edit the
wiki page[1] directly.

I will send the usual e-mail to wikitech-l. Please let me know
(off-list) if I should send the email to additional mailing lists.

Željko
--
0: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Scrum-of-Scrums
1: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2020-07-22