Single URL watchlist feed, FAQ/docs, and editing pages

Single URL watchlist feed, FAQ/docs, and editing pages

kellyterryjones
Is there a FAQ or more docs on MediaWiki's API? The info I found:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php

seems minimal? My questions:

% I use snownews and need a single URL to see my watchlist on my
favorite MediaWiki, but this fails w/ an "internal server error":

http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=login&lgname=kellyterryjones&lgpassword=thisisnotreallymypassword&action=feedwatchlist

I can get to my watchlist using:

curl -c cookies.txt -O
'http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=login&lgname=kellyterryjones&lgpassword=stillnotmypassword

curl -b cookies.txt -O 'http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=feedwatchlist'

but it's a two-step process, and that won't work w/ snownews.

% Can I edit pages w/ the MediaWiki API or is it for queries only?

% Is /query.php dead on newer Wikis? These URLs gives me 404 errors:

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/query.php?what=allpages
http://wiki.lspace.org/query.php?what=allpages

even though the equivalent works on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/query.php?what=allpages

% How do I convice a MediaWiki that I'm a bot (and thus increase my aplimit)?

Re: Single URL watchlist feed, FAQ/docs, and editing pages

Yuri Astrakhan
Hi Kelly,

On 7/27/07, Kelly Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a FAQ or more docs on MediaWiki's API? The info I found:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php
>
> seems minimal? My questions:

Yes, that is everything we have so far. You are more than welcome to
edit http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API and make it better :)

> % I use snownews and need a single URL to see my watchlist on my
> favorite MediaWiki, but this fails w/ an "internal server error":
>
> http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=login&lgname=kellyterryjones&lgpassword=thisisnotreallymypassword&action=feedwatchlist
>
> I can get to my watchlist using:
>
> curl -c cookies.txt -O
> 'http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=login&lgname=kellyterryjones&lgpassword=stillnotmypassword
>
> curl -b cookies.txt -O 'http://wiki.lspace.org/api.php?action=feedwatchlist'
>
> but it's a two-step process, and that won't work w/ snownews.

We should at some point add an ability to login and get a watchlist in
one call. My biggest concern is that is not very secure - passing your
password in the url instead of the post.

> % Can I edit pages w/ the MediaWiki API or is it for queries only?

Not at present, working on that.

> % Is /query.php dead on newer Wikis? These URLs gives me 404 errors:
>
> http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/query.php?what=allpages
> http://wiki.lspace.org/query.php?what=allpages
>
> even though the equivalent works on Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/query.php?what=allpages

query.php is an extension - it is up to the site to enable that
extension. All mediawiki sites have it enabled.

> % How do I convice a MediaWiki that I'm a bot (and thus increase my aplimit)?

Your account must get a bot flag on that wiki.

> --
> We're just a Bunch Of Regular Guys, a collective group that's trying
> to understand and assimilate technology. We feel that resistance to
> new ideas and technology is unwise and ultimately futile.

Re: Single URL watchlist feed, FAQ/docs, and editing pages

Jim R. Wilson
> We should at some point add an ability to login and get a watchlist in
> one call. My biggest concern is that is not very secure - passing your
> password in the url instead of the post.

The way google handles this - as for Calendar or GMail RSS feeds - is to use generated URLs with huge ID keys in them.

It's sligtly more secure since a third-party that intercepts this URL will not be able to log in as you or do any other significant damage, but they will be able to subscribe to your feed.

This may be an acceptable intermediate level of security.  Your thoughts?

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)