Size of images donated

Romaine Wiki-2
Hi all,

A professional photo agency offers us (Wikimedia Belgium) a donation of images of art works. They now offer as a start these images with 595 x 842 pixels at 72 dpi. This size is almost double of that from a thumbnail size on Wikipedia. My own (not the most modern) smartphone makes images at 5.312 × 2.988 pixels at 72 dpi. Seeing the size of these images I think they are to low.

My question is: what is the minimum of quality we should ask?

Thanks!

Romaine

Re: Size of images donated

Gnangarra

Re: Size of images donated

Poco a Poco-2
Hi Romaine,

I agree with you 595 x 842 pixels = 0,5 Megapixel, that is definitively too low.
The minimum resolution required for a Quality Image [1] and also for eligible winners in contests like Wiki Loves Earth is 2 Megapixel [2]. That would be the minimum to me.

Regards,
Diego

Hi all,

A professional photo agency offers us (Wikimedia Belgium) a donation of images of art works. They now offer as a start these images with 595 x 842 pixels at 72 dpi. This size is almost double of that from a thumbnail size on Wikipedia. My own (not the most modern) smartphone makes images at 5.312 × 2.988 pixels at 72 dpi. Seeing the size of these images I think they are to low.

My question is: what is the minimum of quality we should ask?

Thanks!

Romaine

Re: Size of images donated

Reguyla

Please disenroll me from this list. If the wmf nor its communities want editors and want to support bullies because they are admins I dint want the WMFs spam.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

Re: Size of images donated

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.-2

A thumbnail of a painting we do not have is better than no image of a painting we do not have. Especially if it comes with a good metadata. Often others are inspired to search for better images and replace the thumbnail. That said 595 x 842 is quite small.

JarekT.

Re: Size of images donated

Alex Brollo
Please can you explain you comment? I don't understand it. Is my English too poor perhaps?

Alex

Please disenroll me from this list. If the wmf nor its communities want editors and want to support bullies because they are admins I dint want the WMFs spam.

Re: Size of images donated

Fæ
@Alex,

Reguyla's request should have gone to the list moderators and I'm sure
they can handle his unsubscription problem. It's off-topic so best
ignored in this thread.

Fae

On 5 May 2016 at 14:41, Alex Brollo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please can you explain you comment? I don't understand it. Is my English too
> poor perhaps?
>
> Alex

>> Please disenroll me from this list. If the wmf nor its communities want
>> editors and want to support bullies because they are admins I dint want the
>> WMFs spam.

Re: Size of images donated

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Romaine Wiki, 05/05/2016 13:51:
> My question is: what is the minimum of quality we should ask?

Bundesarchiv was the first big content partnership and already provided
800px wide images. Minimum standards should grow gradually over time,
hence Wikimedia entities and groups should keep in mind that they should
every time raise the bar compared to their predecessors.

Nowadays, from WMIT partners we usually recommend and require that they
give us the highest resolution they have. I'd consider 1000px the
minimum for decency and some 1600px the minimum for practical purposes
(it's the size of a standard postcard at 300 dpi).

The rationale I offer institutions it twofold:
* Wikimedia can't offer free resources (upload help) for such a low return;
* if you don't provide better resolution than your "competitors", your
images will not be used or will be soon replaced by others, hence all
the work spent on the partnership will be wasted on your end as well.

Nemo

Re: Size of images donated

geni
On 5 May 2016 at 12:51, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My question is: what is the minimum of quality we should ask?

Ask for the best but don't be overly concerned if you don't get it. It
just means that the images wont be used as much.

--
geni

Re: Size of images donated

Andre Engels
I agree with JarekT here: A low quality photo is better than no photo.
To me, Commons is in the first place an image resource, both for other
projects and for third parties. What we should ask is therefore: Does
the picture add to our resource, that is, can we reasonably expect
this image to be used by one of these users?

As such, we should not set a general minimum standard, but instead
compare with what is already available for the subject depicted. Each
picture should add something to what we already have - we don't want a
picture that's basically a lower quality version of an image we
already have, and for a subject of which we already have many
pictures, we only want a new one if it actually adds something - which
could be high quality but also a special point of view or whatever.

Andre Engels

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A professional photo agency offers us (Wikimedia Belgium) a donation of
> images of art works. They now offer as a start these images with 595 x 842
> pixels at 72 dpi. This size is almost double of that from a thumbnail size
> on Wikipedia. My own (not the most modern) smartphone makes images at 5.312
> × 2.988 pixels at 72 dpi. Seeing the size of these images I think they are
> to low.
>
> My question is: what is the minimum of quality we should ask?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Romaine

André Engels, [hidden email]

Re: Size of images donated

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Andre Engels, 07/05/2016 08:48:
> As such, we should not set a general minimum standard, but instead
> compare with what is already available for the subject depicted.

A topic-agnostic standard, however, does matter when it comes to using
Wikimedia resources for an official partnership. It's entirely different
if someone independently uploads a dataset with little fuss and causes
no additional work for anyone else.

Nemo