Skipcaptcha assigned to users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses

Skipcaptcha assigned to users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses

Martin Urbanec
Hi,

I created https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T227487, which proposes to add
skipcaptcha to all users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses (see
/wmf-config/throttle.php in operations/mediawiki-config for that). This can
make some events go more smoothly. Given users coming from such addresses
are generally trusted, this shouldn't be an issue IMHO.

What do the others think?

Martin

Re: Skipcaptcha assigned to users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses

Pine W
Hi Martin,

I'm not familiar with all of the information about how WMF currently uses
CAPTCHAs, but I suggest being careful about doing anything that could add
to the workloads of volunteer patrollers, admins, and checkusers. My
feeling is that you should consult with people who are most likely to get
more work as a result of this change, even if you think that any negative
impact will be negligible. There may be some requests for carefully
designed tests to ensure that any changes do not result in surprise
increases to workloads for existing volunteers who already have more than
enough work to do.

Pine

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 2:37 PM Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T227487, which proposes to add
> skipcaptcha to all users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses (see
> /wmf-config/throttle.php in operations/mediawiki-config for that). This can
> make some events go more smoothly. Given users coming from such addresses
> are generally trusted, this shouldn't be an issue IMHO.
>
> What do the others think?
>
> Martin

Re: Skipcaptcha assigned to users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses

Martin Urbanec
Hi Pine,

well, I'm a patroller, admin and a checkuser myself, and as you know, I
don't see a problem with this change :-). Anyway, I'm just one of them. At
least in cswiki, admns don't have issues with manually confirming users on
request by course coordinator, autoconfirmed shouldn't be a big deal.

Don't know how to consult (all) patrollers etc., IIRC there is no central
list for them or anything like that. Feel free to forward my message to
anywhere you think it is helpful (please, ping me/CC me in such messages,
so I can watch the conversation on that place as well).

I've added
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tech%2FNews%2F2019%2F30&type=revision&diff=19203494&oldid=19203433>this
to next tech news, to notify about this change more widely than "just" on
wikitech-l.

Martin

pá 12. 7. 2019 v 0:05 odesílatel Pine W <[hidden email]> napsal:

> Hi Martin,
>
> I'm not familiar with all of the information about how WMF currently uses
> CAPTCHAs, but I suggest being careful about doing anything that could add
> to the workloads of volunteer patrollers, admins, and checkusers. My
> feeling is that you should consult with people who are most likely to get
> more work as a result of this change, even if you think that any negative
> impact will be negligible. There may be some requests for carefully
> designed tests to ensure that any changes do not result in surprise
> increases to workloads for existing volunteers who already have more than
> enough work to do.
>
> Pine
>

> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 2:37 PM Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I created https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T227487, which proposes to
> add
> > skipcaptcha to all users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses (see
> > /wmf-config/throttle.php in operations/mediawiki-config for that). This
> can
> > make some events go more smoothly. Given users coming from such addresses
> > are generally trusted, this shouldn't be an issue IMHO.
> >
> > What do the others think?
> >
> > Martin

Re: Skipcaptcha assigned to users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses

Pine W
Hi Martin,

I think that putting the info in Tech News is a good idea. I would suggest
reaching out to wikis that get large volumes of new users to ask for input
from patrollers and other users who could be affected. Here are a few
places that I would recommend on ENWP for short notices regarding the
proposed change.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Recent_changes_patrol
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)

I also suggest testing the change in phases before scaling it up to all
wikis, in order to check for unintended consequences.

Thank you in advance for being careful about the implementation of this
change. The change might work perfectly well, but sometimes "the road to
hell is paved with good intentions", so I think that some advance
consultation and a phased rollout with a moderate amount of testing would
be a good idea.

Pine

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:43 PM Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Pine,
>
> well, I'm a patroller, admin and a checkuser myself, and as you know, I
> don't see a problem with this change :-). Anyway, I'm just one of them. At
> least in cswiki, admns don't have issues with manually confirming users on
> request by course coordinator, autoconfirmed shouldn't be a big deal.
>
> Don't know how to consult (all) patrollers etc., IIRC there is no central
> list for them or anything like that. Feel free to forward my message to
> anywhere you think it is helpful (please, ping me/CC me in such messages,
> so I can watch the conversation on that place as well).
>
> I've added
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tech%2FNews%2F2019%2F30&type=revision&diff=19203494&oldid=19203433
> >this
> to next tech news, to notify about this change more widely than "just" on
> wikitech-l.
>
> Martin
>
> pá 12. 7. 2019 v 0:05 odesílatel Pine W <[hidden email]> napsal:
>
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > I'm not familiar with all of the information about how WMF currently uses
> > CAPTCHAs, but I suggest being careful about doing anything that could add
> > to the workloads of volunteer patrollers, admins, and checkusers. My
> > feeling is that you should consult with people who are most likely to get
> > more work as a result of this change, even if you think that any negative
> > impact will be negligible. There may be some requests for carefully
> > designed tests to ensure that any changes do not result in surprise
> > increases to workloads for existing volunteers who already have more than
> > enough work to do.
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 2:37 PM Martin Urbanec <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I created https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T227487, which proposes to
> > add
> > > skipcaptcha to all users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses
> (see
> > > /wmf-config/throttle.php in operations/mediawiki-config for that). This
> > can
> > > make some events go more smoothly. Given users coming from such
> addresses
> > > are generally trusted, this shouldn't be an issue IMHO.
> > >
> > > What do the others think?
> > >
> > > Martin

Re: Skipcaptcha assigned to users coming from throttle-exempted IP addresses

Martin Urbanec
Hi Pine,

sent a message (
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Recent_changes_patrol&diff=906393864&oldid=902955627)
to Wikipedia talk:Recent changes patrol. Technical village pump receives
tech news, so I believe it isn't necessary to write an explicit message
there.

I totally understand what you say, that's the reason why I wrote a
notification in advance to this list.

Martin