Slashdot trolling phenomena

Erik Moeller-4
One of my favorite early Wikipedia articles (nerdy as that is) was a
page called "Slashdot trolling phenomena" which described all the most
common styles of Slashdot trolls. Of course, it was later nuked as
original research with insufficient sourcing, and is preserved only in
user-space:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kadin2048/Slashdot_Trolling_Phenomena

I thought about this page today because of Slashdot's story about
Steve Jobs' early death:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/10/06/000211/steve-jobs-dead-at-56

The story text is, of course, a verbatim copy of the original Slashdot
troll about Stephen King's death. You can see it more closely by
comparing the original submission:

http://apple.slashdot.org/submission/1808868/sad-news--steve-jobs-dead-at-56

"I just heard some sad news on talk radio — Apple cofounder Steve Jobs
was found dead in his Cupertino home this morning. There weren't any
more details. I'm sure everyone in the Slashdot community will miss
him — even if you didn't enjoy his work, there's no denying his
contributions to popular culture. Truly an American icon."

vs.

"I just heard some sad news on talk radio - Horror/Sci Fi writer
Stephen King was found dead in his Maine home this morning. There
weren't any more details. I'm sure everyone in the Slashdot community
will miss him - even if you didn't enjoy his work, there's no denying
his contributions to popular culture. Truly an American icon."

I doubt that the responsible Slashdot editor was aware that they were
falling for a troll. Is there a lesson here somewhere? If so, it's
perhaps that documentation of subcultures in Wikipedia is very much
worth doing.

(And, RIP Steve.)

Erik

Re: Slashdot trolling phenomena

MuZemike
The same thing happened after Michael Jackson's death; IIRC there was a
website in which people could insert a celebrity's name, and a "death
article" would spew out. I recalled somebody did that with Kevin Spacey
back in 2009:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kevin_Spacey&diff=298662379&oldid=298662328.

http://kevin.spacey.mediafetcher.com/news/top_stories/actor_st_tropez.php
http://justin.bieber.mediafetcher.com/news/top_stories/actor_st_tropez.php
http://david.guetta.mediafetcher.com/news/top_stories/actor_st_tropez.php

-MuZemike

On 10/6/2011 1:07 AM, Erik Moeller wrote:

> One of my favorite early Wikipedia articles (nerdy as that is) was a
> page called "Slashdot trolling phenomena" which described all the most
> common styles of Slashdot trolls. Of course, it was later nuked as
> original research with insufficient sourcing, and is preserved only in
> user-space:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kadin2048/Slashdot_Trolling_Phenomena
>
> I thought about this page today because of Slashdot's story about
> Steve Jobs' early death:
>
> http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/10/06/000211/steve-jobs-dead-at-56
>
> The story text is, of course, a verbatim copy of the original Slashdot
> troll about Stephen King's death. You can see it more closely by
> comparing the original submission:
>
> http://apple.slashdot.org/submission/1808868/sad-news--steve-jobs-dead-at-56
>
> "I just heard some sad news on talk radio — Apple cofounder Steve Jobs
> was found dead in his Cupertino home this morning. There weren't any
> more details. I'm sure everyone in the Slashdot community will miss
> him — even if you didn't enjoy his work, there's no denying his
> contributions to popular culture. Truly an American icon."
>
> vs.
>
> "I just heard some sad news on talk radio - Horror/Sci Fi writer
> Stephen King was found dead in his Maine home this morning. There
> weren't any more details. I'm sure everyone in the Slashdot community
> will miss him - even if you didn't enjoy his work, there's no denying
> his contributions to popular culture. Truly an American icon."
>
> I doubt that the responsible Slashdot editor was aware that they were
> falling for a troll. Is there a lesson here somewhere? If so, it's
> perhaps that documentation of subcultures in Wikipedia is very much
> worth doing.
>
> (And, RIP Steve.)
>
> Erik

Re: Slashdot trolling phenomena

Ken Arromdee
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Erik Moeller wrote:
> I doubt that the responsible Slashdot editor was aware that they were
> falling for a troll. Is there a lesson here somewhere? If so, it's
> perhaps that documentation of subcultures in Wikipedia is very much
> worth doing.

Wikipiedia has a general problem with sourcing anything that mainly appears
on the Internet, because anything that is written in a personal website,
blog, etc. is not considered professionally published and fails the reliable
sources and self-published tests.

Re: Slashdot trolling phenomena

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Ken Arromdee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Erik Moeller wrote:
>> I doubt that the responsible Slashdot editor was aware that they were
>> falling for a troll. Is there a lesson here somewhere? If so, it's
>> perhaps that documentation of subcultures in Wikipedia is very much
>> worth doing.
>
> Wikipiedia has a general problem with sourcing anything that mainly appears
> on the Internet, because anything that is written in a personal website,
> blog, etc. is not considered professionally published and fails the reliable
> sources and self-published tests.

Or rather, the tests consistently fail the laugh test, but we as a
community are too tight-sphinctered about our respectability to mind
we fail big time in the comprehensivity department... /dour-sarcasm