Slidershow: Proposal for a JavaScript-based feature to enhance some articles

Slidershow: Proposal for a JavaScript-based feature to enhance some articles

Arne 'Timwi' Heizmann

Hello!

A friend of mine wrote a piece of JavaScript that would allow editors to
create a little widget inside an article that lets the user flick
through a series of images (like an interactive slideshow).

Would this be something that would be welcome to be added on Wikipedia?

For example, if you had several maps of the world coloured according to
data for various years, the user could flick through the years and see
how the map changes.

This has several advantages compared to existing solutions:

1. Animated GIFs cannot be controlled by the user, so the user cannot
look at a particular frame for the amount of time that they want, and
nor can they easily move backwards to an earlier frame.

2. Placing many of these images in a gallery or stacked vertically makes
it quite hard to interpret a progression or to compare a specific part
of the image.

The solution we came up with would allow editors to place something like
this in the article wikitext:

; Term One : [[Image:Image One.jpg|300px]] Description One
; Term Two : [[Image:Image Two.jpg|300px]] Description Two
; Term Three : [[Image:Image Three.jpg|300px]] Description Three

and the JavaScript would automatically trigger on the “slidershow”
classname and turn this into an interactive widget.

To demonstrate what the widget looks like, I uploaded it here:

        http://timwi.de/wiki/slider.htm

This currently works fine in Firefox, Opera and Chrome. (If there’s
demand, we can try to get it to work in IE too).

You can use mouse clicks, drag-and-drop, or the mouse wheel to operate
the slider and flick through the images.

Would this be something that would be welcome to be added on Wikipedia?
It would only need adding to [[MediaWiki:Common.js]] and the above
wikitext would magically start working.

If this is the wrong place to ask about this, please suggest where to
ask instead.

Thanks!
Timwi

Re: Slidershow: Proposal for a JavaScript-based feature to enhance some articles

paolo massa
Beautiful!
On Manypedia we wanted to give a visual impression of the two compared
articles (same article from 2 different language wikipedias) and we used a
bit of jquery to assemble thumbnails of all images on top of the article
page. If you mouse over an image, you can see the enlarged image.
For an example see
http://www.manypedia.com/#|en|Jerusalem|ar
or search for any other page on Manypedia.

Feedback is welcome!

Paolo Massa
Email: paolo AT gnuband DOT org
Blog: http://gnuband.org

On 17/07/2011 19:09, Timwi wrote:
> Would this be something that would be welcome to be added on Wikipedia?

Since there has been no response here, where should I post this to
receive some feedback and potentially have it included in Wikipedia?

Re: Slidershow: Proposal for a JavaScript-based feature to enhance some articles

David Gerard-2
On 21 July 2011 15:32, Timwi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 17/07/2011 19:09, Timwi wrote:

>> Would this be something that would be welcome to be added on Wikipedia?

> Since there has been no response here, where should I post this to
> receive some feedback and potentially have it included in Wikipedia?

Well, I liked the idea :-) Somewhere on Village Pump?

- d.

Re: Slidershow: Proposal for a JavaScript-based feature to enhance some articles

Steve Bennett-8
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 4:09 AM, Timwi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ; Term One : [[Image:Image One.jpg|300px]] Description One
> ; Term Two : [[Image:Image Two.jpg|300px]] Description Two
> ; Term Three : [[Image:Image Three.jpg|300px]] Description Three

Why not integrate it with the existing <gallery> syntax?

Steve