Slow Response Time When Editing

Marc Riddell
Is anyone else experiencing an extremely long response time when trying to
edit the English Wikipedia? When trying to "Save Page" on my last two edits,
both resulted in time outs and wouldn't, or couldn't, complete the edit. In
both cases I finally gave up. Any suggestions?

Marc

Re: Slow Response Time When Editing

Tim Starling-2
On 12/04/11 06:39, Marc Riddell wrote:
> Is anyone else experiencing an extremely long response time when trying to
> edit the English Wikipedia? When trying to "Save Page" on my last two edits,
> both resulted in time outs and wouldn't, or couldn't, complete the edit. In
> both cases I finally gave up. Any suggestions?

Usually this means that the templates on the page are too slow to
parse. Try cutting down the navboxes.

Putting {{REVISIONID}} or a related variable on the page will cause it
to be parsed twice on save, so saving will take twice as long as
previewing. Certain kinds of abuse filter rule also cause a double
parse on save. If it takes more than 3 minutes, then the edit won't go
through.

-- Tim Starling

on 4/11/11 9:44 PM, Tim Starling at [hidden email] wrote:

> On 12/04/11 06:39, Marc Riddell wrote:
>> Is anyone else experiencing an extremely long response time when trying to
>> edit the English Wikipedia? When trying to "Save Page" on my last two edits,
>> both resulted in time outs and wouldn't, or couldn't, complete the edit. In
>> both cases I finally gave up. Any suggestions?
>
> Usually this means that the templates on the page are too slow to
> parse. Try cutting down the navboxes.
>
> Putting {{REVISIONID}} or a related variable on the page will cause it
> to be parsed twice on save, so saving will take twice as long as
> previewing. Certain kinds of abuse filter rule also cause a double
> parse on save. If it takes more than 3 minutes, then the edit won't go
> through.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Tim, thank you for responding. First I need to say that the sum total of my
technical computer skills amounts to type, point and click :-). But I have
somehow managed nearly 9,000 edits since I started without crashing the
Project :-). I understand most of what you said, but I don't know what a
"navbox" is. My problem of slow response to editing started abruptly about a
week ago, and has gotten progressively worse - to the point where my last
two attempts (yesterday) resulted in my giving up trying.

These are the last two articles I tried to edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Lillie

* In her article her birth name is incorrect, and I have the correct one
with a reference.

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Chapin

* With him, I have his full birth & death dates with a reference.

Both of these edits timed out and couldn't complete the edit.

Most of my editing has consisted of researching and finding the more
obscure, fine details of an article. I do this with the help of the library
teams at the Pratt Library in Baltimore, and the New York Public Library.
But, since my edits cannot be completed, I've just about given up. I hope
you can understand and help.

Thank you, Tim,

Marc Riddell

Re: Slow Response Time When Editing

Carcharoth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NAVBOX

> These are the last two articles I tried to edit:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Lillie
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Chapin

Only template on the latter is Persondata. The former has lots of
templates, but if you are getting the same problem with both articles,
the problem is likely not templates.

Carcharoth

On 13/04/11 00:19, Marc Riddell wrote:
> Tim, thank you for responding. First I need to say that the sum total of my
> technical computer skills amounts to type, point and click :-). But I have
> somehow managed nearly 9,000 edits since I started without crashing the
> Project :-). I understand most of what you said, but I don't know what a
> "navbox" is. My problem of slow response to editing started abruptly about a
> week ago, and has gotten progressively worse - to the point where my last
> two attempts (yesterday) resulted in my giving up trying.

That sounds more like a network issue, maybe a problem with your ISP.
Could you maybe get on IRC during European business hours, say using
this form:

http://webchat.freenode.net/

Go to channel "#wikimedia-tech" and talk to Mark Bergsma (nickname
"mark"). He should be able to sort it out.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Slow Response Time When Editing

Marc Riddell

> On 13/04/11 00:19, Marc Riddell wrote:
>> Tim, thank you for responding. First I need to say that the sum total of my
>> technical computer skills amounts to type, point and click :-). But I have
>> somehow managed nearly 9,000 edits since I started without crashing the
>> Project :-). I understand most of what you said, but I don't know what a
>> "navbox" is. My problem of slow response to editing started abruptly about a
>> week ago, and has gotten progressively worse - to the point where my last
>> two attempts (yesterday) resulted in my giving up trying.
>
> That sounds more like a network issue, maybe a problem with your ISP.
> Could you maybe get on IRC during European business hours, say using
> this form:
>
> http://webchat.freenode.net/
>
> Go to channel "#wikimedia-tech" and talk to Mark Bergsma (nickname
> "mark"). He should be able to sort it out.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Thank you, Tim. I'm not really surprised that it could be my ISP. I'll go
with your suggestion, and let you know what I learn.

on 4/13/11 7:45 AM, Tim Starling at [hidden email] wrote:

> That sounds more like a network issue, maybe a problem with your ISP.

Tim,

I just spent some time with a Comcast technician. And, after she stopped
being amazed that I was still using Internet Explorer on a Mac, she
considered the problem and concluded that I needed to clear my cache &
cookies & whatever other snacks that were lurking there. Then, she had to
get over being amazed that I had never done this before - ever!. I learned a
lot. I can now successfully edit WP; although it's still pretty slow to
respond.

Cut me a break; you don't have to be an automotive engineer to drive a car
:-).

Thanks, again,

Marc