Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Steve Bennett-4
Would it be possible to follow the lead of many websites, and replace
the two-step phase "The page ... has been removed from your
watchlist."/click "Return to ...", by a one-step phase, whereby the
page is shown again, but with a banner up the top that reads "This
page has been removed from your watchlist"?

I imagine the mechanism would be something like what happens when you
click a redirect (as we were discussing recently): The target of the
redirect is shown, but with some added text explaining where you came
from.

This would apply to at least these actions:
* Watch
* Unwatch
* Move

Something similar could be done when saving an edit, adding text like
"Your edit has been saved."

Any takers? Should I bugzilla this asa  formal feature requset?

Steve
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Rob Church
On 26/08/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would it be possible to follow the lead of many websites, and replace
> the two-step phase "The page ... has been removed from your
> watchlist."/click "Return to ...", by a one-step phase, whereby the
> page is shown again, but with a banner up the top that reads "This
> page has been removed from your watchlist"?
>
> I imagine the mechanism would be something like what happens when you
> click a redirect (as we were discussing recently): The target of the
> redirect is shown, but with some added text explaining where you came
> from.

>From the UI perspective, yes. From the backend perspective...well...

> This would apply to at least these actions:
> * Watch
> * Unwatch
> * Move

Disagree with moves; users need to be more aware of what needs to
happen as a consequence of moving large pages, and the screen full of
information that appears after a move is the best place for it.
>
> Something similar could be done when saving an edit, adding text like
> "Your edit has been saved."

Might be a nice bit of visual confirmation, although it requires a
change to how we handle the process; right now, we issue a redirect
and make the user re-request the page.

> Any takers? Should I bugzilla this asa  formal feature requset?

Yes.


Rob Church
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Tels
In reply to this post by Steve Bennett-4
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Moin,

On Saturday 26 August 2006 16:17, Steve Bennett wrote:

> Would it be possible to follow the lead of many websites, and replace
> the two-step phase "The page ... has been removed from your
> watchlist."/click "Return to ...", by a one-step phase, whereby the
> page is shown again, but with a banner up the top that reads "This
> page has been removed from your watchlist"?
>
> I imagine the mechanism would be something like what happens when you
> click a redirect (as we were discussing recently): The target of the
> redirect is shown, but with some added text explaining where you came
> from.
>
> This would apply to at least these actions:
> * Watch
> * Unwatch
> * Move

Please ad "login". I hate it when I want to edit, then have to click in that
order:

  * while loged out, click "edit"
  * see msg about need to log int, click "login"
  * (firefox fills in pwd/user) press button "login"
  * click "go back to page"
  * click "edit"

That could be reduced by at least one click :)

All the best,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Sat Aug 26 17:01:33 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 Visit my photo gallery at http://bloodgate.com/photos/
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "My glasses, my glasses. I cannot see without my glasses." - "My
 glasses, my glasses. I cannot be seen without my glasses."

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)

iQEVAwUBRPBi7ncLPEOTuEwVAQLJHAf9H+cFsmiy+SEvIIk3qKlk+3wXy/q6xMVn
l8WWFF8XgJaLVTCmcTHK5yXeoh8iGFvVgbYrzaPfVCnNALTyqiplk5hYicux43fc
4JfuJa9HvgqWia/5RQL8484bwaK+3HS0QBDpeFPKt9Jo3RJ133w1ucKuJCON0zs0
I7uEZTiIhxg9DnBryrd0KGl0vfFEQKZ8vzhGNemv1BdykNWeMWtVMgbCMjzN3mAb
DR/heVyH01CrjABgZwa9fYA9mrR7aiiKbZiYhQCEkxXkTg5I7WxB8ogWOHuoESR+
jyKooecovVpdaH1SW1e+e8s4eto1Lbzg1hi3+o9DR3ockv6LOBeYcw==
=c4pl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Steve Bennett-4
In reply to this post by Rob Church
On 8/26/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Disagree with moves; users need to be more aware of what needs to
> happen as a consequence of moving large pages, and the screen full of
> information that appears after a move is the best place for it.

That's actually fair enough. But boy that text could be improved.
There should be *law* against having two hyperlinks in the same
sentence when you actually *want* the user to click on one of them.
I'm talking about the sentence that goes "Please [check] to see if any
[double redirects] have been created." It should be something like
"Please check to see if any double redirects have been created. [Show
all double redirects]."

Filing...

Steve
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Steve Bennett-4
In reply to this post by Rob Church
On 8/26/06, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any takers? Should I bugzilla this asa  formal feature requset?
>
> Yes.

http://bugzilla.wikipedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7129

Steve
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Tim Starling
In reply to this post by Tels
Tels wrote:

> Please ad "login". I hate it when I want to edit, then have to click in that
> order:
>
>   * while loged out, click "edit"
>   * see msg about need to log int, click "login"
>   * (firefox fills in pwd/user) press button "login"
>   * click "go back to page"
>   * click "edit"
>
> That could be reduced by at least one click :)

More than one, we could just put a username and password box on the edit form.

-- Tim Starling

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Steve Bennett-4
On 8/29/06, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> More than one, we could just put a username and password box on the edit form.

I think I suggested exactly that in the bug report :)

Steve
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Jay Ashworth-2
In reply to this post by Tim Starling
On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 01:32:04PM +1000, Tim Starling wrote:

> Tels wrote:
> > Please ad "login". I hate it when I want to edit, then have to click in that
> > order:
> >
> >   * while loged out, click "edit"
> >   * see msg about need to log int, click "login"
> >   * (firefox fills in pwd/user) press button "login"
> >   * click "go back to page"
> >   * click "edit"
> >
> > That could be reduced by at least one click :)
>
> More than one, we could just put a username and password box on the edit form.

*Puhleeze*?  (and you might want to put the obligatory companion "Log
me in?" "Remember me?" and "Don't ever remember anyone, this is a
public computer" check boxes, though perhaps that's too much...)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [hidden email]
Designer                          Baylink                             RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates        The Things I Think                        '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA      http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        The Internet: We paved paradise, and put up a snarking lot.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Rob Church
On 29/08/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *Puhleeze*?  (and you might want to put the obligatory companion "Log
> me in?" "Remember me?" and "Don't ever remember anyone, this is a
> public computer" check boxes, though perhaps that's too much...)

"Puhleeze"? You can't submit a patch? ;)


Rob Church
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Jay Ashworth-2
On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:12:19PM +0100, Rob Church wrote:
> On 29/08/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > *Puhleeze*?  (and you might want to put the obligatory companion "Log
> > me in?" "Remember me?" and "Don't ever remember anyone, this is a
> > public computer" check boxes, though perhaps that's too much...)
>
> "Puhleeze"? You can't submit a patch? ;)

:-)

Even if I wasn't hanging paper on three houses with only one hand, I
probably couldn't, no.  Dammit, Rob, I'm an analyst, not a programmer.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [hidden email]
Designer                          Baylink                             RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates        The Things I Think                        '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA      http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        The Internet: We paved paradise, and put up a snarking lot.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Smoother treatment of actions like "unwatch"

Rob Church
On 29/08/06, Jay R. Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Even if I wasn't hanging paper on three houses with only one hand, I
> probably couldn't, no.  Dammit, Rob, I'm an analyst, not a programmer.

All right, then...

...I want a UI mockup, full implementation plans (incl. flow charts
and a few GANTT chars), proof-of-concept code and volunteers to cover
all aspects of user discussion, integration, education; documentation
updating, advertising, etc., STAT!


Rob Church
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l